Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish is like comparing British English and American English. Each with different words to reference different things and different accents. The Spain Spanish is really annoying.. With all the "THHHS". They spit on you.
An Argentinian speaking Spanish sounds like Tony Soprano speaking English. The language is Spanish, but there are actually more Italians in the ethnic mix than Spanish. The double "L" doesn't sound like the English "Y" sound, as in Mexico, but like the English "J" sound.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
I do not respect Argentinians. They have this ego that just pisses you off. I don't think they even think of themselves as Latino anymore. They're European. And I see more Blonds on the Mexico team than the Argentinian team.

The funny thing is, when Hispanics whether from spain or south america sound the EXACT SAME when they're trying to speak English.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I do not respect Argentinians. They have this ego that just pisses you off. I don't think they even think of themselves as Latino anymore. They're European. And I see more Blonds on the Mexico team than the Argentinian team.

The funny thing is, when Hispanics whether from spain or south america sound the EXACT SAME when they're trying to speak English.
Yep, they do see themselves as Europeans, for sure, and want others to see that they aren't just "Latin Americans"---and do tend to look down on their neighbors. I've never been to Europe, but Buenos Aires seemed quite European to me. Uruguay is a similar place---almost totally white Europeans in both countries.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Never been to Buenos Aires or Uruguay, but yes they are more "White" than other parts of Latin America. Reason being is because there weren't as much "Native Amerindians" for the Spanish to make babies with. Also recent immigration from Europe to those places is also a factor. Same reason why Northern Mexico is more white than Southern Mexico.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:

Argentina is 97% White--------heck: even Great Britain has more people of color.

Argentine 'Latinas' L-R: they look Italian, Japanese, and Nordic White---yet all three women are Hispanic under US law.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 AM

537 posts, read 441,205 times
Quote:

So, you are saying that you don't respect people unless they are brown and are racists and bigots like so many Mexicans are? You showed your true feelings there and your love of anytbhing Mexican but hate toward anything different. That is not American at all.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
So, you are saying that you don't respect people unless they are brown and are racists and bigots like so many Mexicans are? You showed your true feelings there and your love of anytbhing Mexican but hate toward anything different. That is not American at all.

Many people in America, particularly in the more southerly regions, and most particularly among its lower economic classes, and even more particularly in its trailer parks, do in fact take very close notice of a person's ethnicity. Some of these people even question the "legitimacy" of fellow whites, such as "eye"-Talians...and "Spaniards"...
Such racism may indeed be a feature of Mexican culture, but it's also still here in large measure in the USA...(I refer you to the recent Duke LaCrosse Team rape case---a totally race-based conflict).
It may not be nice, Veiled Prophet, and it's certainly ugly and depressing. But you're wrong to say it's "not American at all"...unfortunately, it is still a part of this culture...and a part of this forum as well....

PS Notice also that the above post denigrating Argentinians was based on the behavior of their "teams"---a sports-based judgement. In the heat of sports, wild, inaccurate statements are often made by otherwise intelligent people...like "kill the umpire".....and "what're you, BLIND?"...Judging the behavior and merits of an opponent's team may not be a blanket statement of prejudice....though I'm only guessing at the poster's intent.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:

What makes them Latino? If I, an American born white of European heritage moved to Argentina and had a kid, would my kid be a "Latino?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic
Lol, I disagree 100%. You can tell it's a " derivative of Spanish" accent, but I can often differentiate between Mexican accented English, and Cuban accented English, and South American accented English, and Portuguese accented English....

Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What makes them Latino? If I, an American born white of European heritage moved to Argentina and had a kid, would my kid be a "Latino?"
Short answer--yes, that's right, your "kid", for purposes of classification in US society, would be Latino. I've known many Argentinians who had first cousins in the US.....("Papa" immigrated from Europe to Buenos Aires, while his brother immigrated to New Jersey)...very common.
Argentina even contains a sizeable British-descended community, (They're big on cricket and polo) as well as lots of Germans, (they operate many of the southern ski lodges)..etc., and curiously enough, a small area in the far south of several villages where the ancient Welsh language is still spoken, by a neighborhood of Welsh-Argentinians. All of these folks, if they ever got to the US, would instantly become "Hispanics". Crazy....but don't get mad at me; I don't make this up--I only report it.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Short answer--yes, that's right, your "kid", for purposes of classification in US society, would be Latino. I've known many Argentinians who had first cousins in the US.....("Papa" immigrated from Europe to Buenos Aires, while his brother immigrated to New Jersey)...very common.
Argentina even contains a sizeable British-descended community, (They're big on cricket and polo) as well as lots of Germans, (they operate many of the southern ski lodges)..etc., and curiously enough, a small area in the far south of several villages where the ancient Welsh language is still spoken, by a neighborhood of Welsh-Argentinians. All of these folks, if they ever got to the US, would instantly become "Hispanics". Crazy....but don't get mad at me; I don't make this up--I only report it.
And macmeal is 100%------which also gives La Raza severe heartburn.

OTOH:

People like the musician Jose Gonzalez who is a Swede.

Maria Arredondo is a Norwegian

And there are those 'pesky' Filipinos------most of whom have Spanish names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration