U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
28,010 posts, read 38,010,202 times
Reputation: 17523

Advertisements

I would rather see children of illegals who were brought to and grew up in Arizona (where I live) go to school at resident rates than the children of snowbirds from Illinois or wherever who moved here barely a year ago. The illegals are more Arizonan than the midwesterners in almost every way. Their parents worked and contributed to the local economy and paid at least sales taxes all those years. I'll bet a lot of people in the sunbelt states feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
 
31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would rather see children of illegals who were brought to and grew up in Arizona (where I live) go to school at resident rates than the children of snowbirds from Illinois or wherever who moved here barely a year ago. The illegals are more Arizonan than the midwesterners in almost every way. Their parents worked and contributed to the local economy and paid at least sales taxes all those years. I'll bet a lot of people in the sunbelt states feel the same way.
So you think that illegals should be put above citizen snowbirds? Their parents stole the jobs they are working and probably are working with fake or stolen documents or working under the table not paying income taxes. If Americans were working those jobs instead they in turn would be contributing to the economy and paying both sales and income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
28,010 posts, read 38,010,202 times
Reputation: 17523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you think that illegals should be put above citizen snowbirds? Their parents stole the jobs they are working and probably are working with fake or stolen documents or working under the table not paying income taxes. If Americans were working those jobs instead they in turn would be contributing to the economy and paying both sales and income taxes.
Yes. The new people have contributed nothing to the school system. When the new arrivals have been here for 5 years, maybe they should get in state tuition for their kids. I would take a harder line on new people whether they were US citizens or not than I would on "dreamers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM
 
31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. The new people have contributed nothing to the school system. When the new arrivals have been here for 5 years, maybe they should get in state tuition for their kids. I would take a harder line on new people whether they were US citizens or not than I would on "dreamers".
They are citizens of this country and that is that matters. Illegal immigrants are not and in fact many times they have numerous children or live more than one family in a residence. Therefore, many of them do not pay their fair share of property taxes to support the school system. Illegal immigrants should get nothing from our country, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
31,675 posts, read 18,562,339 times
Reputation: 12234
This is absurd.

Giving illegal aliens full rights to attend California’s already cash-strapped, overpriced colleges and universities doesn’t come cheap. A study from California’s nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s office predicts that the state will have to pony up an extra $65 million a year by 2016-2017 in order to full higher education benefits to illegal aliens. This is a significant burden on a state that’s constantly running in the red. California taxpayers can reasonably expect that their state tax rate, which is already the highest in the nation, will soon increase.

Worse, a new generation of fresh-faced, hard-working illegal immigrants will now be the poster children for the Progressive’s push for completely open borders. Those who believe that America has the right to protect her borders will be shouted down with the battle cry that “It’s for the children.” No one is going to listen when citizen taxpayers who have been squeezed dry, and who have seen college spaces and money go to illegal aliens, answer by asking “But what about our children?” Sorry, folks, but in Progressive-land, your children just don’t count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. The new people have contributed nothing to the school system. When the new arrivals have been here for 5 years, maybe they should get in state tuition for their kids. I would take a harder line on new people whether they were US citizens or not than I would on "dreamers".
Your point is that you despise Ameicans. No, illegals are not superior to citizens of this country, if they want to go to college here, they should go home and apply for student visa and pay the same tuition rates as other foreign students. Lawbreakers do not deserve more than those who abide by the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
 
539 posts, read 545,461 times
Reputation: 749
Several years ago I moved from California to Arizona to take a short-term internship after college. I decided to take a course at the local community college to learn a new skill. Then I saw the difference between resident and non-resident rates and I realized I couldn't afford to take the class since I hadn't been in Arizona long enough to qualify as a resident. It's frustrating that people who have been in the country illegally might end up qualifying for in-state rates when legal residents of the country can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM
 
Location: texas
9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Several years ago I moved from California to Arizona to take a short-term internship after college. I decided to take a course at the local community college to learn a new skill. Then I saw the difference between resident and non-resident rates and I realized I couldn't afford to take the class since I hadn't been in Arizona long enough to qualify as a resident. It's frustrating that people who have been in the country illegally might end up qualifying for in-state rates when legal residents of the country can't.
So your problem is with the rate differential. Why should you have to pay a higher rate? period.

Illegals not being able to attend at the lower rate would have not changed your situation...You still would have not been able to afford the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Here
10,833 posts, read 11,591,935 times
Reputation: 5928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
So your problem is with the rate differential. Why should you have to pay a higher rate? period.

Illegals not being able to attend at the lower rate would have not changed your situation...You still would have not been able to afford the class.
His comment clearly went waaaaaaaaaaaay over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: texas
9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
His comment clearly went waaaaaaaaaaaay over your head.
Explain to me how... EVEN IF NO ILLEGAL ALIEN EVER EXISTED...how would that change the fact that he would still have to pay the "Out-of State" tuition rate? Blame whomever you like, that don't change the facts.

He didnt have the funds. period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top