U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM

836 posts, read 1,132,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Explain to me how... EVEN IF NO ILLEGAL ALIEN EVER EXISTED...how would that change the fact that he would still have to pay the "Out-of State" tuition rate? Blame whomever you like, that don't change the facts.

He didnt have the funds. period.
It doesn't change the situation.

However, it does lead to preferential treatment in that a person present in violation of the laws gets rewarded with lower fees as opposed to someone who is legally present in the United States.

While I have no fish to fry with illegals getting in state tuition, I do take issue with their being eligible for state loans and grants, in the three states that allow it. If I were a citizen in any of the three states, I would begin looking into a law suit against the state for due process violations by garnishing my wages to fund loans and grants for those present in violation of the law.

The issue for me is that higher education is not a right guaranteed by the constitution or case law. There has been no Supreme Court decision supporting the claim that college aged children are "children" in the ordinary sense of the word as in Plyler v. Doe and thus entitled to attend college at free or reduced rates, funded by legally present taxpayers.

Keeping in mind that this does not apply to private institutions. Only public. And there is no public college which does not accept federal funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,517,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
It doesn't change the situation.

However, it does lead to preferential treatment in that a person present in violation of the laws gets rewarded with lower fees as opposed to someone who is legally present in the United States.

While I have no fish to fry with illegals getting in state tuition, I do take issue with their being eligible for state loans and grants, in the three states that allow it. If I were a citizen in any of the three states, I would begin looking into a law suit against the state for due process violations by garnishing my wages to fund loans and grants for those present in violation of the law.

The issue for me is that higher education is not a right guaranteed by the constitution or case law. There has been no Supreme Court decision supporting the claim that college aged children are "children" in the ordinary sense of the word as in Plyler v. Doe and thus entitled to attend college at free or reduced rates, funded by legally present taxpayers.

Keeping in mind that this does not apply to private institutions. Only public. And there is no public college which does not accept federal funds.
First of all, its not in state tuition, it is in-state tuition rate. meaning they must pay the same rate as other students living in the college district.

Your local community has a district. Those that live in the district pay district rates, those that live out of the district, but in the same state, pay in-state rate, those living out of the state pay that rate.

Whether illegal aliens are allowed to attend [public]college or not or recieve tuition assitance is up to the state to decied. No federal law prohibits illegal aliens to attend higher education, only that no federal funds are allowed.

Plyler v Doe only speaks to K-12 not higher ecucation.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,127,381 times
Quote:
First of all, its not in state tuition, it is in-state tuition rate. meaning they must pay the same rate as other students living in the college district.

Your local community has a district. Those that live in the district pay district rates, those that live out of the district, but in the same state, pay in-state rate, those living out of the state pay that rate.

Whether illegal aliens are allowed to attend [public]college or not or recieve tuition assitance is up to the state to decied. No federal law prohibits illegal aliens to attend higher education, only that no federal funds are allowed.

They don't belong here. Its already decided.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,517,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They don't belong here. Its already decided.
please use more that an adjective to make your point...I dont know who "they" are or "who" decided what?

But I remind you, the US Supreme court ruled on illegal alien children being allowed to attend public school. "They"[the US Supreme Court] did not refused to rule because illegal alien students "dont belong here"...did they?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 PM

836 posts, read 1,132,728 times
Quote:

Standard verbage in attending college includes "in state tuition" and "out of state tuition". I see no point in your semantics.

I had already established that Plyer v. Doe ruled that education applies for K-12 because child means child in the ordinary sense of the word. It does not apply to college or higher education. There is no right to higher education.

Again, I've already established that no federal funds are allowed for illegal aliens. And that there is no public institution of higher education that does not receive federal funds.

Hence, my argument.

A simple "I disagree" would suffice on your end.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,457,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Several years ago I moved from California to Arizona to take a short-term internship after college. I decided to take a course at the local community college to learn a new skill. Then I saw the difference between resident and non-resident rates and I realized I couldn't afford to take the class since I hadn't been in Arizona long enough to qualify as a resident. It's frustrating that people who have been in the country illegally might end up qualifying for in-state rates when legal residents of the country can't.
Four states--Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, and Indiana--bar undocumented students from receiving in-state tuition rates. In 2006, Arizona citizens passed Proposition 300, which prohibits undocumented students from qualifying for in-state tuition rates and any type of state financial aid.

Undocumented Student Tuition: State Action

Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM

302 posts, read 343,910 times
Actually from what I have heard on the news, the governor of Colorado is about to sign a bill permitting in-state tuition for illegals. Politicians in Colorado don't give a crap what the legal residents want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or