U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 162,850 times

Advertisements

I don't know if Canadians enjoy special immigation and visitation privileges or not. I do know that in terms of "border security" there have been terrorist threats from Canada and none from Mexico. I also know that the winter population of Canadians swells here in Arizona and particularly in Yuma. I also notice fewer Canadian dimes lately.
1. Do Canadians enjoy special immigration/visitation privileges?
2. Should they? Why?
3. Are we leaving a giant gap in our wall on the north side?
4. Don't you just hate the way they say "about"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 36,177 times
Canadians are threatening the US with terror? Mass drownings with Maple Syrup prehaps? It's just terrible...

Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
The border with Canada has been subject to stronger security recently, due to concerns about evil folks coming into Canada as a gateway to enter the USA.

USATODAY.com - Up north, the worry on border is economic

Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelintom View Post
1. Do Canadians enjoy special immigration/visitation privileges?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Should they? Why?
Yes, because Canada is a huge trading partner and ally, and we don't have a huge number of Canadians moving here and taking American jobs...so I'm satisfied with our visa policies regarding Canadians. Incidentally I think our policies towards them are more lax than theirs regarding us.

Quote:
3. Are we leaving a giant gap in our wall on the north side?
Yes and no. We've never really needed a strong northern border before but I am certain we will need one in the future.

Quote:
4. Don't you just hate the way they say "about"?
Yes.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
The only things Canadians have done to hurt us was send us Bryan Adams.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
I guess nobody remembers 9/11 where allegedly 2 terrorists came by way of Canada?

So knowing that, the US government sent 6000 troops to the Mexican border, where 0 terrorists came thru

Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
There was one VERY angry guy some years back (don't recall which middle eastern country he was from) who was caught on the Victoria BC-Port Angeles, WA (Strait of Juan de Fuca) Ferry. In his trunk were various "fishy" things, including LA-Area street maps and some diagrams of the layout of LAX. Don't know whatever happened to this guy.

Of COURSE there is a threat of terrorism from Canada. It has a long, mostly unattended border with us, running through a vast stretch of remote country--and it has a large number of refugees and immigrants from some areas that REALLY don't like the U.S... No big mystery there.

The BIG difference with Mexico is not possible terrorists, but illegal immigrants. Canada is a very affluent nation, pretty much on a par with the US in terms of living standards. Mexico is an impoverished nation with an enormous part of its population living in serious poverty. The economic pressure driving people out of Mexico and into the US is very strong. Little such pressure exists coming from Canada.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:53 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I guess nobody remembers 9/11 where allegedly 2 terrorists came by way of Canada?

So knowing that, the US government sent 6000 troops to the Mexican border, where 0 terrorists came thru
I wouldn't bet too heavily on that. Shortly after 9-11, I heard several reports of a large number of "single males" who were staying in a cheap hotel in Nogales, Sonora, which normally caters to prospective border-crossers. It turns out that these men were all natives of several Middle Eastern countries. According to the story, they were arrested by the Mexican "Feds" and transported to Mexico City to await deportation. The Mexican government notified the US.
I don't know how the story ended up, or whether they were ever deported, but it seems to me that the US / Mexican border would look very tempting to any terrorist with "half a brain"....

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 AM

38 posts, read 162,850 times
Default Yeah, I see now. Almost.

[quote=nativeDallasite;1830122]Yes.
Yes, because Canada is a huge trading partner and ally, and we don't have a huge number of Canadians moving here and taking American jobs..

Gee, I looked it up and you are right. Canada is our number one trading partner and Mexico is only #3 (after China) and only has about 2/3 of the imports and exports that Canada has. We do lose less in our trade balance with Mexico though. And I seem to recall that Mexico refused to join the "coalition of the willing" but I think recent polls reflect most US citizens are no longer "willing" either.

But I have never quite understood the part about how the Mexicans are taking American jobs. I would think that an American should be able to sucessfully compete for that job, what with superior language skills and all. Then again, I have never known an American that lost his job to a Mexican or applied for a job that was given to a Mexican.

I do wish I had saved all those Canandian dimes over the years. I think the return on them might have beat my IRA.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wouldn't bet too heavily on that. Shortly after 9-11, I heard several reports of a large number of "single males" who were staying in a cheap hotel in Nogales, Sonora, which normally caters to prospective border-crossers. It turns out that these men were all natives of several Middle Eastern countries. According to the story, they were arrested by the Mexican "Feds" and transported to Mexico City to await deportation. The Mexican government notified the US.
I don't know how the story ended up, or whether they were ever deported, but it seems to me that the US / Mexican border would look very tempting to any terrorist with "half a brain"....

I remember reading about that. Also the Bush Administration's Intelligence Estimate last year documented middle-eastern men coming into the US over the Mexican border with Venezuelan ID documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration