U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times

Advertisements

Cubans are now going through Mexico to get to the USA - also some Mexican illegals who get caught now claim they are 'Cubano'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,971,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Cubans are now going through Mexico to get to the USA - also some Mexican illegals who get caught now claim they are 'Cubano'.
Shameless. *shaking head*

They need to get out of my country.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-31-2007 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,473,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
There are other countries with far more oppressive governments than Cuba has and we don't have special policies for them.
like I said these policies stem from decades ago and I doubt they will be overturned considering the political clout Cubans now yield. There are now 2 Cuban American US Senators, 4 US House of Reps, the US Secretary of Commerce is also Cuban yet the total population is 1.2 million in the US which is tiny compared to other immigrant groups.

Of course the political asylum issue is the main reason for allowing Cuban immigrants in I get the feeling the US government doesn't mind since most are not a burden on services once they arrive here. Since they are legal they can seek work immediately and contribute to our economy.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,237 times
First of all, thank you to everybody who replied. Second, from what I'm hearing, it seems that the law was put in place not for the welfare of the people who are opressed, but kind of a spit in the face of Castro.

I haven't heard too much about the Haitian perspective on the matter either. Macmeal spoke about the Haitians not having many "marketable" skills which I found to be interesting. Can anybody go a little deeper with the conflict between the Haitian refugees and this policy?

Also, MiamiRob, why do they go to Mexico and walk into the country?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,473,129 times
bjanbkoi they go to Mexico because they don't have to risk getting caught by the Coast Guard and they avoid the wet foot/dry foot policy. Smugglers will go down to Cuba in boats and pick up people who pay them to get them to Mexico where they bribe officials there. Once there they get to the US border all they have to ask for is political asylum which is guarenteed.

As for the Haitian issue the US classifies them as "economic" refugees/migrants similar to what illegal Mexicans are since Haiti is a democracy albeit a very poor one.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:25 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,213,984 times
Interesting, what is the process to differentiate Cuban vs Mexican citizens when both enter via Mexico? Do Cubans retain some type of documentation?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,237 times
That is interesting, I would also like to know the answer to the question NewtoCa asked. Also, which officials are bribed in Mexico? Do you think the "economic" refugee status Haitians and Mexicans have make this a racial issue as well as political? Also, what is the situation like in Cuba that so many Cubans are leaving? I've heard from different people that Cuba is a horrible place because of Castro, others say that it's not that bad, and others say that the Cubans coming to this country are racist and don't want to be treated as equals to the darker Cubans on the island. Could anybody clarify these rumors for me?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,971,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjanbkboi View Post
That is interesting, I would also like to know the answer to the question NewtoCa asked. Also, which officials are bribed in Mexico? Do you think the "economic" refugee status Haitians and Mexicans have make this a racial issue as well as political? Also, what is the situation like in Cuba that so many Cubans are leaving? I've heard from different people that Cuba is a horrible place because of Castro, others say that it's not that bad, and others say that the Cubans coming to this country are racist and don't want to be treated as equals to the darker Cubans on the island. Could anybody clarify these rumors for me?
Mexicans have "economic refugee" status? News to me. Source, please.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Interesting, what is the process to differentiate Cuban vs Mexican citizens when both enter via Mexico? Do Cubans retain some type of documentation?

Illegals crossing are probably not considered Cuban unless they have relatives or some sort of documentation that can back up their stories.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,216 times
It's interesting - I've always thought that this policy of letting Cubans in if they arrive by boat was unfair to any others who might want to come.

And, now you're saying that some go through Mexico and they get in that way? Why would they be considered any "better" than Mexican illegals? What do they have to do once they reach wherever they're going - Florida, most likely?

Now, I feel sorry for the ones from Haiti. That's what some of this illegal immigration debate is about - why are we letting in only CERTAIN people (Cubans legally, and Mexicans illegally, for purposes of this debate) over all others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration