Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,143,674 times

Advertisements

[quote=sierraAZ;1822447]Just out of curiosity, happy fellow AZ Aussie, what would you have done if you didn't have the means to support yourself all these months...?! I can guarantee you that the majority of this cheerful crowd applauding you here would go bankrupt if they didn't have a job for that long (speaking for individuals - being part of a couple helps, provided the other part is employed ).
Like AZ my wife is foreign born . Thailand. She came here with the K1 visa. As AZ said it is indeed a tedious process and quite redundant even after you arrive. And for a reason. Health and security.
What nation offers instant residency status with no back ground checks and no financial security? As someone asked why is it assumed that the USA owes the worlds poor a job and a home?
AZ welcome to your new home I for one am glad your here . You are exactly the kind of immigrant this country really needs. Honest and thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,120,052 times
I look at immigrants wanting to come here as the rest of us having to be on a budget and save for things. So if you know you want to come to USA then start saving up for it, you already know it will be a wad of money right? What is the difference of an illegal immigrant coming here working 2-3 jobs and doing it back home to save up?

I thank you OP for sharing and also welcome you into your new country.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM

17 posts, read 41,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Can anyone cite successful examples of recent legal immigration that were not marriage-or-family-based?

Can anyone cite successful examples of recent immigration that were not the result of L1 company transfers or (from the vanishingly-small pool of) H1 advanced technical degree (indentured servant) visas?
Hi Sponger
I would say nope I can't. The only Aussie's I've known that have came here have either 1) Had money or 2) Been offered a job due to their field of work (ie. College Educated)

I know it seems unfair in concept to only allow people who are in a more 'well to do' situation migrate here but there is generaly little concern that they will be a burden on the system. They either contribute to the economy by spending, or by working and paying taxes.
As people have said, America shouldn't have to pick up the tab for people who'd just like to move here with little to no money and work a normal job. I guess the concern is if someone moves here of their own accord to be say a plumber, what will happen to them if they ever find themselves out of work? Should they be allowed to just go on welfare? How would they keep a roof over their head with no family to support them or little money in the bank?
People who are currently allowed to migrate including myself aren't entitled to use government services and nor should we be. This goes back to the fact we either have money or family to help us out.
Now before I'm asked what would happen to me if I split up with my husband (which is a valid point) I would have to leave the country under orders of immigration reguardless of if I was working or not. Should this be an option for people who migrate here legally for labour jobs if they are out of work?
What if they had come from a country in Europe, Asia or even Australia and couldn't afford to leave? Should America pick up the tab on the flight home or let them live on welfare until they get back on their feet? (I feel they really aren't owed either option but that's just my personal opinion).
There are so many questions when it comes to this topic...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,430,491 times
AZaussie,

How do you feel about the way aborigines are treated in Australia?
Now imagine one of those people trying to migrate to the US legally.

BTW I lived in Penrith just outside of Syndey I know how badly they are looked upon, how oppressed and poor they are in Australia.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
AZaussie,

BTW I lived in Penrith just outside of Syndey I know how badly they are looked upon and how oppressed and poor they are in Australia.
Yvonne Goolagong lived in the USA for a while.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM

1,179 posts, read 3,795,038 times
Well it seems to me it's the laws and process which might need to be fixed. That does not in my opinion make it ok to break the law and come here illegally just because the laws might need some fixing. Until they are changed, that is the way it's supposed to be done, and I thank the poster for doing it legally. I have a friend here from Poland on a visa who is trying to get to stay legally. I don't think it's going to end up happening for him. That makes me sad. And really angry at all the people doing it illegally making it difficult for others to do it right. Get the laws fixed.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,430,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yvonne Goolagong lived in the USA for a while.
I am not talking about Tennis Champions.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM

17 posts, read 41,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
AZaussie,

BTW I lived in Penrith just outside of Syndey I know how badly they are looked upon, how oppressed and poor they are in Australia.
Hey there, Mach
I'm wondering if you are American or Aussie? It is a broad generalization to say ALL Aboriginal people are poor because that's not the case. I could have some Aboriginal heritage for all anyone on the forum would know
I know there are communities with a lot of problems and my opinion on those areas is that it's about give and take. There is more the Australian Govt. could be doing to help some of those people but on the same token there is more some of them could be doing to help themselves.
I'm really in no position to speak on anyone's behalf on this topic because I haven't lived in one of those communities.
To answer your other question I don't see a problem with anyone (Aboriginal or not) migrating to the US as long as they can fit the critera the US asks.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
That does not in my opinion make it ok to break the law and come here illegally just because the laws might need some fixing.
Is it okay for a "law-abiding" citizen to out the Underground Railroad workers because the law that still needs to be fixed hasn't been fixed yet? I would call that person a traitor. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's moral. You don't have to obey unjust laws.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,458,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Is it okay for a "law-abiding" citizen to out the Underground Railroad workers because the law that still needs to be fixed hasn't been fixed yet? I would call that person a traitor. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's moral. You don't have to obey unjust laws.
What? If you think the tax code is unjust, you don't have to pay your taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration