U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,701,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I discussed this topic with my mother last night (many of you know she is Mexican born/US Citizen) Here is what she had to say:

Many farms in Florida, New Jersey, and New York used to hire legal "summer workers" from SOB back in the 80's-90's. She once dated a guy from Monterey who would come up during the summer on a visa to work in the fields.

Many of those summer workers decided to stay and became naturalized citizens, which have now become business owners or partners in those states.

However she remembers no anglo-americans working in those fields even back in the 80's, they were all from Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico.

She remembers some of those American farmers doing some pretty radical things to "sponsor" illegal labor which save both parties a lot of money, and at the total expense of the illegal laborer. Of course they are stupid for putting their heads on the line, but needing the money they pursued it.

So the point is there were no Americans then to do the jobs in 80's, from my mothers account American companies pay for much of the expense to get these illegals in the country, knowing that they will get only a slap on the wrist and the illegal will get deported with possible jail time. Also somewhere along the line, it became much more advantageous to bypass the summer worker programs.
Well from my families account, who actually own 8 different farms, white's are all you see in the fields. Where I live farmers are using low level prison inmates that are doing the work, and you know what, it is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well from my families account, who actually own 8 different farms, white's are all you see in the fields. Where I live farmers are using low level prison inmates that are doing the work, and you know what, it is working.
I think that is GREAT!!!!!
I also think that city people believe there is no one to do such laborus work. Because they themselves would never to such work.
But I am here to tell you there are plenty in the rural areas to do the work of the land which we all benefit from. BTW....
I think that all city kids should visit farms and see what beef, pork, etc actually is on the hoof.
How a corn, wheat, and a orchard looks as it is on the land. Not in a fruit basket in the store. Or corn out of a can.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM

185 posts, read 319,646 times
"We need more illegals to pick our crops" is a fallacy. Repeat a lie often enough and it sounds like the truth.

Over 20 million of the 30 million illegal aliens are NOT WORKING. They head straight for the urban area's, start squirting out anchor babies and take everything they can get their hands on. Until we can boot them out why don't we get the lazy, money grubbing illegals to work before we import more?

10,000 crossed the border yesterday, 10,000 more today, 10,000 more tomorrow. Do you think we have 70,000 new jobs every week for illegals? Not to mention the throngs of anchor babies.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Not to be disrespectful here, but isn't using inmate labor STILL putting Americans out of work? Recall if you will the southern chain-gang system that existed up until recent years, in which inmates were "rented" out to large landowners....one of the most serious charges against this potentially VERY abusive system was not its inhumanity, but the simple fact that it competed with "free labor".

In fact, all sort of "industries" were tried in various southern prisons---logging, turpentine-tapping, levee and railroad right-of-way maintenance, vegetable farming, etc.-ALL of it wide-open to abuse of the convicts, and all of it labeled as "unfairly competing with free labor".

Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 28 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,478,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
"We need more illegals to pick our crops" is a fallacy. Repeat a lie often enough and it sounds like the truth.

Over 20 million of the 30 million illegal aliens are NOT WORKING. They head straight for the urban area's, start squirting out anchor babies and take everything they can get their hands on. Until we can boot them out why don't we get the lazy, money grubbing illegals to work before we import more?

10,000 crossed the border yesterday, 10,000 more today, 10,000 more tomorrow. Do you think we have 70,000 new jobs every week for illegals? Not to mention the throngs of anchor babies.
I have never heard these numbers before, do you have a source to backup 20/30 million illegals are not working?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not to be disrespectful here, but isn't using inmate labor STILL putting Americans out of work? Recall if you will the southern chain-gang system that existed up until recent years, in which inmates were "rented" out to large landowners....one of the most serious charges against this potentially VERY abusive system was not its inhumanity, but the simple fact that it competed with "free labor".

In fact, all sort of "industries" were tried in various southern prisons---logging, turpentine-tapping, levee and railroad right-of-way maintenance, vegetable farming, etc.-ALL of it wide-open to abuse of the convicts, and all of it labeled as "unfairly competing with free labor".
No it isnt putting them out of work, the citizen inmates are put to work when other workers can not be found, like the rural areas here with small populations. The inmates get paid and actually do something instead of sitting on their rears in jail. Much beter plan than illegals and no abuse, they are treated rather well.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 28 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,478,889 times
Quote:
No it isnt putting them out of work, the citizen inmates are put to work when other workers can not be found, like the rural areas here with small populations. The inmates get paid and actually do something instead of sitting on their rears in jail. Much beter plan than illegals and no abuse, they are treated rather well.
I'm sorry but having inmates picking my veggies seems scary to me. I mean would you really want to have a convicted criminal (druggie, rapist, pedophile) picking your peppers over someone who only crossed the border illegally? I think I feel safer with the illegal from SOB.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
As I said, no disrespect to you---I just shudder to think what happens when one of these guys decides it's "too hot" and collapses in the field, twisting his knee, and then decides to call in the ACLU. It must be a very carefully screened group of inmates, and I don't like the sound of it---looks like it could be "sabotaged" for the above reasons, and end up costing millions.

However, you still haven't addressed the "competition" issue---why not staff an auto-assembly plant with willing inmate labor?---or a fast-food restaurant?--You may be aware that a motel chain (I think it was "super 8") used inmates on their telephone "reservations" staff. But even then, there were grumblings of "putting people out of work". Sounds like it's still in the experimental stages to me....

Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM

We are talking low level offenders, no rapists, or pediphiles, dont be silly. We have women in the fields, they all volunteer, have worked hard prison jobs and have excellent behavior while in jail. Me I would trust them over illegals anyday. They are well taken care of and watched. No worry of diseases either. Costing Millions?, well the illegals cost Billions, I will take the inmates.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,998,723 times
Quote:
We are talking low level offenders, no rapists, or pediphiles, dont be silly. We have women in the fields, they all volunteer, have worked hard prison jobs and have excellent behavior while in jail. Me I would trust them over illegals anyday. They are well taken care of and watched. No worry of diseases either. Costing Millions?, well the illegals cost Billions, I will take the inmates.
Prison inmates did a fine job here in CA helping to put out the fires. No reason why they can't do the same in the fields.:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration