U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,261,486 times

Advertisements

Either find a hospital to make a legal stand or a state legislature to
put something together.

WTH hasn't this been done yet? We where close in Arizona recently,
but absolutely no significant movement on this abuse since then.

BTW. I was born in another country to U.S. Citizen parents. Guess
what my citizenship is? Why people bring up the poor children with
no country B.S. is comical. You are born the citizen of the
country your parents are citizens of, period. Why would we have it otherwise?

If I was from another country and didn't want my kids to have U.S. citizenship,
why should it be forced upon them. I wish we could find some lone wolf in that
situation, who could sue the government for claiming jurisdiction over their children,
against their will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
...BTW. I was born in another country to U.S. Citizen parents. Guess what my citizenship is?...
Believe it or not, if neither of your parents (even if married to each other) had any residency within territory of the United States prior to your birth, you would not have derived U.S. citizenship from them:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Kinda shoots a hole in the concept that citizenship would be derived from parentage...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,776,053 times
Quote:
put something together.

situation, who could sue the government for claiming jurisdiction over their children,
against their will.
I agree, but, as long as that idiot Obama is in the WH nothing will change.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 AM

1,127 posts, read 744,385 times
Quote:
put something together.

against their will.
Why would a hospital go against the US constitution? What would they have to gain?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,493,558 times
How does the Hospital facilatate citizenship? The Hospital only provides birth services. The county clerk certifies the birth.

Society accepts that birth child as a citizen of the US. Change the concept of Americans that a birth in the US is a citizen birth.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,977,657 times
I would change the law so that you are born a US citizen only if one of your parents is a US citizen.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM

31,760 posts, read 14,639,851 times
We have discussed birthright citizenship in here multiple times. There has been bills proposed to reinterpret the meaning of the 14th. Most countries require that a newborn have at least one parent be a citizen of the country in order for them to be granted birthright citizenship. It is time that we follow suit. It is costing us billions granting the newborn's of illegal parents birthright citizenship. It makes a mockery out of our citizenship, IMO.

The problem is getting congress to move on it. I think most of the objection to the change is from the Democrats. They are the same ones who want amnesty for illegal immigrants also. Go figure. The polls show that most regular Americans want this change.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,493,558 times
People believe born on US soil = US citizen. You gat to change the whole of American society. Democtrats and republicans are a reflection of the electroarate.

Born on US soil = US citizen

Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
The law was never intended for illegals to use it as a way to get around the immigration laws of this country. Birth is being used as a easy pass around the laws, and obviously the quick and easy way to access the government handouts.

The law was only intended for the children of slaves. It's only really how the law is being interpreted but the law's intention is in the past. It's best to replace this law with something that fits the modern situation -- which is that we offer far too generous of welfare handouts that only entice those who can't make it in their own countries to come on in.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The law was never intended for illegals to use it as a way to get around the immigration laws of this country. Birth is being used as a easy pass around the laws, and obviously the quick and easy way to access the government handouts.

The law was only intended for the children of slaves. It's only really how the law is being interpreted but the law's intention is in the past. It's best to replace this law with something that fits the modern situation -- which is that we offer far too generous of welfare handouts that only entice those who can't make it in their own countries to come on in.
"The law"? The 14th Amendment has the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause in addition to the Citizenship Clause. It's a landmark notion in its entirety, and not just limited to the descendents of slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration