U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,811,188 times

Advertisements

Dallasblog.com, the Dallas, Texas news blog and Dallas, Texas information source for the DFW Metroplex. - DALLAS BLOG - Bilingual Education Has Forsaken Original Intent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,625,689 times
Happens quite often. Many Hispanic Americans don't speak Spanish. A fair number of "gabachos" (like me) do. Causes lots of misunderstandings, but normally no real hard feelings. My wife (Hispanic/ Indian) is frequently ASSUMED to speak Spanish, but knows very little. This causes one set of emotions when a persitent Hispanic person INSISTS she "must" really speak it, if they only talk a little louder...and quite another set of emotions when a "gringo" sees her as his chance to show off HIS Spanish skills. We manage to see the humor in this, but it can become tedious.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 PM

My best friend from senior year in high school through college is hispanic and knows very little Spanish (I got a better grade in Spanish class than he - I like to tease him about that) - he has a lot of people coming up to him all the time - I think it embarrasses him and some do get a bit militant about it. I wonder if this is prevalent among the 'new arrivals' that you must speak Spanish and not English.

My previous thinking was that they didn't need to learn English because everthing is available to them in Spanish (try finding English stations on the radio these days). I didn't know there was a lot of peer pressure to speak only in Spanish.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,981,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My best friend from senior year in high school through college is hispanic and knows very little Spanish (I got a better grade in Spanish class than he - I like to tease him about that) - he has a lot of people coming up to him all the time - I think it embarrasses him and some do get a bit militant about it. I wonder if this is prevalent among the 'new arrivals' that you must speak Spanish and not English.

My previous thinking was that they didn't need to learn English because everthing is available to them in Spanish (try finding English stations on the radio these days). I didn't know there was a lot of peer pressure to speak only in Spanish.
My favorite is how they usually assume that if you're white, you can't understand them. I understand every word they say, and if they gossip about me in front of me (which does happen from time to time), I cut them down in Spanish. I just love that look of open-mouthed shock.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM

LOL ND - my Spanish is not that great - I did take an intensive refresher course in Sitges, Spain a couple of years ago (much easier to understand proper Spanish) BUT I can pick up on things. I did learn all the 'bad words' back in high school when sometimes they thought a teacher wouldn't understand (they did).

It's funny to see a group where they were speaking English or Spanglish revert to Spanish so they think you won't know what they are saying .. actually it's not funny, it's rude but it's funny they think they are getting away with it!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM

10,639 posts, read 20,778,169 times
This happened last night in the gym in NYC. A (fully bilingual) guy approaches the desk and proceeds to ask a question in Spanish. A moment or so into his question, the woman behind the desk says 'Sorry?' and he says, oh, you don't speak Spanish? and switches to English. After she answers his question in English, he says 'you really don't speak Spanish?' I didn't hear the answer as I was on my way out but I found it kind of funny.

When I was in the cell phone store today my transaction was the only one (of many) that was happening in English.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
I knew a guy who was obviously 'Anglo'; blond hair, blue eyes, etc. who spoke Spanish as well as most Mexico sourced people------the guy in question was from Iowa!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I knew a guy who was obviously 'Anglo'; blond hair, blue eyes, etc. who spoke Spanish as well as most Mexico sourced people------the guy in question was from Iowa!
Too bad he wasn't from Utah---some of the blondest, blue-eyedest people you'll see anywhere are Mormon males who have done stints as "missionaries" and learn the language of where they're assigned. As a result, I've heard, Salt Lake City and vicinity is just about the easiest place in the US to find an "emergency" speaker of just about ANY language on earth--by means of the church "telephone network" in that area.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 AM

447 posts, read 706,583 times
i would like to ask the hispanic people in this forum, something i have been told by my hispanic friends...
they tell me that the spanish that they speak as american hispanics, as opposed to mexican hispanics is a different dialect...that they do not understand completely what the mexican is saying.
do you also have a hard time translating?
curious minds would like to know.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i would like to ask the hispanic people in this forum, something i have been told by my hispanic friends...
they tell me that the spanish that they speak as american hispanics, as opposed to mexican hispanics is a different dialect...that they do not understand completely what the mexican is saying.
do you also have a hard time translating?
curious minds would like to know.
I have caught flak from Hungarians for not understanding/speaking their tongue-----my father is an immigrant from over there. Needless to say: I took offense being the above ethnics were in my country and had the nerve to criticize/ostracize me.

Oh well.

As for the 'Hispanic' kid not speaking Spanish; he being an American------no one has the right (La Raza or anybody else) to say he is wrong or racist for not knowing that language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or