U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,301,617 times

Advertisements

IMHO, there is people who are making a legitimate claim of being concerned about a group of people from several countries entering illegally into their territory.

But there is also another group of people that see this as a perfect excuse to let their racist impulses roam free.

don't you think these people (the racists) give arguments to illegal immigrants to scream racism!! and gain some support?

imho, this racism pollution gives a bad name to advocates for tighter immigration controls, and scares a significant amount of citizens that are concerned with this phenomenon but don't want to be labeled as racists.

what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-28-2007 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM

57 posts, read 172,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
imho, this racism pollution gives a bad name to advocates for tighter immigration controls
Since when do MEChA and La Raza favor tighter immigration controls??

This is news to me.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
IMHO, there is people who are making a legitimate claim of being concerned about a group of people from several countries entering illegally into their territory.

But there is also another group of people that see this as a perfect excuse to let their racist impulses roam free.

don't you think these people (the racists) give arguments to illegal immigrants to scream racism!! and gain some support?

imho, this racism pollution gives a bad name to advocates for tighter immigration controls, and scares a significant amount of citizens that are concerned with this phenomenon but don't want to be labeled as racists.

what are your thoughts?
Well of COURSE this is true--I've said this repeatedly. Nothing could please a racist more that to find an identifiable minority who is ACTUALLY BREAKING THE LAW .....it's GREAT, because you can come up with all kinds reasons you don't like him, because you don't like criminals....you don't even have to mention his race....COOL !
We can't really do anything about this. In an issue such as illegal immigration, the racists are going to go in with us, whether we like it or not. Racists are probably also in favor of cheap gasoline, clean air, and saving the environment. We can't be against these things just because the racists are FOR them.
The same thing exists in ALL racist situations. Many young people in the "inner city" try NOT to do well in school---because it would be seen by their peers as "acting white". Pretty self-destructive way of thinking, but it does happen. They would be better off to LEARN things, regardless of whether or not "white people" used the same books, or not. But racism isn't usually too well thought out....

Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Proud American View Post
Since when do MEChA and La Raza favor tighter immigration controls??

This is news to me.
I understand the post very well. He's suggesting that some people might be reluctant to advocate immigration controls for fear of being labeled "racists". And as you know, NOTHING strikes fear into the heart of a modern American like the thought of being called a racist...That's why it's called "The Race Card"....one single card that can trump the entire discussion. If I can show that "You're a racist", the entire conversation dies, and you lose...even if you have many good points.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 PM

537 posts, read 312,705 times
Quote:

what are your thoughts?
what should be made to silence those racist voices and stop the pollution?
Honestly??? Well, I am sick of people making race an issue when it is not one in the first place. It seems some who post here do just that. Know anyone like that? I do and I made a post about that very problem in another thread to the particular party trying to make race an issue.

Also, the opening post is nothing but a trolling post made to start trouble in my opinion.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,230,467 times
My thoughts are that the question has some merit but is too difficult to analyze and discuss within the context of a posting forum. I have little doubt that the discussion would evolve in a way that would result in problematic postings.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration