U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times

Advertisements

Doesn't surprise me Americans get fleeced by illegals all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times
They can still have "movie night" just no buttered popcorn.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,173,156 times
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless,
Tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Soon to be posted at intervals on the border.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM

31,895 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Tempest-tossed to me

Where does the poem say you can come here illegally? The golden door isn't the back door. We are no longer a wide open frontier in need of workers and builders of this country. We have over 315 million people in this country now with shortages of jobs and resources. Was the poem meant to imply that there should be no limits whatsover on the number of human bodies we should absorb into this country to the point of committing national suicide? Most who are coming here illegally aren't homeless and most are already breathing in the free country called their homeland. Nice try though. It fails everytime.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,502,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Tempest-tossed to me

Those words placed on the Staue of Liberty makes some people's skin cringe...because it stands for the real America...true American values. 150 years ago and today.

They are about to get a another lesson in American Liberty.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Those words placed on the Staue of Liberty makes some people's skin cringe...because it stands for the real America...true American values. 150 years ago and today.

What do you mean by these statements?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

31,895 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Doesn't make me cringe at all since it was written during a different time and under different circumstances. What makes me cringe is when one tries to stretch the poem to mean come here irregardless of our immigration laws and regardless of the much higher population we have now compared to then. American values and laws are to come here legally not illegally. If that poem were to be taken literally and forever then we would have no immigration laws today. What you are implying is that we have no right to immigration laws today based on some poem on the Statue of Liberty that came from the French anyway.

American Liberty? So in otherwords American liberty means open borders with no immigration laws? You can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration