U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 PM

31,543 posts, read 14,580,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
An immigration attorney friend of mine has represented many illegals that apply for asylum. He can extend their stay in the country for up to 10 years between appeals and motions. Asylum is very difficult to get and in most cases those that file end up getting deported. However he would tell you that if the country took a mean approach toward illegals and all those that would be eligible to apply for asylum actually did, the courts would take decades to hear and decide all those cases.
Mean approach? So enforcing our immigration laws is a mean approach? Mexicans here illegally don't a have leg to stand on claming asylum. They are under Democratic rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What Eisenhower did 1954 would NEVER, NEVER, EVER happen today. So waft nostaglic of things that will never happen.
Uh; never say "never". Many things that wouldn't fly in 1960 are the law in 2013 like no smoking in public places, DWI's, seatbelt laws and so on. What I'm saying is laws not allowing things CAN be passed.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
An immigration attorney friend of mine has represented many illegals that apply for asylum. He can extend their stay in the country for up to 10 years between appeals and motions. Asylum is very difficult to get and in most cases those that file end up getting deported. However he would tell you that if the country took a mean approach toward illegals and all those that would be eligible to apply for asylum actually did, the courts would take decades to hear and decide all those cases.
Nothing "mean" about deporting illegal aliens. Sheesh! It's NOT like Mexico or Ireland are anything like N Korea or even Haiti.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,778,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mean approach? So enforcing our immigration laws is a mean approach? Mexicans here illegally don't a have leg to stand on claming asylum. They are under Democratic rule.
Was not talking Mexico. You know Mexicans are not the only illegals in town?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Was not talking Mexico. You know Mexicans are not the only illegals in town?
Never said otherwise. Just saying that those here illegally from Mexico which comprises most of the illegal alien population have no reason to claim asylum but only in the rarest cases.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Quote:
Never said otherwise. Just saying that those here illegally from Mexico which comprises most of the illegal alien population have no reason to claim asylum but only in the rarest cases.
You are wrongly placing the two distinct categories of asylum for the United States into one grouping. "Defensive asylum" is if an alien (it is not limited to being illegally present) requests it while being in removal proceedings (or at the point that they are forced to return to their native country by U.S. immigration law). "Affirmative asylum" is the request upon trying to enter the United States (either at a Port of Entry or a valid agent / official of the U.S. that can field such a statement).

Mexicans request asylum of either type very seldom, below the rates for other countries. Asylum can be the local political environment (such as a small town police chief fleeing the threat of a drug cartel) as well. It doesn't have to be how the country has its government structured (Mexico is a Republic, just like the United States).

Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You are wrongly placing the two distinct categories of asylum for the United States into one grouping. "Defensive asylum" is if an alien (it is not limited to being illegally present) requests it while being in removal proceedings (or at the point that they are forced to return to their native country by U.S. immigration law). "Affirmative asylum" is the request upon trying to enter the United States (either at a Port of Entry or a valid agent / official of the U.S. that can field such a statement).

Mexicans request asylum of either type very seldom, below the rates for other countries. Asylum can be the local political environment (such as a small town police chief fleeing the threat of a drug cartel) as well. It doesn't have to be how the country has its government structured (Mexico is a Republic, just like the United States).
It is pretty obvious why Mexicans very seldom request asylum then based on what I said, isn't it? This forum is about illegal immigration therefore I am addressing that group in regards to asylum seeking. However, there is very little basis for asking for asylum from either group of Mexicans, legal or illegal.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It is pretty obvious why Mexicans very seldom request asylum then based on what I said, isn't it? This forum is about illegal immigration therefore I am addressing that group in regards to asylum seeking. However, there is very little basis for asking for asylum from either group of Mexicans, legal or illegal.
Your reference (phrasing it as aliens already present illegally) is to "defensive" asylum. Mexicans, despite their higher ratio in the population of illegal aliens, are going to be seeking "defensive" asylum at lower numbers than those of other countries (China, for example). Note that you are the one that brought a nationality into the asylum discussion, the comment you were replying to did not have it.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Your reference (phrasing it as aliens already present illegally) is to "defensive" asylum. Mexicans, despite their higher ratio in the population of illegal aliens, are going to be seeking "defensive" asylum at lower numbers than those of other countries (China, for example). Note that you are the one that brought a nationality into the asylum discussion, the comment you were replying to did not have it.
Isn't that what I said that Mexicans would probably be seeking asylum at lower numbers because there would be no basis for them to do so? Just what are you arguing here?

So what that I brought up Mexicans? I merely brought them up because they are the largest group here illegally. The person I was replying to IMO was implying that a lot of illegals would apply for asylum because it was viewed that enforcement of our immigration laws is a "mean" approach. Who knows how the rules could be bent for any national/ethnic group including asylum. Nothing surprises me anymore to try and legalize as many illegal immigrants as possible regardless of where they are from. New surprises everyday with this administration.

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what I said that Mexicans would be seeking asylum at lower numbers because there would be no basis for them to do so? Just what are you arguing here?

So what that I brought up Mexicans? I merely brought them up because they are the largest group here illegally.
Number-wise, a nationality like Mexicans don't come into the equation when talking about asylum. If you're going to cover asylum, cover asylum. If you are going bring up that Mexicans are a high percentage of illegal aliens, bring it up. The discussion doesn't relate to being about both at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or