U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Mexicans are not slaves in America, they come here on their own cognition.
Although I will agree American companies treat them like slaves.

Many Americans seem to have highly selective history memory, it was America that forcefully took Texas and then used that to get California.
I agree with greatbasinguide, life is cyclical, what comes around, goes around..at least Mexicans are coming here without a lot of violence, like say US in Iraq or with numerous bases in countries around the globe.
American had nothing to do with Texas war for independence. It took a number of years before Texas could get the US to accept them into the union. It was the people and Mexico's attitudes toward non Spaniards and non-catholics that really started that war.

I have worked around a lot of Mexicans during my life in San Antonio and probably a lot of them were illegal. I couldn't tell you which were and which weren't. Like you indicated, I never saw any of them treated like slaves. They hold as much power in a labor negotiation as anyone else. Many take lower paying menial jobs because they do not have education or skills for the higher paying jobs, but even at those jobs the employers know they are needed and hard to replace quickly with another trained employee. I have never seen anyone treated any differently than any employee of any other race. In environments where verbal abuse or crooked payment schemes are common, the whites, blacks and asians are just as subject to them as the mexicans.

Perhaps things are different where some live, but that is not how it is here. At least not in the last 45 years anyway.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,706,920 times
It is interesting that some Americans view their history with highly selective vision. It would pay to read a history of the Texican revolt that was not written for the Texas public school version of their history.

It is also curious to note that "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was a mulatto prostitute.
Quote:
Given your statement of what comes around, are you advocating that the US begin systematic and wholesale massacres of illegal immigrants to send a message to Mexico as they did in the 1820's to stem protestant inflows to Texas?
This statement is odd, the US began systemic and wholesale massacres of illegal immigrants to send a message to Mexico as they in the 1820's?

Quote:
I am a descendant of William Barrett Travis.
Are you descended from the wife and children he abandoned in Alabama?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Of course in 1846 one could say, "America has pretty much taken over Texas, California and the Southwestern States".
And for the better, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide
History is a funny thing.
Yeah, I find it funny that Mexico cries about the loss of "territory" it had no real legitimate claim to anyway, seeing as how Spanish conquest (coughSTOLENLANDFROMAMERICANINDIANScough) and sweeping territorial "claims" they couldn't protect or successfully colonize was the basis of Mexico's claim over the Southwest both then and now.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
"Santa Anna's order that all illegal immigrants be expelled"

I guess you never heard of Stephen F. Austin. Also Santa Anna butchered, he did not expell.

I see it now - the proponents of the lawbreakers will now attack Texas History and its heroes (some of whom are hispanic). There is nothing sacred to those who advocate breaking the law. Society is starting to fall apart, folks.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,706,920 times
Quote:
Yeah, I find it funny that America cries about the loss of "territory" it had no real legitimate claim to anyway, seeing as how Spanish conquest (coughSTOLENLANDFROMAMERICANINDIANScough) and sweeping territorial "claims" they couldn't protect or successfully colonize was the basis of America's claim over the Southwest both then and now.
Runs both ways. Apparently you are saying that any nation that cannot protect its territory did not deserve to have it.. So, why complain when the Mexicans take back the Southwest?

Texas heroes? Did you ever read a true account of the Alamo, not the John Wayne version? Sam Houston? An amazing man, but not for the reasons you have in mind.

It appears that the "talking point" justifying the American Conquest of Mexico and the severing of half its land area is that the Mexicans could not hold against a superior force (Polk's War). Exactly Hitler's reason behind the march to Lebensraum.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I really think you have gone off the deep end - it's enough you called me a racist in another thread but when you start the 'true' account of the Alamo BS, and compare the USA to Nazi Germany that is something entirely different.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I really think you have gone off the deep end - it's enough you called me a racist in another thread but when you start the 'true' account of the Alamo BS, and compare the USA to Nazi Germany that is something entirely different.
I doubt you can see it, but I see many similarities.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Oh my God, you are serious.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
German Americans (German Deutschamerikaner) are citizens of the United States of ethnic German ancestry and currently form the largest ancestry group in the United States, accounting for 17% of US population.
German American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a little fact, bloodlines perhaps?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Of course in 1846 one could say, "America has pretty much taken over Texas, California and the Southwestern States".

What goes around comes around.

Actually they were fighting to preserve slavery, which Mexico outlawed 40 years before America did.

History is a funny thing.
And in 1821 Mexico won its independence from Spain. Had the former lost that war; many people (including the fathers of the Alamo defenders) would likely have been executed for treason.

History is a funny thing.........while playing this game; ask the Aztecs, etc. back in 1492 when the Hispanics came and conquered them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration