Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well we saw that when amnesty was not supported by voters in the Bush years that other so called reforms were not pushed forward. Refrom is just amnesty hidden in other meaures as we saw in the 80's reform bill. Amnesty bill with window dressing called reform only is what 80's was;bush proposal was and now this new so called reform.
Yes, reform would mean changing our immigration laws. That isn't what is actually being proposed. Amnesty and or legalization is and that doesn't fit the definition of any reform. I guess the word reform sounds better than amnesty so the supporters of illegal immigrants like that word better. Kinda like calling illegal immigrants/aliens, undocumented. Who do they think they are fooling with these PC words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
It was always a puzzle why citizenship was always the default when most illegals came here for the money and work. Who says they all want to be citizens?

I could see wanting to take advantage of what is available especially as dems make it more attractive to freebies, but have illegal immigrants no pride in their country?

Becoming a citizen just to take advantage is disrespectful. Obviously, this is not true across the board but does apply to many. The problem is dems seeking voters that give away citizenship in return for votes and their categoricalClaim everyone that illegally crosses the boarder should be made a citizen. It tells the illegals if you can sneak in here you are golden. This is so wrong as a policy and does a disservice to people who do want to contribute as citizens and to pour country.

How sad so many people want to leave their home country . Speaks to the contempt in which they hold their own country.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is only congress that can grant amnesty/legalization so I don't get your point then. Regular Americans don't get a vote in this.

And Jeb Bush has a vote...where?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
He's right, but I think his position on the issue is too soft for my liking.

The only "path" we should be discussing is the "path" back to these peoples' home countries.
I agree with you BigDGeek, A lot of people on the facebook pages for local news media here in Houston as well as the local newspapers like the Chronicle, for example, take heat for saying that illegals should be sent home. There are a great number of Mexican-Americans in Texas that immigrated here the RIGHT and LEGAL way. I think too many people are making this an "Americans against Mexicans" fight when it should be an "Americans against Illegals from ALL countries" fight.

The waters get murky when illegals come here and have natural born children within our borders. Personally, I think the entire family should be deported, but then the child WAS born here so where do you draw the lines?

The biggest problem I have with this whole issue is that Washington has done NOTHING to protect our borders from the millions of illegal aliens that have crossed throughout the Southwest, yet they want to legalize 11 million people without fixing the problem that caused this mess in the first place.

I've heard the arguments that the illegal people come here and have a purpose, that they do the jobs that American's refuse to do. They work these manual labor jobs and get paid little to nothing to do it. What happens when those 11 million workers are legal residents and decide that minimum wages or less just aren't good enough anymore, after all, they're legal now and they don't have to settle for those types of jobs anymore.

What happens is they quit their jobs to look for better ones and our unemployment rates that are already extremely high gets higher and millions of agricultural, service, and construction jobs go un-maned and prices skyrocket, and millions more get on government benefits.

What happens to those millions of jobs that have been abandoned? Companies can either hire workers for living wages (fat chance) or they can import more illegal aliens to fill those spots. It's not too far out of a thought to imagine that 11 million MORE illegal aliens could replace the 11 million that became legal within a couple years time. After all, the government has still done NOTHING to secure our borders. Why should it? This problem hasn't affected the North East to the extent that it has the South West.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Who said he did? He is/was govenor of Florida. Governors are not members of congress.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who said he did? He is/was govenor of Florida. Governors are not members of congress.
You love to move the goal post...proves your argument has failed.

OP:
Quote:
Jeb Bush reverses course: No path to citizenship necessary in immigration reform
Chimuelojones:
Quote:
The President says Citizenship and the Republicans say Legalization and the inevitable gets done.
oldglory:
Quote:
It is wrong to claim that all or even most Republican in congress are saying that it is inevetible that illegal immigrants will get legalization and least of all a path to citizenship.
CJ:
Quote:
Show me where I said...in congress.
You give me a firm number of Republicans in congress that accept Legalization and I will accept it.
og:
Quote:
It is only congress that can grant amnesty/legalization so I don't get your point then. Regular Americans don't get a vote in this.
CJ:
Quote:
og:
Quote:
Who said he did? He is/was govenor of Florida. Governors are not members of congress
OP:
Quote:
Jeb Bush reverses course: No path to citizenship necessary in immigration reform
Loop....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You love to move the goal post...proves your argument has failed.

OP:

Chimuelojones:

oldglory:

CJ:

og:

CJ:

og:

OP:

Loop....
Sorry but I am not following you here about me moving the goal posts and just what argument did I fail at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration