U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,707,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Growers say crackdown is causing workers to flee; now they want reform

Maureen Torrey, an 11th-generation farmer in the rural town of Elba, N.Y., has been losing sleep. Just as rows of cabbage and winter squash stand ready for harvest on her 11,000 acre farm, she can't find enough workers to bring in the crops. She needs about 350 workers and is 70 short of that number. "I wake up at 3:30 in the morning and my mind doesn't shut off," she says.

Immigration raids hurting farmers - BusinessWeek.com - MSNBC.com
Guess I will have to do without cabbage, Somehow I'll get over it.
Next time hire legal workers.
Since about 50% of all fruit and vegetables are grown and harvested by illegals, and you cannot tell which fruits and veggies are grown and harvested by illegals, it is my suggestion that you no longer consume commerically grown fruits, vegetables and grapes in the form of wine.

Quote:
In 1900, for example, 41% of the U.S. population was employed in agriculture, while that number now stands at less than 2%.
Interesting stats from the article, are illegals to blame or is it that Americans have moved on to better jobs?
Mechanization primarily. Picture in your mind gangs of wheat harvesters with sickles and scythes, they don't exist anymore.

The only area that employs huge amounts of manual laborers is fruits and vegetables, that includes wine grapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
On one side of the state the kids are out of school to work the fields.
And yes, in 2007!
If a farmer truly wants to employ non-illegal workers then they must advertise the jobs they need to fill.
People on welfare could be such a person to work on such farms.
Most people can learn to drive a tractor and other equipment.
If they placed an ad at the unemployment office I'll just bet they would get people to work.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,707,816 times
Quote:
f a farmer truly wants to employ non-illegal workers then they must advertise the jobs they need to fill.
People on welfare could be such a person to work on such farms.
Most people can learn to drive a tractor and other equipment.
If they placed an ad at the unemployment office I'll just bet they would get people to work.
Trust me growers do not seek out illegals, they will put to work anyone who shows up. but somebody who wants to operate equipment had better be experienced. You don't show up and get a job running a $100,000 tractor down rows of valuable crops, you will do stoop labor, and there is the rub, not many people will do stoop labor.

Some of you are working under the misaprehension, that any one can work the fields, and that growers want illegals working for them for some mysterious reason. You need to get out more. Field work sucks. It really sucks, you don't want to do it, I don't want to do it and people who have screwed their lives up so much they don't have jobs are not about to do it.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:55 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
I wonder what would happen if we import all of our food. Not only will it be more expensive, but we would have to put more money toward the FDA. What if a terrorist group tries to infect our food?! Think of the epidemic!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 PM

537 posts, read 312,205 times
We already have people infecting our foods all over the country and of course China. Stop acting like it would be a new thing. There are plenty of epidemics in this country of diseases that were, in the past, basically wiped out for Americans. We have them again because of the idiocy of the government and the idiot 1965 immigration "reform" allowing an unending flow of uneducated and ignorant and diseased third world people to come into the country.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,454,145 times
I watched some news magazine last nite 20/20 or something. Apparently they are having problems bee keepers losing millions of bees due to some virus or a new pesticide that screws with the bees homing abilities. Anyway when the bee keeper had to charge the farmer double because his costs had more than doubled the farmer paid. He need 12 million bees for six weeks that normally cost $14000.00 and the new cost was $27000.00. I dont know if this means anything except that a business man does what he has to. If I were a farmer I'd be thinkin outside the box because this stuff is coming to a head

Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Yea but nothing major...yet. It would be a new thing however, for someone to infect our foods with some of the newer diseases.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,454,145 times
Pass the cost on to the consumer. You'd be surprised at how much revenue paying an extra dime for a head of lettuce will generate. In fact if you give me a dime for every head of lettuce I stoop, pick and haul I'll show up for work tommorow

Old 10-29-2007, 05:11 PM

537 posts, read 312,205 times
Anything is major Pro when anyone dies from diseased illegals and legal immigrants.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

I've been around illegals all my life. No disease yet, I am perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration