Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,487,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
I dont see the problem with the majority of people's last name being Garcia, if they are American, and to have that happen, more than half would have to be born here. Kinda like how Washington is a 90 percent black name even though its suppose to be white?
Also why would I let myself be checked for papers when I go to the store? I dont even carry my wallet when I walk to the corner.
Its like giving up your freedom to be "safe" like the T.S.A., who by the way have never caught a terrorist, passengers have.
You say you wouldnt mind but if someone asked me for my papers I would be offended and I'm sure blacks would feel like if they were asked it would take them back to the day of having their walking papers on them at all times. Also I'm sure police will use this as an excuse to stop random people, brown cause they might be mexican and black cause they might be puerto rican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you can't really believe this can you? do you really think there has never been black people stopped by the police for no reason? we have good police as well as bad police, you get a bigoted policeman he will stop who ever he wants no matter what their color. all he needs to do is make up some flimsy excuse to do so. so yes people are stopped and questioned because of how they look.
Ive been stopped by the cops. I dont care. Im clean and I carry my ID. No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM

18,345 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
But, and this a BIG but you seem to be evading, not LEGALLY.

As chicagonut said there are good and bad in all fields and no law is going to stop a bad cop from profiling if that's what he wants to do, but should we then change all our laws to take into account the very small percentage of bad apples in LE ?

what do you mean I am "evading"? no, we should not change the law to take into account a small minority but the law should be written so that the chance of racial profiling won't happen.

racial profiling happens more than we are aware of, unless it is a high profile case it goes unreported or is a minor nuisance that people of color put up with more than others do. we need better worded laws. or better yet, enforce the ones we have now

Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
what do you mean I am "evading"? no, we should not change the law to take into account a small minority but the law should be written so that the chance of racial profiling won't happen.

racial profiling happens more than we are aware of, unless it is a high profile case it goes unreported or is a minor nuisance that people of color put up with more than others do. we need better worded laws. or better yet, enforce the ones we have now
How would re-writing laws stop certain bad cops from racial profiling? That isn't possible. If they are that way they will do it no matter how the law is written. Give us an example of how a law on the books already could be re-written to prevent that? Why worry about a minority of bad cops anyway? We don't live in a perfect world with perfect people. Cops are no exception. Another point to make is that no matter how a law is written there will always be people that will scream racial profiling anyway, whether it is true or not.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 PM

18,345 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How would re-writing laws stop certain bad cops from racial profiling? That isn't possible. If they are that way they will do it no matter how the law is written. Give us an example of how a law on the books already could be re-written to prevent that? Why worry about a minority of bad cops anyway? We don't live in a perfect world with perfect people. Cops are no exception. Another point to make is that no matter how a law is written there will always be people that will scream racial profiling anyway, whether it is true or not.
you can't prevent racial profiling completely but the laws can be written in such a way that it makes it more difficult to do so. the law in az is an example. I am not a lawyer so can't say how it could be written, but it obviously has some holes in it or there would be less people up in arms about the ease of which people could be profiled. things will never be perfect but we should try to get things as even handed as possible.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
you can't prevent racial profiling completely but the laws can be written in such a way that it makes it more difficult to do so. the law in az is an example. I am not a lawyer so can't say how it could be written, but it obviously has some holes in it or there would be less people up in arms about the ease of which people could be profiled. things will never be perfect but we should try to get things as even handed as possible.
Remember. Most illegal aliens here in Arizona are brown skin people who speak Spanish. Thats probable cause right there if another crime has been comitted for the cops to ask further.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
No, their real motive for objection was that they want to protect illegal aliens from detection...bottom line. The Az law was even revised for more clarity so that there would be no mistake that racial profiling was prohibited in it.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Remember. Most illegal aliens here in Arizona are brown skin people who speak Spanish. Thats probable cause right there if another crime has been comitted for the cops to ask further.
No, actually you are incorrect on this one. Having brown skin or speaking Spanish is not probable cause to ask for immigration or legal status in Az or anywhere else in this country. If a brown-skinned, Spanish speaker is stopped for a broken tail light for example, the only thing that would bring those questions up would be if that person didn't have a valid DL or a green card.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,409,927 times
What is the point, don't we address our complaints on this subject almost daily. What is the point, if those that are suppose to care about this problem, leave it out to dry, they don't give a crap about this illegal situation, now on the other side, Arizona does, Get a clue D.C. It is wrong, because doing something by illegal means is never right, how come those in the big White House did not get the message.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times
Quote:
No, actually you are incorrect on this one. Having brown skin or speaking Spanish is not probable cause to ask for immigration or legal status in Az or anywhere else in this country. If a brown-skinned, Spanish speaker is stopped for a broken tail light for example, the only thing that would bring those questions up would be if that person didn't have a valid DL or a green card.
Then there would be no need for a "probable cause" clause in the law. It would be an automatic status check if a mototrist did not have a valid I.D.; for every motorist...

There is no provision in the law that states that if a motorist has a valid DL/ID, then no further questions on immigration status are warranted.

Furtheremore, the law does not only apply to LEO and motorist incounters, the law states...

Quote:
B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO ISUNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES,...
Quote:
E. A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.
The law is far from clear-cut...

Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Quote:
Youre right. I forgot about the ID card thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration