U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,818,327 times
Reputation: 8038

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks for trying Vivski--though I'm not sure some people will ever "get" that America has a culture, just because it's a "mix" of cultures. A mestizo is a "mix" of races---does this mean he "doesn't have a race"? Because strawberry-banana ice cream has no single flavor, do we then say that it "doesn't have any taste"?-----Ridiculous!...

Perhaps the following will help some of our more "stubborn" readers

AMERICAN CULTURE LOOKS FAVORABLY ON:
(1) Honesty
(2) Polite conversation
(3) The Rule of Law
(4) Protection of the rights of women and minorities
(5) Free Speech
(6) Special protections for children and young people
(7) Freedom of religion

These are features of many cultures, but in America we espouse all of these as our own..We as Americans feel these are GOOD qualities. Meanwhile, though...

AMERICAN CULTURE DEFINITELY FROWNS UPON:

(1) Incest
(2) Settling arguments with violence
(3) Revenge killings
(4) Using mass rape as an Instrument of War
(5) Selling of children into prostitution
(6) Beating of wives to "put them in their place"
(7) Eating dogs or cats

These are ALSO features of many cultures, in different parts of the world, but not here. In the rare instances that these DO occur here, they are prosecuted...because they are NOT part of the American culture.

Seems pretty clear to me. American culture, like any other, condones some practices, while condemning (and criminalizing) others. Some things are "American" values, and some are not.

Hope this helps point out the definition....
Excellent post. I'd say that Hispanics of several countries that I've talked to, enjoy loud music at all hours, and many of them would agree with #6. However they also have good cultural points, including the simple fact that they are generally better at working long hours doing menial labor.

I don't believe they use hospitals as much in proportion to their numbers as Americans (with the possible exception of making anchor babies) .... but that's not the point. They're here illegally. If they need emergency medical care, give it and then arrest them for being here illegally, put them in a detention center, and then deport them.

And if possible .... probably it isn't .... change the Constitutional amendment giving automatic citizenship to anyone born in this country. At least one parent should be a US citizen.

Also, expand and streamline the process by which non-citizens can come into this country legally to work. Make it a controlled and reasonable number, not some enormous untrammeled flood disrupting this stable and prosperous country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,064 posts, read 15,478,889 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Excellent post. I'd say that Hispanics of several countries that I've talked to, enjoy loud music at all hours, and many of them would agree with #6. However they also have good cultural points, including the simple fact that they are generally better at working long hours doing menial labor.
Hilarious!!...None of my family members or friends that are Hispanic enjoy playing loud music at all hours, and they definitely don't advocate beating their wives...

I think you are talking to some ghetto hispanics then that like play loud music all the time.

Also yes I think there is a strong work ethic amongst hispanics, many have the cultural mindset that family is everything and that makes them very happy to just be providing anyway they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Hilarious!!...None of my family members or friends that are Hispanic enjoy playing loud music at all hours, and they definitely don't advocate beating their wives...

I think you are talking to some ghetto hispanics then that like play loud music all the time.

Also yes I think there is a strong work ethic amongst hispanics, many have the cultural mindset that family is everything and that makes them very happy to just be providing anyway they can.
Lol.. People seem to say that the "Ghetto" ones are the illegals when they are in fact mostly legal citizens. Mexicans are very proud of their culture and what they have accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Hilarious!!...[u][B
Also yes I think there is a strong work ethic amongst hispanics, many have the cultural mindset that family is everything and that makes them very happy to just be providing anyway they can.
This is absolutely true. I've been "guilty" many times of using illegals (whom I know personally) not so much because I'm unpatriotic, but because I've had such awful results trying to use people out of the "yellow pages". Using guys I know, or "friends of friends" seems to work out much better.

I've had a few bad experiences with these folks, but for the most part I find that hard work is a point of pride with them, and they'll frequently even do a little more than the job they actually "bid on". Their work ethic seems to resemble that of the American one of 40 or 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is absolutely true. I've been "guilty" many times of using illegals (whom I know personally) not so much because I'm unpatriotic, but because I've had such awful results trying to use people out of the "yellow pages". Using guys I know, or "friends of friends" seems to work out much better.

I've had a few bad experiences with these folks, but for the most part I find that hard work is a point of pride with them, and they'll frequently even do a little more than the job they actually "bid on". Their work ethic seems to resemble that of the American one of 40 or 50 years ago.
And now.. Americans want to work less and make more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
 
635 posts, read 1,560,627 times
Reputation: 111
Greatbasinguide makes a great point, that illegal immigrants are being stereotyped as lazy, criminal scumbags, who are useless and disrespect the U.S. and our dangerous to its citizens.

Those who are cool headed, and have experience around illegal immigrants, know this simply is false.

What if I had worked in a business with a bunch of asians, and there were a handful who were racist and upatriotic. Would that give me the right to characterize every asian as disrespectful to Americans, my country, and our laws?

Let's be forgiving, not bitter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Reputation: 138
Illegal Immigrants are definitely not lazy.The only reason they came to the U.S was to work. Some are scum bags, but all the illegals that I've met are nice people-- beside the part that they were drunk. But hey, who doesn't get drunk on fridays right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,818,327 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Greatbasinguide makes a great point, that illegal immigrants are being stereotyped as lazy, criminal scumbags, who are useless and disrespect the U.S. and our dangerous to its citizens.

Those who are cool headed, and have experience around illegal immigrants, know this simply is false.

What if I had worked in a business with a bunch of asians, and there were a handful who were racist and upatriotic. Would that give me the right to characterize every asian as disrespectful to Americans, my country, and our laws?

Let's be forgiving, not bitter!
I haven't read the entire thread, Jesus, but I didn't see any such pure stereotyping as you claim .... that ALL illegals are entirely one thing or another. Neither am I personally bitter .... it's a problem to be solved, I certainly don't blame illegals for wanting to come here for a chance at a better job. If anything I blame poor enforcement of laws - especially the laws against hiring illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 AM
 
537 posts, read 312,705 times
Reputation: 182
It really matters not if they are hard working or not or anything else or not. Illegal is illegal and they are criminals and that makes them scum to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Illegal Immigrants are definitely not lazy.The only reason they came to the U.S was to work. Some are scum bags, but all the illegals that I've met are nice people-- beside the part that they were drunk. But hey, who doesn't get drunk on fridays right?
The pregnant women who cross the border illegally are not here looking for a job. Your statement 'The only reason they came to the U.S was to work' is simply not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top