U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,298,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Only once have I ever given a Border Patrol agent grief and that was at a roadside checkpoint in northwestern Puerto Rico ... the agent asked me if I was a US citizen in Spanish and I responded with "What do you think?" - in English. Bear in mind that I am an obvious Anglo, there is no way they could have confused me with an illegal immigrant from the Dominican Republic. He then told me to "go away, go to the beach or something and don't mouth off to a Federal agent ever again".

I admit I was an ass but seriously, if you want to find illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic you might want to start by questioning people who actually look HISPANIC. It irks me that whenever I go to Puerto Rico instead of starting with the obvious they instead choose to annoy tourists from the mainland.
Uh; some Hispanics ARE "white" like Argentines. Tho that BP agent should have asked your status in English IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Only once have I ever given a Border Patrol agent grief and that was at a roadside checkpoint in northwestern Puerto Rico ... the agent asked me if I was a US citizen in Spanish and I responded with "What do you think?" - in English. Bear in mind that I am an obvious Anglo, there is no way they could have confused me with an illegal immigrant from the Dominican Republic. He then told me to "go away, go to the beach or something and don't mouth off to a Federal agent ever again".

I admit I was an ass but seriously, if you want to find illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic you might want to start by questioning people who actually look HISPANIC. It irks me that whenever I go to Puerto Rico instead of starting with the obvious they instead choose to annoy tourists from the mainland.
It's intriguing to me that you felt an interruption to your free travel in a held territory of the United States was objectionable based on your ethnicity. Checking 100% of the people going through a checkpoint catches more than profiling. Is catching all possible illegal aliens good until it inconveniences you?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 PM

13,127 posts, read 9,214,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Would it not be an articulable fact that if the driver is not pulling over that he is now evading the officer and the officer has authority to use force during the apprehension? We have seen it many times when a driver attempts to outrun the police they get pulled out of their car and placed face down on the road, resulting in said "gravel face" with no penalty to the officer.
"Speeding up" equates to evade.
"Slowing down" does not. Remember OJ Simpson's slow parade?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I came up to a checkpoint on Highway 94 in San Diego County, and as soon as the CBP guys saw my white face, they waved me through.

In other words, they were practicing racial profiling.

I thought you conservatives approved of that sort of thing.
You can bet they wave thousands of brown faces through every day -- so fail!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So what is your source to whether the app instructs that, or is "very commonly this is on buses and going through these checkpoints"? It's a very recent event, and the notion of its "newsworthyness" is that there was probably not an app before that did that. If it is estimated that 63% of Hispanics will have smartphones by 2016 (at the end of the article), how many illegal aliens have one currently as they are navigating (with the relative level of service) into the United States?

Amusingly, you are quoting an incident that you maintain does not happen: A bus stopped at a checkpoint to review the passengers' immigration status. I can't understand when you have discordance within your position that you can have it both ways. You just can't allude at something to make it true.
They do NOT remove all the passengers from the bus and search them or verify immigration status. To imply that is normal procedure is a flat out lie if you actually know what they do at these check points.

The bus like other vehicles stops at the checkpoint. A couple of agents get on and simply tell those who are not USA citizens to get their documents out. And so a bunch of people, most of the bus in fact, will hold up passports or whatever documents they have. If you don't hold up a document, then it's assumed you're a citizen, they may ask you if you and you simply say yes and that's the end of it. No proof needed.

There's a reason that low estimates of illegals working in the USA is 11 million, and most likely the real number is significantly higher. They're not catching illegals, not while they enter, not after they enter.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They do NOT remove all the passengers from the bus and search them or verify immigration status. To imply that is normal procedure is a flat out lie if you actually know what they do at these check points...
I didn't call it "normal procedure", I said I had seen it done. Do you dispute that? Before calling a statement a "flat out lie", maybe you need to read a little closer to what it actually says.

I notice that you didn't further confirm that an app coming out last October was "very commonly" used on buses and "going through checkpoints":

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
IBMuseum most likely never came across this article --- illegals actually have a cell phone app that "guides" them while they break the laws of the USA. Very commonly this is on buses and going through these checkpoints...
Understand we are at a point where you could say the sky is blue, and I would still look up to check...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or