Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Well it gives them birthright and therefore the baby can obtain medicare and welfare right?
Why would they pay for it out of pocket when they can for free? Would you pay for it if it can be obtained for free?
Frankly, I find this attitude troubling above and beyond all else. No, I would not expect the citizens of another country who owe me nothing to pay the costs of delivering my baby. And it isn't really 'free' anyhow, it is always at someone else's expense. If a hospital can provide X millions in unreimbursed care without going bankrupt and ALL of those millions are used to provide care to illegals who dont' pay, then that is X millions that otherwise could have been used to provide care to poor and uninsured American citizens. These are the folks who take it to the jaw. If the illegals were not here, maybe the hospital could give them a break and write off part of their expenses.
In the final analysis, it's a free country and you can believe whatever you want. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I think you have some serious problems comprehending simple contemporary English. The point is not that Columbus spoke English. The point is that the English spoken during the time of Columbus was different from the English spoken today. How about you look this topic up? Check this one out for starters: http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0858000.html

i have no problem comprehending comtemporary english...
in fact, i was a staright a student when it came to english class....
i just feel you are not answering my question, and would rather be sarcastic and condescending in the answers you have tried to give.

the point i am trying to make when i ask the question is, what english did christopher columbus speak....
i do understand that the english language has changed over time...but in the end, it's really the same...all the words still have the same meanings.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanien'keha:ka View Post
Illegal Alien Immagration. What the hell is that? I'm not writing this in anger, but why is there even such thing as that? No one is illegal to any country or any piece of land. There is no person, no matter who they are, that can claim that they own the land. It is impossible. The land is our life sustenance, it is not there to be taken apart and used to make money and only money, or to be "owned" by anyone. It is here to sustain all life on earth. Nobody and i will repeat it again...NOBODY CAN LAY CLAIM TO ANY PIECE OF LAND ON THIS EARTH. The land belongs to everyone, it is not owned by humans....HUMANS BELONG TO THE EARTH. We were created from that dirt that is within the earth. Our bodies are borrowed from that earth, and we try and claim that we own it and take control of it...and alter it the way we have for so many years....she's (the earth) is only going to take more and more people with her. People will die at an alarming rate if people dont smarten up and stop laying claim to the earth. again.....NOBODY OWNS THE LAND, WE ARE ALL CHILDREN OF THE EARTH...WE BELONG TO HER. WE DONT OWN HER WE BELONG TO HER. I cannot stress it any more than that. For there to be such a thing is Illegal Alien Immigration...that's just down right ILLEGALY! They say there are certain people who are illegal...but to have a law like that on an earth...on land that they dont even own....that's what is ILLEGAL.

though i respect the sentiment, i cannot respect the notion that there are no borders, you do not say where you live, but i live in america...and even witht he law of the bible, the bible also says that man must respect mans law...and if there is an immigration law in place, then all must respect and follow it.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
It's relevant because it means American culture is a moving target. It changes. It evolves. That's why you can't be too dogmatic about forcing people to conform to what is after all a moving target.

no one wants anyone to conform to an ideal....or conform to one thought..they just want people to conform to the law

why is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
the point i am trying to make when i ask the question is, what english did christopher columbus speak....
i do understand that the english language has changed over time...but in the end, it's really the same...all the words still have the same meanings.
Huh? Are you still hung up on the " English that Columbus spoke"? Do you not understand what I said? Let me repeat: the English spoken during the time of Columbus was different from the English spoken today. Whether Columbus himself spoke English is irrelevant. I only used Columbus as a marker for time, i.e., for the 15th century AD. I could have said, the English spoken during the 15th century was different from the English spoken today, and it would have meant the same thing. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-27-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Speaking of Columbus,
The trade goods he carried were beads, mirrors, axes etc, good to trade with primitive people, not Chinese.?

If he thought he was sailing to China, why did he call the people he found Indios?

He had previously been to Iceland. He knew of the stories of land to the west.

The learned people of the day knew the circu****ence of the world.

He knew exactly where he was going, and he got there, the new world, which still leaves the question of why he called the people he found Indios. Can you answer that question?

Back to the culture issue, there are so many posts it would be difficult to answer each but let us look at this one,

My kid did the same thing, not because he was a serious criminal, but because he did not understand the term "own recognizance". And he was a native English speaker raised in the American Culture. Could it not be beyond consideration that your "runner" had the same problem (My kids crime was not violence, but illegal Partying materials). It appears that the problems lies with the DA's office, not with the perp.

The fact that he was an illegal alien has no bearing on the matter. Native born people commit acts of violence in great numbers, and flee in great numbers.

If you have a concern about the dispo of your case, do you have a written explanation of the status by the DA? If not, why not?

The various components of culture listed by posters also exist in other nations.
Rule of Law? Romans. Check it out.

If you have spent time in Mexico you undoubtedly found there is more personal freedom in Mexico than in the US, this poor over regulated nation.
Also, dropping out the drug wars from the equation, Mexico City and the border cities, your chance of being a victim of violent crime is far lower in Mexico than in the US.

Many Americans know this, Many Americans live quite happily in Mexico.
[Now that is funny, I don't care who you are, the word circu****ence, meaning the distance around a circular object is asteriked out in the middle, computer gone wild)

i have been in contact with the district attorneys office, the governors office, the presidential office since 1996 when the crime occurred.many have responded to my concerns...i have written letters, talked on the phone, etc....short of buying a billboard sign and screaming int on the airwaves, yes...i have done it all.
you sound as if you feel this is ok...that this man almost killed someone.
that your son did the same thing(running from justice) and you feel he was not criminal is your opinion, not mine...did he have an attorney that explained to him that failure to appear would be a violation of his release?

the public defender who represnted the illegal in my husbands case explained this to the illegal who almost killed my husband, yet the man still chose to run, not because he didnt understand the law, but because he didnt want to face his justice.
i might also add that after his release, the district attorneys office found out that before the "accidnet" the illegal had been arrested and another warrant was issued in california for him brandishing a loaded firearm in a barfight, and after he served his sentence for my husbands case, he was arrested again for other charges in california, all three times in custody of american law enfocement, all three times proven to be illegal and all three times never deported.

i really dont see how anyone can see this as ok. very very sad.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Huh? Are you still hung up on the " English that Columbus spoke"? Do you not understand what I said? Let me repeat: the English spoken during the time of Columbus was different from the English spoken today. Whether Columbus himself spoke English is irrelevant. I only used Columbus as a marker for time, i.e., for the 15th century AD. I could have said, the English spoken during the 15th century was different from the English spoken today, and it would have meant the same thing. But apparently you don't get it.
I know what you mean. Even the English spoken in the White House is different than it was 200 years ago. George Washington never said "America. Let's ROLL !".....of course, we'll never know if he could have pronounced "nuclear".....

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart
Well it gives them birthright and therefore the baby can obtain medicare and welfare right?
Why would they pay for it out of pocket when they can for free? Would you pay for it if it can be obtained for free?

Quote:
Frankly, I find this attitude troubling above and beyond all else. No, I would not expect the citizens of another country who owe me nothing to pay the costs of delivering my baby. And it isn't really 'free' anyhow, it is always at someone else's expense. If a hospital can provide X millions in unreimbursed care without going bankrupt and ALL of those millions are used to provide care to illegals who dont' pay, then that is X millions that otherwise could have been used to provide care to poor and uninsured American citizens. These are the folks who take it to the jaw. If the illegals were not here, maybe the hospital could give them a break and write off part of their expenses.
In the final analysis, it's a free country and you can believe whatever you want. Have a nice day.
[+] Rate this post positively

Your initial post, the one I wrote a response to, concerned illegal aliens who fail to pay for the costs of Labor and Delivery. It had nothing to do with 'birthright' babies receiving medicare and welfare and you know it. You have deliberately engaged in misleading behavior and changed your initial post. This has been reported to the moderators. There is little point in responding to any of your posts if you then go back and modify them such that they say something entirely different.

PS You have to be 65 to collect Medicare

Old 10-27-2007, 12:34 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
Quote:
no one wants anyone to conform to an ideal....or conform to one thought..they just want people to conform to the law

why is that so hard for you to understand?
Laws can be changed. Constitutions can be amended. Borders can be redrawn. Cultural habits can be modified. Slavery used to be legal in this country; now it isn't. Women and minorities used to be unable to vote. Now they can. Abortion is legal in this country. Many people want to overturn its legality. Can illegal aliens be legalized? Yes they can. It only takes the stroke of a pen. Since you say you want to obey the law, will you accept it if the US government were to legalize all illegal aliens?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Andreabeth Point taken, and afterwards they will starve to death because they are not "looking for a job" they will just sit on the corner and die?

You do understand that illegals cannot get welfare don't you?

illegals with false documents can though, and do...every single day.

dont doubt that for a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration