U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is civil war inevitable?
Yes 4 36.36%
No 3 27.27%
Maybe 1 9.09%
I don't know 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM

140 posts, read 79,701 times

Advertisements

Below is a video depicting the dramatic change in the demographic (I'm guessing) makeup of Montebello High School. As I recall these students (2006) were on the news for staging a walkout or something.
Montebello High School, 1959 and 2006
My question is this; if this video is in fact genuine, and the children depicted in these videos are in fact legal citizens of Mexican decent, are we heading toward a civil war?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Civil War? I sincerely hope not. High-school age kids are notoriously immature and idealistic. I hope they "grow out of this" in a few years. But you are correct in alluding to the fact that there are serious problems in American society, and at the very least, this should serve as a warning that we need to get our society "back on track", and soon.

There's no guarantee anywhere that American society will last. Like anything else, it requires constant attention and "maintenance" if it's going to survive. It's time we began to seriously ask ourselves where we'll be in 20 years---or 50--or 100.

PS--When I first saw the title of your thread, I immediately assumed you were going to talk about the academic "dumbing down" of the school system over the past few decades. That's a very serious problem too, and certainly concerns our future as well..

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
I lived in Pico Rivera from 1985-89; the next town east of Montebello and that whole area was getting sketchy back then.

That is why my now ex wife and I moved to Arizona.

Piece of irony here: Edward James Olmos, like me, is of part Hungarian heritage-------Olmos is not a Spanish name.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Olmos
Spanish: habitational name from any of the places named Olmos, from the plural of olmo ‘elm’.

Anyway, this sort of thing happened at my high school. But no flag was taken down, turned upside down or anything. It all started on Cinco de mayo when Mexican students brought their flags to show their pride. Then people started bringing American flags and started using it to taunt the Mexican people. Then everyone started bringing their own flags from different parts of the country. Then the school outlawed carrying flags.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Actually: Edward's surname was Hungarian; in that language it is pronounced 'Olmosh'. The 'S' sound by itself is 'SH' whereas 'SZ' sounds like the English/Spanish 'S'.

I know a few Hungarian words/phrases due to my heritage.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
I don't see the point of this video. I don't see how a video of 1959 and today is relevant. Showing the school as predominantly white back then with a movie glitz vs kids walking down a sidewalk today from mixed nationalities, some calling out (vast majority were silent) demonstrates what point?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,659,447 times
Quote:
Showing the school as predominantly white back then with a movie glitz vs kids walking down a sidewalk today from mixed nationalities, some calling out (vast majority were silent) demonstrates what point?
It demonstrates the anxieties of the original poster (and perhaps of many on this forum) about the demographic shift that is happening in the US...from a predominantly white culture to a mixed/diverse culture. Then, the original poster takes a poll on whether we think civil war is inevitable....implying that the increase in diversity is leading us to the brink of civil war.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Olmos
Spanish: habitational name from any of the places named Olmos, from the plural of olmo ‘elm’.

Anyway, this sort of thing happened at my high school. But no flag was taken down, turned upside down or anything. It all started on Cinco de mayo when Mexican students brought their flags to show their pride. Then people started bringing American flags and started using it to taunt the Mexican people. Then everyone started bringing their own flags from different parts of the country. Then the school outlawed carrying flags.
So when 'Mexican students' (your words) brought their flags it was 'to show their pride', but when 'people' started bringing American flags they were 'using them to taunt the Mexican people'?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,659,447 times
The idea behind the video is to show an idyllic picture of white America in the 1960s, and juxtapose that with the chaotic environment in 2006 with the Hispanics as the majority in that high school. Of course, I could also post a video of the pandemonium in the 1960s when white demonstrators almost destroyed the city of Chicago during the Democratic national convention, and juxtapose that with a photograph of well-behaved Mexican-American students in their crisp uniforms attending Catholic high school. One can cherrypick the images one wants to project in order to deliver a propaganda point. This thread is all about propaganda of which Leni Riefenstahl would be pretty damn proud.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
Well, having viewed the video three times, and looking over the site itself, I see no reason to leave this thread open. The problems that I have are:
- we don't know the context of the 2006 video
- I see no overt inappropriate behavior in the video itself
- The comparison is nonsense, the baseline video from 1960 isn't anything more than a home movie "memory maker"
- The poll question has no relevance to the video
- The site itself isn't exactly a credible source for analytic information

Thread closed. If anyone has an objection to this send me a DM as to why it should stay open, I'll consider reopening if somebody can give me a good reason to continue this dialog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration