U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 PM

140 posts, read 79,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Let us suppose you are an illegal in van riding up I-5. You see the speed limit signs that say 70. You are in the slow lane and getting passed by everyone, and you think to your self, mmm the Americans do not respect their own laws..
OK, your right, many people, legal and illegal disobey the speed limit. But, if I get caught speeding, it's my fault, right? Is it a moral or ethical issue if I get a ticket? Have my civil rights been violated? What if I kill someone as a direct result of my speeding? If I march, with all the other people caught speeding, demanding to be allowed to speed, while burning the American flag, how far do you think that would get me?

Quote:
Ya'know, I drive I-5 weekly, usually towing a horse trailer, so I am not going more than 15 miles an hour over the 55 speed limit for vehicles towing trailers, and I am passed by everyone except (some) VW buses.
What does this have to do with anything? So you too ignore the law?????

Quote:
Americans like everyone else obey the law to the extent they feel they can get away with it. People from other countries are no different.
And when the people who are breaking laws get caught, they should have to answer for it. Whether it's speeding, unauthorized entry, voter registration fraud, identity theft, or hiring illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,892,377 times
Two things, love of country and the pocketbook. Have found those with neither generally support illegals...go figure.

That said, I, too, have worked extensively with legal and illegal mexicans and feel I can fairly accurately tell the differences. Remember, there is a huge caste system amongst them, the poor uneducated illegals at the very bottom and are readily treated as such by the "upper class" mexicans, i.e. legals (very tongue in cheek).

Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
OK, your right, many people, legal and illegal disobey the speed limit. But, if I get caught speeding, it's my fault, right? Is it a moral or ethical issue if I get a ticket? Have my civil rights been violated? What if I kill someone as a direct result of my speeding? If I march, with all the other people caught speeding, demanding to be allowed to speed, while burning the American flag, how far do you think that would get me?

Actually, if you could convince enough people that you couldn't help speeding, because you didn't understand the law, or the speed limits were aimed at oppressing you, and you were a member of a mistreated group who had a lot of public sympathy, then such marches might get you "off the hook"...just a thought....

Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 PM

6,528 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Travelling first of all.....with your job....please get Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, and Sara Evans into the market in Mexico and Europe/Asia, and if possible, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, and Taylor Swift, people need to be exposed to the real America

My own parents are legal immigrants from Taiwan. They never spent a day on welfare and earned their citizenship after years of hard work. My family is loyal to the U.S. and considers ourselves Americans first. I am very assimilated and culturally Americanized. It disgusts me that people are being rewarded for cheating the system. It also disgusts me when illegals go into our streets and wave foreign flags on American soil.

I've noticed that illegals have brought a lot of poverty, crime, and ghetto mentalities to my city. MS-13 is now the biggest gang in the U.S. Illegals also drive down wages in many industries Americans used to work in. Also illegals are not assimilating well into our country which is a concern in terms of their national identity and national loyalty. I will feel afraid if a lot of my neighbors identify more with a foreign nation than with America.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Well, the first thing that convinces me that illegal immigration is bad is that it's ILLEGAL. It's against the laws of the U.S. Someone who crosses the border, by law, is supposed to spend 6 months in jail, and they are not to come back. Companies who hire illegals are doing that against the law, too.

With that reason, alone, I'd be convinced. Citizens have to obey our laws, why should illegals (of all people) get away with breaking them?

Here are some other bad things:

1. overrun hospitals - many have had to close down in California, for example, because of these non-paying illegals, and now the citizens have no hospital in their area

2. overrun schools - paid for by us, the taxpayers (if illegals pay taxes, it's because they're using a fake SS# or maybe YOUR number) - our kids cannot learn in an environment where they don't all speak the same language

3. crime - 30% of the federal prisoners are illegals, and crime is rampant on the border - we are paying for them to be in prison here in the U.S. Also, many criminals are hiding from the police in their own countries.

4. my pocketbook - I pay for illegals' schools, "free" healthcare, welfare, WIC, etc.

5. They are not loyal to America, but to their home countries. Notice them carrying Mexican flags during their "protests", yet DEMANDING benefits from us, the U.S. citizens!

6. I work with people from all over the world, and they must stand in line to get visas, and pay money, and have interviews, and do lots of paperwork - why should someone just be able to come in without all of this?

7. Diseases are coming back that we have eradicated in the U.S., because illegals do not go through a health check coming in.

8. They have left TONS of trash on the border - it's disgusting - have you seen the pictures? We can't even afford to clean it up, supposedly.

9. They trash neighborhoods by density of population - 20 people should not be living in a one-bedroom apartment

10. They sneer at us, the U.S. citizens, while holding their hands out for our benefits

I guess that's enough for now, although I could think of other reasons. I've felt this way for a long time - at least 10 years, and the more things I see/hear about, it just makes me more against this practice. Their "marches" backfired on them, because finally some Americans realized how bad the problem was, and how they have such contempt for the U.S. citizen, while taking our benefits.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
What motivates my views is how convenient of timing illegals have become a national emergency. However a problem this might be financially or culturally for some Americans, US has allowed this to happen for a reason.

An Enumeration of factors I believe caused this "scapegoat":
America is done building
America is at 2 wars (Possible 3rd incoming)
America has a failing mortgage market
America is in debt again after Bush took us to kill Iraqis.
America has an idiot for President.

Now after decades of consciously not enforcing a border we need someone to blame. Illegal immigration takes the stage, Target set on Mexicans.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
They have always been an emergency, but with the huge influx and lovely march against Americans they have done, it has brought it into the spotlight. Sorry you cant march against us and our laws and demand things that you have no right too, while waving a flag of another country and expect us to just sit back and watch. Dont like our laws, well here is the door, dont let it hit you where the good lord split ya!!!!

The target is set on Illegals and they supporters, including governement and corporations. Dont like it too friggin bad.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
They have always been an emergency, but with the huge influx and lovely march against Americans they have done.
I thought the march was because they didn't want to leave the country and they wanted to become legal U.S. residents. I didn't see them hurt any Americans or deface property. This was the same time HR4437 came out, threatening all illegals to be deported. Would you just sit there?! It's one thing to not like illegal immigrants, it's another to make up boogie man stories about illegals.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
I thought the march was because they didn't want to leave the country and they wanted to become U.S. citizens. I didn't see them hurt any Americans or deface property. It's one thing to not like illegal immigrants, it's another to make up boogie man stories about illegals.
I have been hurt by them, in court now for two beating up my son, lost jobs as well. No one is making up anything, they were protesting against AMERICAS LAWS and us UPHOLDING our laws!! I saw fights and garbage thrown everywhere at the protests in our city, and waving their flags. Yea that will spread the love.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
This thread is old, but considering that we have a lot of new members and a new moderator I thought that it would be interesting to revive it.

Please friends, try to use it as an introspection thread, and not as a fighting thread, it would be much easier to understand each other views if we know what motivates them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or