Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Living near the border, my opinions on illegal immigration are negative. I have had students say they were illegal and refuse to stand up in class for the pledge of allegiance. His reason for not standing was that he was told by his parents that he didn't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance because he was Mexican. I also had another student say that he never wants to become an American. I have had students give me reasons for their misbehavior that I was white and didn't speak Spanish. My principal commended the students for this comment. These children get their viewpoints from their parents. Kids just don't come up with things on their own.

Other motivations include a high number of Mexican gangs in this area make me fear for my safety. I actually stopped wearing makeup and try to go out in old clothes so Mexican men won't stare at me. One time one came up to me and said something to me in Spanish. I never go out at night by myself anymore because I don't feel safe here.

Another motivation is quality of life. If you go into a public restroom here, it is so disgusting that you just try to wait until you get home to use the bathroom. I have seen things I have never seen when I was living in an area where there were few illegals such as used toilet paper on the floor. I mean the toilet is right there, why throw it on the floor!!!
I thought a teachers role was supposed to be unbias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Living near the border, my opinions on illegal immigration are negative. I have had students say they were illegal and refuse to stand up in class for the pledge of allegiance. His reason for not standing was that he was told by his parents that he didn't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance because he was Mexican. I also had another student say that he never wants to become an American....

Other motivations include a high number of Mexican gangs in this area make me fear for my safety. I actually stopped wearing makeup and try to go out in old clothes so Mexican men won't stare at me. One time one came up to me and said something to me in Spanish. I never go out at night by myself anymore because I don't feel safe here.
There is a lot of that which can be seen living on the border. When the national anthem is sung or the flag is raised, they could politely sit but they have to be very disrespectful -- making it very clear they are only here for what they can take from this country but otherwise despise it.

In Mexico it's so bad they have had to start a women's only bus -- the Mexican women were tired of being mauled, groped and sexually assaulted. Maybe it's time for that kind of thing here.

Pestered Mexican women find safety on the buses - Americas, World - Independent.co.uk

Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is a lot of that which can be seen living on the border. When the national anthem is sung or the flag is raised, they could politely sit but they have to be very disrespectful -- making it very clear they are only here for what they can take from this country but otherwise despise it.

In Mexico it's so bad they have had to start a women's only bus -- the Mexican women were tired of being mauled, groped and sexually assaulted. Maybe it's time for that kind of thing here.

Pestered Mexican women find safety on the buses - Americas, World - Independent.co.uk
I wouldn't get on one of those dirty Mexican buses if it was the only means of transporation. I'd rather walk.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM

In that article it mentions how Mexican women were doing the same as you are now doing -- wearing dowdy clothes to avoid being assaulted.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I wouldn't get on one of those dirty Mexican buses if it was the only means of transporation. I'd rather walk.
You really wouldn't? I traveled all over Mexico on buses and trains. I actually liked them -- but things were probably better then -- it wasn't very long ago either. Only the metro was kind of bad -- pickpockets more than anything.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
You really wouldn't? I traveled all over Mexico on buses and trains. I actually liked them -- but things were probably better then -- it wasn't very long ago either. Only the metro was kind of bad -- pickpockets more than anything.
Not those dirty transit buses! However, I did take a TOUR bus down to Mexico City and Guanajuato.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Not those dirty transit buses! However, I did take a TOUR bus down to Mexico City and Guanajuato.
The transit buses are more interesting. You see a part of Mexico that tourists often don't see. Some good, some bad. I also traveled on the travel buses -- through the mountains and all over the place -- another good way to see the country. Even the buses where they come on with chickens and the seats are almost all broken. And where the federales come on board with machine guns and go through everyone's bags.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
But most people aren't. To me you have to find the model that fits human nature -- or it will come undone.

Look at the Soviet Union where they tried to force together different countries, cultures, peoples. It took a strong-armed government and it fell apart after 45 years.

Look at all the big empires. They require too much military might against the people and they don't last.

Good fences make for good neighbors -- it's when each side respects their borders and their neighbors' right to exist as they like.

Trying to force all people into one harmonious culture, language, world-without-borders is not a very happy thought because it would require force. In a merged nation -- whose language and culture dominates? A one-sized-fits-all government --- but will it be in Mexico DF or Washington DC?

I'm a countryist. Let the Canadians be Canadians, the Americans be Americans, and the Mexicans be Mexicans.
Imho the problem is just that, using force to build that culture, that way will never work, it would have to happen naturally, and that is starting to happen slowly, new underground global cultures are being born as you and I have this conversation, they are still very small and that's why you haven't spotted or heard about them, but they exist and imho they are the seed of what's coming in some years.

We live in a dual world, where opposing forces exist, those of good those of evil, we all know that, but what are we doing to improve the situation? some people just want to leave a happy life, but what if what you hold dear is vanishing? this seems to be the case with all the people concerned with illegal immigration.

But could it be that negative energy will be the way to solve it? isn't there a better solution? I'm no one to decide or say that, but we can come to the forum and talk about it!
सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः। सर्वे सन्तु निरामयाः।
सर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु। मा कश्चित् दुःख भाग्भवेत्॥

Om, May all be happy. May all be healthy. May we all experience what is good and let no one suffer. Om, Peace, Peace, Peace!

नमस्ते - Namaste

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Living near the border, my opinions on illegal immigration are negative. I have had students say they were illegal and refuse to stand up in class for the pledge of allegiance. His reason for not standing was that he was told by his parents that he didn't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance because he was Mexican. I also had another student say that he never wants to become an American. I have had students give me reasons for their misbehavior that I was white and didn't speak Spanish. My principal commended the students for this comment. These children get their viewpoints from their parents. Kids just don't come up with things on their own.

Another motivation is quality of life. If you go into a public restroom here, it is so disgusting that you just try to wait until you get home to use the bathroom. I have seen things I have never seen when I was living in an area where there were few illegals such as used toilet paper on the floor. I mean the toilet is right there, why throw it on the floor!!!
I believe you
There are a # of people who refuse to look at these alarming facts.
This is a very serious problem that needs to be solved immediately!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
One more thing - I do not want the "hispanicization" of America, which the Mexicans are trying to do by sneaking in and making our country theirs, instead of assimilating. They're doing it, and doing it illegally!

Sorry - from what I've seen, I don't like their culture. At least the one they are bringing here. Maybe it's different in Mexico, but they come here with attitude with their hands out for goodies, and then, they demand more. I don't like that kind of "culture".

To me, that's ignorant and disgusting, and they have no pride in themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration