Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
humanitarianism, the understanding of imbalanced economies between neighboring countries, personal friends and their families' experiences and lifestyles, working alongside "illegals", not being scared of new cultures or languages, an understanding of the true reason schools are failing.

MOD CUT

Funny thing about the "true reason schools are failing":

In my "home county" (where my mother still lives), they have equal funding of schools no matter what the location of the school. This means that schools in the poorest areas are given the same as the richest areas.

Wouldn't ya know that those schools with high percentages of illegal and/or migrant students rate as "D" and "F" schools? Same amount of money. Same pool of teachers as the REST of the county graded C, B, and A, yet failing so miserably and famously that these schools give the "entire county" a bad rap. So much so, in fact, that business and industry has actually cited "poor schools performance" as a reason why they won't move to the county to provide jobs.

But it's ok! "It doesn't affect me, and I'm dependent on their labor, so I'm alright with it!" MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: don't comment on quality of other's postings + english only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
I suppose if you moved to France you would do as well in school as the native French speakers? It appears that your criticism is unwarranted, did you expect not native English speakers to do as well as native English speakers? Since in many hispanic families both parents work and work two jobs, often when the kids come home the older ones must take care of the younger ones, expecting them to do the kind of homework middle class Anglos do will result in disappointing.

My children in school often did collaborative research with their friends using the internet, telephone, and fax machines. Poor kids, white or hispanic are far less likely to have that access to technology.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 977,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
MOD CUT

Funny thing about the "true reason schools are failing":

In my "home county" (where my mother still lives), they have equal funding of schools no matter what the location of the school. This means that schools in the poorest areas are given the same as the richest areas.

Wouldn't ya know that those schools with high percentages of illegal and/or migrant students rate as "D" and "F" schools? Same amount of money. Same pool of teachers as the REST of the county graded C, B, and A, yet failing so miserably and famously that these schools give the "entire county" a bad rap. So much so, in fact, that business and industry has actually cited "poor schools performance" as a reason why they won't move to the county to provide jobs.

But it's ok! "It doesn't affect me, and I'm dependent on their labor, so I'm alright with it!" Viva la modelo economico de Latino America!?
money isnt the reason schools are failing.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-29-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
money isnt the reason schools are failing.
Then, why is the left constantly saying they need more money (to succeed)?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Then, why is the left constantly saying they need more money (to succeed)?
To try to retain intelligent teachers who cannot stand to work under the constraints of NCLB, a proven method of not educating children?

The bailout from teaching of thousands of good teachers because of NCLB is a tragedy, created by the current administration, off the subject though.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM

140 posts, read 111,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I am about as English as one can get without the accent. Why would Mexicans scare you? They are moms and dads and sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles just like you and your family.
Rapists, pedophiles, serial murders, thiefs....what do they all have in common? They are "moms and dads and sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles just like you and your family". The issue is that I have seen crime increase 100% since the invasion of illegal immigrants. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the crime came in with them. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that alot of crime is perpetrated against these people but the simple fact remains that if these people weren't here, which they have no legal right to be, the crime wouldn't be either, at least not in the staggering numbers that we are seeing in my once peaceful neighboorhood.

Quote:
The utter innocence and simplicity of this statement takes my breath away. You apparently have no idea of the 20 year struggle against the Union by the growers. You apparently have no idea of the violence perpetuated by UFWOC against men and women who just wanted to work. I blame the United Farm Workers Union for the early death of my father. His heart and soul were destroyed in his struggle to keep what my Grandfather began in 1909, we kept it, but at the cost of his life. The Union and Cesar Chavez in my opinion are evil.
You're right, I have no first hand knowledge of how the union affected the growers. I do know that many felt that Chavez was a hero and he has been hailed as a civil rights leader and even compared to MLK.

Quote:
But, that does not affect my compassion for those who actually work our land.
Compassion is fine but we are required to follow the laws of the land. There is also a measure of respect that should be given to the legal residents of the land as well as to the laws and cultures of the country.
Botton line; you don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Compassion is fine but we are required to follow the laws of the land.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
Quote:
Botton line; you don't bite the hand that feeds you!
I know you did not intend that to be funny, but I nearly fell off my chair. The illegals feed YOU!!!!! Along with the legals. Remember, only about half the field workers are illegal.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM

140 posts, read 111,899 times
Quote:
I admire stsmith's ability to tell the illegals from the legals. I admit, I am not that capable. MOD CUT
I have worked with the legal mexican immigrants for years. There is a HUGE difference between the two. It is abhorrently obvious to me that either your feelings on the subject have clouded your common sense or you have not been fully exposed to the two groups. Either way, if you have no insight of any depth to add to my comments, just keep your opinions to yourself, because your biased and opinionated comments aren't going to change my feelings on the subject!

Quote:
I respect humans who will climb every mountain to improve their lives and the lives of their children. The laws of the United States regarding immigration are as rational as a 45mph speed limit on the interstates. I compare them to marijuana laws, in a nation where cigarrettes and booze kill a million people a year, the government has the audacity to outlaw a benign herb?
I respect humans (law abiding) who will move mountains (peacefully, legally)to improve their current way of life. While you might feel that the laws of the United States are irrational (there are millions and millions who would disagree with you) that is irrelevant, we can't just obey the laws that we agree with and blatently disregard the ones we don't. That would be anarchy.
By the way, where have you seen 45 MPH speed limits on the interstate?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Lets keep the personal stuff down, I let some of it go because the content was so interwoven with the "observations." Obviously this is deteriorating, which is a shame because the exchange was pretty insightful.

If we can't keep it objective, I'll start hacking away at posting (which benefits no parties involved).

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
we can't just obey the laws that we agree with and blatently disregard the ones we don't.
Let us suppose you are an illegal in van riding up I-5. You see the speed limit signs that say 70. You are in the slow lane and getting passed by everyone, and you think to your self, mmm the Americans do not respect their own laws..

The speed limit for big rigs on the interstates is 55, have you ever seen one obeying that law?

Ya'know, I drive I-5 weekly, usually towing a horse trailer, so I am not going more than 15 miles an hour over the 55 speed limit for vehicles towing trailers, and I am passed by everyone except (some) VW buses.

Americans like everyone else obey the law to the extent they feel they can get away with it. People from other countries are no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration