U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM

318 posts, read 457,556 times

Advertisements

Lost in the discussion about how long it will take the current illegal aliens to be given US Citizenship is the details about what is going to happen to the people currently in America illegally IMMEDIATELY after the law is passed.

It is my understanding nearly everyone in America illegally will be able to apply for a Non Immigrant Visa that will give them the legal right to stay in America but not an official Green Card or Citizenship. Exactly how will this huge undertaking be administered? Lets say there are 20 million illegal aliens in America who want to come forward and apply for this Non Immigrant Visa what gives them temporary amnesty and the right to work in America, just how long would it take to get all these people's applications reviewed and approved? (In an era of sequester cuts to ICE and other government agencies which would review the current illegal aliens applications.)

What if someone does not apply because they are afraid the authorities will find out they had been using someone's identity for the last few years illegally or have other criminal issues? Or if someone had been ordered deported before? Or what about the illegal aliens who are sitting in a immigration prison somewhere? Or the ones sitting in Mexico ready to run across the border the moment amnesty is announced?

I just don't see this working very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Lost in the discussion about how long it will take the current illegal aliens to be given US Citizenship is the details about what is going to happen to the people currently in America illegally IMMEDIATELY after the law is passed.

It is my understanding nearly everyone in America illegally will be able to apply for a Non Immigrant Visa that will give them the legal right to stay in America but not an official Green Card or Citizenship. Exactly how will this huge undertaking be administered? Lets say there are 20 million illegal aliens in America who want to come forward and apply for this Non Immigrant Visa what gives them temporary amnesty and the right to work in America, just how long would it take to get all these people's applications reviewed and approved? (In an era of sequester cuts to ICE and other government agencies which would review the current illegal aliens applications.)

What if someone does not apply because they are afraid the authorities will find out they had been using someone's identity for the last few years illegally or have other criminal issues? Or if someone had been ordered deported before? Or what about the illegal aliens who are sitting in a immigration prison somewhere? Or the ones sitting in Mexico ready to run across the border the moment amnesty is announced?

I just don't see this working very well.
It's a travesty especially with cuts to programs that benefit Americans. It will be a huge undertaking and a huge cost to the taxpayer.

As for those who have committed crimes all will be forgiven including using stolen or fake ID's to work (felonies). Only those who have committed violent or very serious crimes will be deported and as you said those criminals won't come forward for this CIR anyway.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM

318 posts, read 457,556 times
I am particularly interested in hearing from fellow posters who are in support of the comprehensive immigration reform proposals to answer my question.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM

6,936 posts, read 6,992,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
You might want to wait until specific legislation/regulations are introduced before working up a sweat on the subject.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You might want to wait until specific legislation/regulations are introduced before working up a sweat on the subject.
Talk about is more than enough to be concerned.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,202,357 times
Kick them OUT..plain and simple.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
In my opinion any amnesty will double the size of illegal aliens residing here in less than ten years. The current illegals, once legal, won't do the jobs they are currently doing. This will give the business owners who refuse to pay prevailing wages an excuse to use more slave like labor.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,454,537 times
If they have been working here they need to prove they have paid their taxes or have the cash to pay all of them now or face a severe penalty JUST LIKE WE LAW OBEYING CITIZENS WOULD HAVE TO.... Amnesty can forgive them for sneaking in but it SHOULD NOT FORGIVE THEM FOR NOT PAYING THEIR FRIKKIN BACK TAXES,,,If so why should we pay them?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,202,357 times
So let me get this straight...15 million of the same people will get to live here....why?
I remember when immigration was a set number to people from around the world..a certain amount from Europe..Africa...South America,so how in the hell do you allow 1 type of people to have so much leverage?

This is disgusting but the sad part is I blame Americans for letting this happen,instead of voting in these spineless worms...vote in people with character...this country is being lead by fools!

Again no massive amount of 1 people should be allowed in at 1 time!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
So let me get this straight...15 million of the same people will get to live here....why?
I remember when immigration was a set number to people from around the world..a certain amount from Europe..Africa...South America,so how in the hell do you allow 1 type of people to have so much leverage?

This is disgusting but the sad part is I blame Americans for letting this happen,instead of voting in these spineless worms...vote in people with character...this country is being lead by fools!

Again no massive amount of 1 people should be allowed in at 1 time!
Diversity has gone by the wayside in favor of those from south of our border. Family ruinification, quotas, illegal immigration you name it. They get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or