Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
This stuff is such baloney. The field workers are unionized, wages in the field run $20-30 an hour. Yes it is hard work long hours, but they are fairly well compensated.....
Could you provide a link to an advertisement for a field worker, with pay offered at $20 or more per hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:16 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Lazy is not the word I would use, but hey, if it works for you. In any society some rise some sink, the sinkers don't work very hard, that is why they are sinkers.

But, that white Americans won't do field work is proved each day that white Americans don't show up to work in the fields and Mexican Americans do.
John McCain proved it when he offered $50,000 to any white who would spend a season in the Yuma lettuce fields, he had no takers.
McCain had alot of takers, including several members of the audience who volunteered on the spot. It was $50/hr, not $50,000.

Quote:
As he steered his Straight Talk Express across the United States in recent weeks, Republican Sen. John McCain has tried to stay a-head of the immigration issue. But Friday the immigration issue delivered 36 or so heads to his Phoenix office — heads of lettuce, that is.
McCain has been getting skewered in the media for comments earlier this month to a union group in Washington, D.C., that immigrants are taking jobs no one else wants, and offered them $50 an hour to pick lettuce in the Arizona sun for a summer, suggesting they couldn't do it.
The senator didn't stick around long enough to process any applications, despite several offers to take him up on his offer from the audience.
So Friday more than three dozen demonstrators showed up at his office, many carrying lettuce picker applications in one hand, and a head of lettuce in the other to show they could do the job.

McCain was not on hand to greet them, but somehow it's probably not the kind of green he was hoping to collect for his budding presidential bid.
McCain's lettuce-picking remarks yield unwanted green | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/124762 - broken link)

Here is one of the many job aplications online. If you act fast, maybe you will be hired for next season.

Quote:
[JOB] US-AZ-YUMA: Pick lettuce. $50 an hour.

** Job offered **

Job description: Picking lettuce

Rate: $50.00 per hour (must work for one year)

Contact: John McCain, Supervisor of Lettuce Operations, U.S. Senate

Employer's address:
241 Russell Senate Ofc. Bldg. United States Senate, Washington DC 20510 Phone: (202) 224-2235 Fax: (202) 228-2862

Employer's field offices:
Phoenix 5353 North 16th Street Suite 105 Phoenix, Arizona 85016 Phone: (602) 952-2410 Fax: (602) 952-8702

Tempe 4703 S. Lakeshore Drive Suite 1 Tempe, Arizona 85282 Phone: (480) 897-6289 Fax: (480) 897-8389

Tucson 407 W. Congress Street Suite 103 Tucson, Arizona 85701 Phone: (520) 670-6334 Fax: (520) 670-6637

IF INTERESTED IN THIS JOB, PLEASE CALL ASAP. EVEN IF YOU HAVE OTHER COMMITMENTS, EMPLOYER WANTS TO KNOW WHETHER YOU'D WORK FOR THAT RATE.
[JOB] US-AZ-YUMA: Pick lettuce. $50 an hour.

And for the folks in Nebraska, your very own application form from an organization called 'Lettuce Pickers For McCain'.

Quote:
HELP PICK LETTUCE AT $50 PER HOUR FOR SENATOR JOHN McCAIN.

Nebraskans are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to fill out applications to pick lettuce at $50 per hour for Sen. John McCain (RINO-AZ.). Because Sen. McCain already is campaigning for President in 2008, Nebraskans are enthusiastic about the opportunity to pick lettuce for such an esteemed individual. We should excitedly await the placing of lettuce pickers Help Wanted ads on Nebraska radio stations and in our newspapers.

You see, several weeks ago, Sen. McCain informed members at a union meeting in Washington, D.C. that the reason he wants to offer amnesty to millions of illegal aliens is because Americans would not pick lettuce in the fields for $50 per hour.

Although Nebraska has a relatively low unemployment rate, we are certain that there are unemployed citizens who willingly would pick lettuce at $50 per hour. Therefore, we offer below an application coupon that job seekers can complete and send to Sen. McCain's Senate office in Washington, D.C. Act promptly, because these job slots may fill quickly!
================================================== ================================================== =======
APPLICATION TO PICK LETTUCE AT $50 PER HOUR FOR SEN. JOHN McCAIN. PLEASE PICK ME!!

NAME______________________________________________ ____________________
ADDRESS __________________________________________________ ____________
CITY,STATE,ZIP __________________________________________________ _______
PHONE # __________________________________________________ ___
( ) Please send me an "I Love Lettuce" bumper sticker.
( ) Please send me an "I Love Lettuce" campaign button.

Office of Sen. John McCain
U.S. Senate
241 Russell Office Bldg.
(202) 224-2235
Washington, D.C. 20510
HELP PICK LETTUCE AT (http://www.netaxpayers.org/mccainj1.htm - broken link)

Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
HAHAHA, "technically esoteric jobs"? Newsflash: The majority of any people in society cannot be expected to do only "technically esoteric jobs" and have a shadow workforce doing the crap jobs.
Talk is cheap. Vegetables are rotting due to there being no workers available to work the farms. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-28-2007 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: don't suggest stuff for other posters, stay on subject

Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times
Quote:
Which is why America is in the mess it is in today, both internally and externally. Americans think that they live outside history, they don't. The past is prologue.

i believe you can learn from the past...in fact i beleive that we must learn from the past, but i will not accept guilt for someone elses past.
you can if you want, but as for me...i havent done anything wrong.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
This bears repeating;

Comments like that just **** me off. You got a problem with Mexicans, move. Mexicans go to work, raise families, pay taxes, fall in love, love their children just like everyone else.
People like you supported putting the Japanese in internment camps during WWII.
People like you cried about the "Yellow Peril" and outlawed asian immigration for decades.
People like you hated the Irish immigrants,
People like you hated the Italian immigrants,
People like you hated Eastern European immigrants.
People like you owned people unlike you.

You eat food, right? Vegetables once in a while? Where do you think they came from, who do you think grew them, harvested them packed them?

6:00 AM in the morning the Mexicans start work, 6 days a week. They work their butts off for you.

Every Mexican you see, you should thank, and you should thank whatever god you have that your circumstances are so much better that you do not have to do stoop labor in the fields.

as for me, i do have many hispanic friends.
some i consider family, people i would have difficulty living without.
some native born americans, and some from mexico, the only hispanic that has touched my life terribly was an illegal from mexico.i must admit.
but....
sorry, i really dont think it's about race.
had the man been from any other country even the so called "white" european countries....i would still be against illegal immigration...and so are my hispanic friends and family.

and btw....if it even matters, i do thank god everyday that i was one of the fortunate ones who is able to have another day with my husband (many arent) because he almost died at the hands of an illegal.
so sorry, i will never give thanks for anything i have to an illegal.
i know who gives me what i have.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Quote:
i believe you can learn from the past...in fact i beleive that we must learn from the past, but i will not accept guilt for someone elses past.
you can if you want, but as for me...i havent done anything wrong.
No, but your life is affected by the events of the past. In order to understand the present it is most helpful to understand the past. fer instance, if anyone in the current administration understood Middle Eastern History, our adventure over there would be quite different.

So too with illegal immigration from Mexico, it is the direct result of historical forces and it affects your life.

The $50,000 for a season figure came from the talk show host on the local right wing whacko radio station, I passed on his error. Apologies.

As for documenting wages of $20-30 per hour, harvest work is usually piece work you hustle you make it, you don't you don't.

Even in the 60's you could make $10.00 an hour cutting lettuce.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelintom View Post
Disobedience to unjust law is at the root of American culture, no? Were not the Tea Party guys acting "illegally"? Rosa Parks broke the law drinking from a "white" water fountain. The measure of a good American is not how law-abiding he is, else we would still be British colonies.

how is an immigration law unjust to a nations citizens?
should we simply open the borders and allow anyone to immigrate here at will?
as much as we hear about america being the evil empire in the world opinion in the media, why doesnt 20+ million illegals invading her shores prove otherwise?
you can give her away to anyone who wants her, but i will not.
borders are in place for reasons, and immigration laws are in place too, for reasons....maybe i do agree that th eimmigration laws of the 50's could stand some updating, but i will never agree that there should be no immigration law at all.
and one more thing...i do believe that abiding to the laws is a serious issue.
maybe it doesnt set you aside as being american or unamerican, but it does show your character and morals, and as i see it, if i break the law, i've sin , not only against man, but in front of my god...so whatever you want to call it, i call it morals.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelintom View Post
Disobedience to unjust law is at the root of American culture, no? Were not the Tea Party guys acting "illegally"? Rosa Parks broke the law drinking from a "white" water fountain. The measure of a good American is not how law-abiding he is, else we would still be British colonies.

oppps..forgot...there is definetly a difference between rosa parks and an illegal immigrant...
she was fighting for americans...not for illegal immigration...and the bostonians who dumped tea into boston harbor werent either....
you can be, though , if you like, because that is the american way.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

No, but your life is affected by the events of the past. In order to understand the present it is most helpful to understand the past. fer instance, if anyone in the current administration understood Middle Eastern History, our adventure over there would be quite different.

greatbasinguide:::

what?

doesnt matter..i know why i am against illegal immigration, and it is for many reasons...too many to list.
maybe you have never been touched by an illegal in the way we have, but i think many americans have been, we are tired of hearing about the past...americans do want a secure future. and most are willing to fight for it.
they are patriotic people who understand what this nation stands for.
we are willing to fight for strangers freedoms, and expected to from most around the world, while in the split second later, comparing us to hitler, or hussein.
whatever..........i know what america is...and i am still proud of her...regardless of past....or present.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Allow me a paraphrase;
Quote:
doesnt matter..i know why i am not against illegal immigration, and it is for many reasons...too many to list.
maybe you have never been touched by a Norteno in the way we have, but i think many Mexicans have been, we are not tired of hearing about the past before the Nortenos stole our land...Mexicans do want a secure future. and most are willing to fight for it.
they are patriotic people who understand what Mexico stands for.
we are not willing to fight for strangers who hate us and have no interest in what we feel are freedoms, ...DMS.i know what Mexico was..and i am proud of her...regarding our past we want our land back.
There are those in Mexico who feel the loss much more than you feel the gain, a wronged people have a long memory.

"Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the United States"

Do you remember when the majority of the United States Army invaded Mexico and wandered at will through the country for an entire year? Of course you don't, but they do. Oh, not 1846, another of a series of attacks on Mexico by the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration