Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times

Advertisements

I have come to believe that there is no way we could have the number of undocumented workers in the US which are here without our society allowing it to be so. So the question becomes: Who in America gains from the undocumented workers being here and who is preserving the status quo? Follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Budgets originate in the House of Representatives.

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits with NO benefits and NO grandfathering tenure.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I have come to believe that there is no way we could have the number of undocumented workers in the US which are here without our society allowing it to be so. So the question becomes: Who in America gains from the undocumented workers being here and who is preserving the status quo? Follow the money.
It was allowed, not forced.

Now after all of these years allowing this to happen, I believe we all benefit and have felt the detriments. I would love to see a Full Circle Approach to the money, unfortunately all data I have found comes with a strong left or right bias, so I doubt we will ever know the full economic effect.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Business interests in this country support illegal immigration.
Read, Largely Republican Conservative Reaganites, to judge from my ag business aquaintances and family.

I have told the story of the local farmers running camps in the canyons for illegal workers, the farmers supplied tent housing on wooden platforms and three meals a day. As a kid we would go to the camps to eat, it was a great adventure.
Not much has changed. If we deported the "criminals" which are the criminals?
The illegal workers?
The companies that support and employ them?
The consumers who partake of the food, goods and services supplied by the illegals (this means you)?

Why not deport or throw into jail anyone who has ever benefited from the work done by illegals?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Why not deport or throw into jail anyone who has ever benefited from the work done by illegals?
There'd be no one but illegals left to enjoy those benefits.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Society didn't allow it, the Government did. If you still truly believe that society allowed it, that is hypocritical-- Unless your on the border hunting illegals.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
You are absolutely right. However there is an idea out there that a bunch of liberal politicians allowed it. In fact it was allowed by both parties because illegal immigration was and is desired by those who contribute large amounts of money to campaigns.

Illegal immigration is an economic benefit to capitalist companies who wish to increase their stock value and to compete successfully in the capitalist marketplace.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the capitalists, after all, as we learn in basic economics, profit is the difference between the value of a product and cost to produce it. If a company wants to increase profit it needs to reduce the cost of production, ta ta,,, inexpensive illegal alien labor.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Society didn't allow it, the Government did. If you still truly believe that society allowed it, that is hypocritical-- Unless your on the border hunting illegals.
As we learned in the civil rights period, there are de facto and de jure evil situations. Government is responsible for one and society for the other. So, with our status on undocumenteds, you can't just blame it on the government.

But my basic question is not who to blame for the situation -- its an examination of who profits from the situation. I think that those who profit the most from having a readily-accessible workforce which is low paid and has little ability to complain about their working conditions are mostly the business owners and other paternalistic exploiters of the situation as to undocumenteds.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Border control is a federal issue. Why does or does not the federal government actively control the border?

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits with NO benefits and NO grandfathering tenure. Send the FEDs home today.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to see my tax dollars (If I paid taxes) to see it waste on Border Security. They will still keep coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration