Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM

98 posts, read 79,156 times

Advertisements

First off, yes, I am an immigrant; my family moved here when I was four years old. No, I am not an illegal, I became a citizen in 2011 and before that I was a permanent resident. I am proud of my Mexican heritage and proud of the sacrifices my parents endured to give me a better life. This does NOT however mean that I have to support amnesty. In fact whenever I have discussed the issue with people they inevitably say, "don't forget where you came from." To them I say, if my parents could sacrifice enough to pay lawyer and application fees to get my siblings and I green cards(with only my father working as a farm laborer by the way) then there is no excuse for anyone else not to become a resident the legal way. So enough with the hypocrite, backstabber, and traitor accusations; if they really wanted to, they could become permanent residents the legal way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

11,235 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
First off, yes, I am an immigrant; my family moved here when I was four years old. No, I am not an illegal, I became a citizen in 2011 and before that I was a permanent resident. I am proud of my Mexican heritage and proud of the sacrifices my parents endured to give me a better life. This does NOT however mean that I have to support amnesty. In fact whenever I have discussed the issue with people they inevitably say, "don't forget where you came from." To them I say, if my parents could sacrifice enough to pay lawyer and application fees to get my siblings and I green cards(with only my father working as a farm laborer by the way) then there is no excuse for anyone else not to become a resident the legal way. So enough with the hypocrite, backstabber, and traitor accusations; if they really wanted to, they could become permanent residents the legal way.
First off - Thank you and congratulations! It is a wonderful accomplishment.

Second - Disregard those people. You have a lot to be proud of. Don't let them minimalize your accomplishment or make you feel guilty for abiding by the law. You are a role model that sadly many will not have to emulate to receive the same priveledges as you get to enjoy.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
I have often heard the term HINO (Hispanic in name only) applied to people like you who are of Mexican ancestry and yet want our immigration laws enforced and no amnesty for those who break them by the ethnocentric segment of your ethnic group. It's really a shame to be viewed in that manner when you obviously put your loyalty to your country above ethnic ties. Good for you! You are a breath of fresh air.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM

193 posts, read 340,181 times
Quote:
Who is calling you a hyporcite in the first place?

That seems very stupid. If anyone does call you that and of illegal status, you should attempt to get them deported.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM

98 posts, read 79,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post

That seems very stupid. If anyone does call you that and of illegal status, you should attempt to get them deported.
Heard it from everyone on message boards to friends who know or are related to someone who is illegal. The person in particular who said "i should remember where i came from" was my girlfriend's uncle. He himself is an illegal(in fact I believe his wife is as well) and he had a look of utter shock when I stated my opposition to amnesty.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post

Many Hispanic citizens would consider him a race traitor. They can't be deported.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Quote:
Good for you

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
First off - Thank you and congratulations! It is a wonderful accomplishment.

Second - Disregard those people. You have a lot to be proud of. Don't let them minimalize your accomplishment or make you feel guilty for abiding by the law. You are a role model that sadly many will not have to emulate to receive the same priveledges as you get to enjoy.
^^ This

Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have often heard the term HINO (Hispanic in name only) applied to people like you who are of Mexican ancestry and yet want our immigration laws enforced and no amnesty for those who break them by the ethnocentric segment of your ethnic group. It's really a shame to be viewed in that manner when you obviously put your loyalty to your country above ethnic ties. Good for you! You are a breath of fresh air.
That's just so sad. I swear the "crab pot" thing goes with Mexicans too; if 1 wants to come here legally AND become American, many of the others try to drag him back down by calling him a sellout and so on. Sheesh!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Congratulations on becoming an American citizen!

Don't listen to people who are calling you a hypocrite. I think you are 100% right for not supporting amnesty. Why should lawbreakers get the same rewards you and your family worked hard and sacrificed for? It's total crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration