U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,417,644 times
Reputation: 521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
My dad came to california for a couple months(during the harvesting season) in the 70 as an illegal but he went back to Jalisco. The rest of my family was legal but we couldn't afford to solly apply for citizenship so my brother and I became citizens via the Marine Corps.
I think you're fine.

My dad in the late 80's overstayed his visa making him illegal but went back to his native country a month after his cargo visa expired. 6 months later, he got a work permit and a political asylum visa with the help of his friends who worked at a Chinese restaurant and w/ a lawyer in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
 
1,859 posts, read 1,958,482 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
First off, yes, I am an immigrant; my family moved here when I was four years old. No, I am not an illegal, I became a citizen in 2011 and before that I was a permanent resident. I am proud of my Mexican heritage and proud of the sacrifices my parents endured to give me a better life. This does NOT however mean that I have to support amnesty. In fact whenever I have discussed the issue with people they inevitably say, "don't forget where you came from." To them I say, if my parents could sacrifice enough to pay lawyer and application fees to get my siblings and I green cards(with only my father working as a farm laborer by the way) then there is no excuse for anyone else not to become a resident the legal way. So enough with the hypocrite, backstabber, and traitor accusations; if they really wanted to, they could become permanent residents the legal way.
The impression is, is that the U.S. has one of the most difficult immigration systems in the world, when actually it has one of the easiest. The problem is, is that millions of people want to come here, and believe they have the right to, regardless of what our laws indicates. I applaud your conviction, that people must abide by our laws, and shouldn't be given a free pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 PM
 
78 posts, read 60,509 times
Reputation: 37
Just wanted to apologize for the typos in my in previous post, I was replying on my phone and you know it's not always easy to type accurately on those things. Another thing those bugs me is these people I saw on tv protesting the deportation of family members because it "breaks up the family". Give me a break, no one says their family can't leave with them. My dad's second cousin was deported about five years ago and you know what his wife and daughter did? They followed him back home, they didn't stay here and cry about their family being ripped apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Reputation: 601
I guess that where there is a will, there is a way. In my family's case, we waited everything out, no overstays, time of being illegal aliens, or other relatives brought in legally or illegally. Even had them on my health insurance before entry.

Huh, you never really could tell of what someone's stance could be, based on their or their family's past...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I guess that where there is a will, there is a way. In my family's case, we waited everything out, no overstays, time of being illegal aliens, or other relatives brought in legally or illegally. Even had them on my health insurance before entry.

Huh, you never really could tell of what someone's stance could be, based on their or their family's past...
Yes, it is strange when someone's family does it the right way and yet they still defend those who do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, it is strange when someone's family does it the right way and yet they still defend those who do not.
Stranger still to hear of a couple of backgrounds clash with statements that an illegal alien (or their offspring) will not be welcome in the United States...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
Just wanted to apologize for the typos in my in previous post, I was replying on my phone and you know it's not always easy to type accurately on those things. Another thing those bugs me is these people I saw on tv protesting the deportation of family members because it "breaks up the family". Give me a break, no one says their family can't leave with them. My dad's second cousin was deported about five years ago and you know what his wife and daughter did? They followed him back home, they didn't stay here and cry about their family being ripped apart.
You dad's cousin sounds like a MAN who took care of business, not a fool who thinks life owed him something once he was picked up for being in the US illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,540 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Reputation: 3953
My parents are Asian immigrants and our family has NO sympathy for the illegals who did not play by the rules they did. My family has never spent a single day on welfare or depended on the government for anything. We never asked for a handout or felt anyone owed us anything. We have NEVER depended on the government like all the illegals and even many American citziens depend on the government. Yet we pay taxes so illegal aliens can get a free ride with the Dream Act.

Even when they are speaking Chinese, they never use the term "undocumented" they use the terms "illegal immigrant" since alien is hard to translate in Chinese. But they also very often just say "illegal people" or "illegal person" which translates directly. Many Asian Americans are VERY opposed to illegal immigration and to socialism as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 AM
 
156 posts, read 111,818 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You dad's cousin sounds like a MAN who took care of business, not a fool who thinks life owed him something once he was picked up for being in the US illegally.
See, this is what baffles me. I can understand wanting a better life; and, although I don't agree, I can see where some would take a chance and come illegally. But, I do not understand this feeling of being entitled to stay. If I were in a foreign country illegally, I'm pretty sure I would feel enough guilt to not
Protest too loudly when authorities caught up with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Stranger still to hear of a couple of backgrounds clash with statements that an illegal alien (or their offspring) will not be welcome in the United States...
What? Care to clarify this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top