U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,709,175 times

Advertisements

In your business, are you able to supply the following?
The employee must be provided with transportation to and from the worker’s temporary home to the workplace.

When the contract period is up, the employer must provide the worker with transportation home or to their next workplace.

Employers must provide housing to all H-2A workers who do not commute. The housing must be inspected by the Department of Labor and must meet minimum federal standards for temporary labor camps.

The employer must either provide three meals a day or facilities in which the worker can prepare food.

And pay a reasonable wage

Could your company afford to do that? We can't, the H-2A program is designed not to be implemented.

Neither employers, nor farmworker advocates consider it a practical program.

Did you see the list of crops in the Wikiapedia article? Did you see fruits and vegetables? No, for the most part you saw midwest machine farmed crops, rice is a California crop, but it is machine work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:20 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,778,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Research the H2-A for agriculture work and H2-B Visa system for non-ag work:

What is H2A Visa and What Privileges Do I Enjoy on it?

Agricultural subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I looked at the link and can't find ANY fruit or vegetable subsidies......GRAINS yes....in the the largest payment of grain subsidies goes to the Queen of England....who also owns the majority of gold mining in the entire United States.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 7,477,393 times
I've heard that if we import produce from Mexico, Latin America and China it would actually be about the same price we are paying now. I think we even import most of our garlic from China these days. Dont you think it would solve the shortage of workers problem if we did such a thing?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,660,794 times
Greatbasinguide has direct experience in agriculture and knows the problems besetting the industry. He is saying there is a shortage of farm laborers. I have direct experience in the health care industry and I am saying there is a shortage of health care workers. Furthermore, I am saying the alleged bankruptcies of hospitals cannot be attributed solely to the utilization of resources by illegals. So, here we have two members of this forum who are actually in the trenches facing these issues everyday who are telling you what we see. What we see is an economy that cannot continue to prosper if we MOD CUT economic policy in this country.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-28-2007 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: stop with the labeling of groups

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,709,175 times
Quote:
I've heard that if we import produce from Mexico, Latin America and China it would actually be about the same price we are paying now. I think we even import most of our garlic from China these days. Dont you think it would solve the shortage of workers problem if we did such a thing?
After the unionization of the fields by Chavez's United Farm Workers Union, growers responded in at least two ways, one was to mechanize as much as possible, the other was to move labor intensive work to Mexico and other countries. So while Chavez wanted a liveable wage for farm workers in the US, the result was fewer jobs at higher wages and a great increase in Mexican farms with trulyawful wages. Which lead to a greater need to come to America for that liveable wage.

Today we do get a lpretty fair percentage of our produce from Mexico.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
It is their own fault for using illegals. I do not feel sorry for them. Let start using legal immigrants and Americans and pay them decent wages or suffer the consequences.

Good luck finding U.S citizens to do this. Maybe people should give up their $50/hr job and go start working in the fields. Thats a great idea!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:45 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,454,903 times
Mechanize some more, kick up the wages

some more

I'd migrate to work in agriculture if the price were right.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,160,565 times
If you kick up the wages won't that affect the price of food? OF COURSE IT WILL!! Simple economics.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM

I spent a good part of my childhood running tractors, bailing hay and milking cows on my cousins farm. He could usually find a couple of family members or local youths to help out in the summer and for the harvest. This dairy farm has been in the family for generations and these people have alot of land. If they sold it all right now they'd be multi millionaires. I dont know if other farmers are so fortunate but I have a hard time feeling sorry for land barons that hire slaves and then cry because the have to go dig a couple taters. Sorry for the farmers but this adjustment has been coming down the pike for decades they should have prepared better.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM

Not as much as you'd like to think. And when the price hits a certain point food from other coutries will move into the market.

supply and demand is

SIMPLE ECONOMICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If you kick up the wages won't that affect the price of food? OF COURSE IT WILL!! Simple economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration