U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,017,090 times
Reputation: 1009

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

That's what some of this illegal immigration debate is about - why are we letting in only CERTAIN people (Cubans legally, and Mexicans illegally, for purposes of this debate) over all others?
I agree, the Wet Foot/Dry Foot policy is a double standard. Perhaps with the huge amounts of both illegal and legal immigration we should just shut the door entirely for a while. At least long enough to get a handle on the situation.

We have reached the point where foreign governments control our immigration policy. With the Wet Foot/Dry Foot policy any time Castro wants to open the flood gates Southern Florida's going to get hit with a couple hundred thousand immigrants overnight, and hopefully this time they won't be the violent felons that Castro sent us last time when he emptied out his prisons.

And the government of Mexico is pretty much openly encouraging its entire poor underclass to come here. They even print comic books explaining how to do it so even the most illiterate ones can get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,005 times
Reputation: 10
Very economically based, i believe less racially based because there are many Cuban blacks. The Haiti has a very small brain drain and has much less to offer than 99.9% literate Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 993,807 times
Reputation: 369
<<why are we letting in only CERTAIN people (Cubans legally, and Mexicans illegally, for purposes of this debate) over all others?>>

As was stated, Cubans are seen a political refugees. Refugees from certain countries may request political, or religious asylum. The fear of death, or incarceration, due to political, or religious beliefs is the only acceptable reason for asylum. Economics isn't an acceptable reason to enter the country without proper documentation. Countries with a Democratic government aren't considered a threat to their citizens, thus the difference between Cubans and Haitians.

Mexicans aren't considered politically, or religiously threatened, so their main reason for migrating is economical. The reason there are so many Mexicans here illegally is:

1. It's easy for them to get here. In most places, all they have to do is walk across the border. As long as they can avoid the border patrol, once here they can easily blend into Hispanic communities.

2. The US government has not enforced the immigration laws. The reason for that is
corporations with a lot of political clout, see them as cheap labor, while politicians see them as a voting block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,898 posts, read 12,294,086 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Cubans are now going through Mexico to get to the USA - also some Mexican illegals who get caught now claim they are 'Cubano'.
That would never work, Mexicans and Cubans have vastly different accents when they speak. Any Mexican can easily identify a Cuban for how he/she speaks and vice-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,186,440 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That would never work, Mexicans and Cubans have vastly different accents when they speak. Any Mexican can easily identify a Cuban for how he/she speaks and vice-versa.
So what if they both have the same goal of entering our country? I don't get your point here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,898 posts, read 12,294,086 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So what if they both have the same goal of entering our country? I don't get your point here.
My point is that I don't buy that Mexicans are claiming to be Cubans when they come into the country because it'd never work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,186,440 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My point is that I don't buy that Mexicans are claiming to be Cubans when they come into the country because it'd never work.
What wouldn't work? If both Mexicans and Cubans are sneaking through our border who is checking out their accents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
77 posts, read 88,376 times
Reputation: 35
Chicagonut Did you read the previous posts? They are talking about legalizing their status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,898 posts, read 12,294,086 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What wouldn't work? If both Mexicans and Cubans are sneaking through our border who is checking out their accents?
Yeah, I don't feel like summarizing everything that was previously discussed...go back to the beginning of the thread and start reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top