U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,698,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Prison inmates did a fine job here in CA helping to put out the fires. No reason why they can't do the same in the fields.:-)
Yep make them earn their keep for sure. No easy ride, it is hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Prison inmates did a fine job here in CA helping to put out the fires. No reason why they can't do the same in the fields.:-)
Can't argue with that, and I'm eternally grateful. Still, this is an emergency situation, a little different from on-going, day-to-day work. We sort of suspend the rules at times like this. And once again, I'm very grateful for this.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM

they can do the day to day had work as well. Shouldnt the low level offenders that want to work be given the chance to change?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
they can do the day to day had work as well. Shouldnt the low level offenders that want to work be given the chance to change?
Heck: if the low level convicts were offered a 30-50 cut in their prison time and stayed on their best behavior; that also may solve the overcrowding problems in the prisons.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Heck: if the low level convicts were offered a 30-50 cut in their prison time and stayed on their best behavior; that also may solve the overcrowding problems in the prisons.
yea good point.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,077,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
LOL....kids. I don't make $50 an hour, but if I was unemployed and desperate, I might take a fruit-picking job. I'm not too proud to do it, but I went to college so I (hopefully) won't ever have to.
*Chuckle* I worked the fields as a kid as well. Several of my friends throughout high school worked for various farmers around our town. The wage was darn good, but it was hard work and long hours. Good for getting you to sleep though. Heck, I actually perferred working the farms over doing retail jobs that paid you crap. Farm work paid much better in those cases.

Funny how everyone is poor, but then when it comes to this issue, everyone is making 50 bucks an hour. Do they even realize how silly they sound with their double positions?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
*Chuckle* I worked the fields as a kid as well. Several of my friends throughout high school worked for various farmers around our town. The wage was darn good, but it was hard work and long hours. Good for getting you to sleep though. Heck, I actually perferred working the farms over doing retail jobs that paid you crap. Farm work paid much better in those cases.

Funny how everyone is poor, but then when it comes to this issue, everyone is making 50 bucks an hour. Do they even realize how silly they sound with their double positions?
I sent my kids to my uncles to help with the harvest every year. My oldest now in College and working retail wishes he could work that job again. He hates retail, bad pay and worse job satisfaction. He didnt mind the work, kept him in shape!!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM

185 posts, read 319,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I have never heard these numbers before, do you have a source to backup 20/30 million illegals are not working?
There's a new study that puts the number as high as 38,000,000.

Immigration & Overpopulation Issues - Californians for Population Stabilization CAPS

I was giving them the benifit of the doubt.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,695,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We are talking low level offenders, no rapists, or pediphiles, dont be silly. We have women in the fields, they all volunteer, have worked hard prison jobs and have excellent behavior while in jail. Me I would trust them over illegals anyday. They are well taken care of and watched. No worry of diseases either. Costing Millions?, well the illegals cost Billions, I will take the inmates.
I just don't like the idea of illegals near our food like that. I wonder if they are going to start doing things to our food. to get back at us not wanting them here?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,695,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

I put up hay in the summer. My husband and his friends moved pipe for the farmers. My son has friends that moved pipe all summer and they are all white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration