U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM
 
853 posts, read 815,504 times
Reputation: 1263

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. There's lines you didn't read between.

It isn't just that they wanted to purchase an iPhone. If they'd wanted to buy one, they could strut into any store that sells them and pay full whack for an unlocked iPhone with no service. $649, please. Sold.

That isn't what they were doing.

They were at a Verizon store, trying to buy and activate a subsidized iPhone with a 2-year contract on Verizon's wireless network. That requires a credit check, for which you must supply a social security number.

Swing and a miss.

I also am conversant enough in Spanish to be able to understand the conversation they were having in front of the gringo, non-Spanish-speaking salesman...during which they both said that they did not have a social security number, only an ITIN, and were asking each other for ideas on how to get around not having an SSN. One of them mentioned a relative who had 'papeles' and, presumably, a social security number, and pondered the possibility of that relative signing the contract instead. That screams "illegal" to me.

So...yeah. You weren't there.
It sounds like you could have overhead my conversation in Spanish with the ATT Rep a few months ago. I wanted the new iPhone, but they wanted my SSN number to run my credit. I refused, not because I don't have a SSN, but rather because I didn't want my to give out my SSN in a crowded store where anyone can walk by and have a peak at your SSN. I would have loved it if you had called ICE on me, because while sadly ICE wouldn't have been able to fine you for wasting their time, they would have at least gotten more evidence to not waste their time on tips from NOSY busy bodies like you.

Seriously, ICE should be focusing its limited resources on capturing and deporting illegals that pose a danger to our community rather than following every tip NOSY busy bodies send in about people speaking in a different language.

Last edited by Astorian31; 04-11-2013 at 12:12 AM..

 
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM
 
31,895 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It sounds like you could have overhead my conversation in Spanish with the ATT Rep a few months ago. I wanted the new iPhone, but they wanted my SSN number to run my credit. I refused, not because I don't have a SSN, but rather because I didn't want my to give out my SSN in a crowded store where anyone can walk by and have a peak at your SSN. I would have loved it if you had called ICE on me, because while sadly ICE wouldn't have been able to fine you for wasting their time, they would have at least gotten more evidence to not waste their time on tips from NOSY busy bodies like you.

Seriously, ICE should be focusing its limited resources on capturing and deporting illegals that pose a danger to our community rather than following every tip NOSY busy bodies send in about people speaking in a different language.
Just curious why you would be having that conversation with the rep in Spanish when your English seems to be just fine. Anyway, the people in question said they didn't have a SS number that isn't the same as not wanting to provide one.

Our immigration laws don't pick and choose what illegal immigrants to detain and deport. Just because they haven't committed any serious crimes or not convicted of them yet should not give them a pass on the enforcement of our immigration laws. Working jobs they have no right to and tapping into our tax coffers does do harm to American citizens. So yes, that is a threat to the livelyhood of Americans.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Reputation: 26702
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
If you don't have a social security number you have to pay a deposit. So I'm not really seeing your point about the identity theft?
I don't work for Verizon and I don't know their policies inside and out, but during the conversation I witnessed paying a deposit in lieu of providing an SSN was not mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It sounds like you could have overhead my conversation in Spanish with the ATT Rep a few months ago. I wanted the new iPhone, but they wanted my SSN number to run my credit. I refused, not because I don't have a SSN, but rather because I didn't want my to give out my SSN in a crowded store where anyone can walk by and have a peak at your SSN. I would have loved it if you had called ICE on me, because while sadly ICE wouldn't have been able to fine you for wasting their time, they would have at least gotten more evidence to not waste their time on tips from NOSY busy bodies like you.

Seriously, ICE should be focusing its limited resources on capturing and deporting illegals that pose a danger to our community rather than following every tip NOSY busy bodies send in about people speaking in a different language.
A.) You should speak English. Speaking Spanish in public when both of you speak English fluently is rude and obnoxious. I say this as someone who is fluent in several languages and proficient in a few others.
B.) This store wasn't crowded. The only other people in the store besides the illegals and the salesman were the illegals' tween son and myself. Neither of us were sitting anywhere near close enough to the salesman's computer to read the monitor...and in any case, the screen wasn't facing us.

You weren't there.

Get over it.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't work for Verizon and I don't know their policies inside and out, but during the conversation I witnessed paying a deposit in lieu of providing an SSN was not mentioned.



A.) You should speak English. Speaking Spanish in public when both of you speak English fluently is rude and obnoxious. I say this as someone who is fluent in several languages and proficient in a few others.
B.) This store wasn't crowded. The only other people in the store besides the illegals and the salesman were the illegals' tween son and myself. Neither of us were sitting anywhere near close enough to the salesman's computer to read the monitor...and in any case, the screen wasn't facing us.

You weren't there.

Get over it.
Agreed.

What many people don't get is speaking Spanish in 2103 WILL have people looking at you real bad. I ain't talking about tourists but people who live in the US.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
 
853 posts, read 815,504 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just curious why you would be having that conversation with the rep in Spanish when your English seems to be just fine. Anyway, the people in question said they didn't have a SS number that isn't the same as not wanting to provide one.

Our immigration laws don't pick and choose what illegal immigrants to detain and deport. Just because they haven't committed any serious crimes or not convicted of them yet should not give them a pass on the enforcement of our immigration laws. Working jobs they have no right to and tapping into our tax coffers does do harm to American citizens. So yes, that is a threat to the livelyhood of Americans.
I was having a conversation in Spanish because I wanted to. I was born and raised here, but I'm also well aware of my roots and where I come from. Besides, is there a law against speaking in Spanish? Last I checked, everybody is entitled to freedom of speech and freedom of expression in this country.

We have limited resources and funding for ICE, they should focus all their energy into deporting the more dangerous criminals first. In a perfect world, we would have the resources to follow the tip every nosy busy sends in. Sadly the world isn't perfect. If taxation is your main gripe with illegals, then you should be fine with the illegals who pay taxes. Did you know illegal immigrants payed 11.2 billion dollars in taxes in 2011, while GE, a very profitable, multibillion dollar corporation payed ZERO taxes that same year. Where's your outrage at that, as far as taxes goes, corporations like GE are a bigger threat to our "livelyhood." If jobs are your main issue with illegals, then your problem should be with other Americans and employers, because a lot of the jobs illegals take are jobs American citizens wouldn't touch with a ten foot poll. Did you know despite a high unemployment rate in the state, many Californian farms are facing a shortage of workers this year? You know why? Because ever since they started cracking down more on illegal farm workers, there aren't enough people willing to work from morning to dusk in the hot sun for minimum wage. You should be angry at your fellow Americans who would rather be unemployed than "demean" themselves by taking the jobs many illegals currently occupy. You should be angry at American employers who instead of paying an American worker more, would rather pay close to nothing under the table to an illegal. And you should be angry at yourself for buying cheap fruit from California and supporting this practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't work for Verizon and I don't know their policies inside and out, but during the conversation I witnessed paying a deposit in lieu of providing an SSN was not mentioned.



A.) You should speak English. Speaking Spanish in public when both of you speak English fluently is rude and obnoxious. I say this as someone who is fluent in several languages and proficient in a few others.
B.) This store wasn't crowded. The only other people in the store besides the illegals and the salesman were the illegals' tween son and myself. Neither of us were sitting anywhere near close enough to the salesman's computer to read the monitor...and in any case, the screen wasn't facing us.

You weren't there.

Get over it.
A.) You're the obnoxious one. I can speak whatever language I damn please wherever I want. What gives you the right to tell me what I should or should not do?
B.) Given your attitude to other languages, I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of spanish or any language besides english. What you probably saw is some hispanic people talking with a salesman in spanish, and you immediately assumed they were illegal. I'm glad obnoxious people like you are rare up North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

What many people don't get is speaking Spanish in 2103 WILL have people looking at you real bad. I ain't talking about tourists but people who live in the US.
Wow. Every time I read comments like this, it pains me to think about how badly our education system has failed some of you. Only in the US does there exist this deluded sense of monolingualism. Every other developed country in the world promotes you to speak as many languages as you can possibly want. Thankfully, this delusion is slowly eroding across our major cities.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Reputation: 26702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

A.) You're the obnoxious one. I can speak whatever language I damn please wherever I want. What gives you the right to tell me what I should or should not do?
B.) Given your attitude to other languages, I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of spanish or any language besides english. What you probably saw is some hispanic people talking with a salesman in spanish, and you immediately assumed they were illegal. I'm glad obnoxious people like you are rare up North.
From an etiquette standpoint, what you did was rude. I was born and raised in Texas and minored in Spanish in college. I can communicate in Spanish quite effectively and I understand it very well. I know what was said and I know what I saw. You weren't there.

Also, since I'm from Texas, I'm used to seeing Hispanic people. I don't immediately assume they're illegal because they're usually not. Down here people can usually tell the difference.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
 
853 posts, read 815,504 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
From an etiquette standpoint, what you did was rude. I was born and raised in Texas and minored in Spanish in college. I can communicate in Spanish quite effectively and I understand it very well. I know what was said and I know what I saw. You weren't there.

Also, since I'm from Texas, I'm used to seeing Hispanic people. I don't immediately assume they're illegal because they're usually not. Down here people can usually tell the difference.
A minor is spanish is hardly evidence of your ability to speak spanish. I, myself, have no degree in Spanish. I was in East Harlem shopping at the new Target there. In case you aren't aware, East Harlem is mostly hispanic. There's nothing rude with what I was doing, and there's nothing rude with speaking spanish is public. It's only rude when you're in the personal company of someone who doesn't speak the language, being in public with strangers doesn't count.

I shudder at what you mean by that.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It sounds like you could have overhead my conversation in Spanish with the ATT Rep a few months ago. I wanted the new iPhone, but they wanted my SSN number to run my credit. I refused, not because I don't have a SSN, but rather because I didn't want my to give out my SSN in a crowded store where anyone can walk by and have a peak at your SSN. I would have loved it if you had called ICE on me, because while sadly ICE wouldn't have been able to fine you for wasting their time, they would have at least gotten more evidence to not waste their time on tips from NOSY busy bodies like you.

Seriously, ICE should be focusing its limited resources on capturing and deporting illegals that pose a danger to our community rather than following every tip NOSY busy bodies send in about people speaking in a different language.
All illegals pose a danger, its sad they stick in places where legal hispanics reside & use them for cover.

Maybe if legal hispanics stood up for this country and not a accommodate them it would help.

Language is a problem when its disrespectful to Americans in their own country.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
A minor is spanish is hardly evidence of your ability to speak spanish. I, myself, have no degree in Spanish. I was in East Harlem shopping at the new Target there. In case you aren't aware, East Harlem is mostly hispanic. There's nothing rude with what I was doing, and there's nothing rude with speaking spanish is public. It's only rude when you're in the personal company of someone who doesn't speak the language, being in public with strangers doesn't count.

I shudder at what you mean by that.
I am sure there are many illegals in East Harlem.

Speaking Spanish is nothing more than a cover for them. I find it disrespectful to speak Spanish out in Public when you are a citizen here. It shows your taste for this country.
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

A.) You're the obnoxious one. I can speak whatever language I damn please wherever I want. What gives you the right to tell me what I should or should not do?
B.) Given your attitude to other languages, I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of spanish or any language besides english. What you probably saw is some hispanic people talking with a salesman in spanish, and you immediately assumed they were illegal. I'm glad obnoxious people like you are rare up North.
Sure you can just like you can fart & burp wherever & whenever you please. At times it can be disrespectful & at times it can be respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top