U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM

852 posts, read 809,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I am sure there are many illegals in East Harlem.

Speaking Spanish is nothing more than a cover for them. I find it disrespectful to speak Spanish out in Public when you are a citizen here. It shows your taste for this country.
Actually, there not. Most are hispanics in East Harlem are Puerto Rican who all here legally.

The US has no official language. English is simply the main language, and the language the world does business with. Part of what makes this country so great is it's diversity and freedom. It's why people immigrate to this country. First generation immigrants from a non-english speaking countries almost always never learn English well, but future generations grow up speaking English. There's nothing wrong with me, or any of my fellow second generation immigrants retaining part our culture, part of our heritage. Your ballant racism appalls me .

Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
All illegals pose a danger, its sad they stick in places where legal hispanics reside & use them for cover.

Maybe if legal hispanics stood up for this country and not a accommodate them it would help.

Language is a problem when its disrespectful to Americans in their own country.
Your racism and attitude is disrespectful to me and to all Hispanic Americans, and it's disrespectful to founding principles of this country. But as a fellow American, I support your right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression to spout whatever nonsense you want.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

The US has no official language. English is simply the main language, and the language the world does business with. Part of what makes this country so great is it's diversity and freedom. It's why people immigrate to this country. First generation immigrants from a non-english speaking countries almost always never learn English well, but future generations grow up speaking English. There's nothing wrong with me, or any of my fellow second generation immigrants retaining part our culture, part of our heritage. Your ballant racism appalls me .

English is our heritage & culture. They voluntarily come here & refuse to learn the language. How disrespectful is that?

If I take up permanent residency in another country, I would make a big effort to learn the language.

Its also the attitude you have as many other 2nd & 3rd generation that refuse to assimilate & become culturally American. Immigrants should assimilate themselves to us, our culture & heritage. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Actually, there not. Most are hispanics in East Harlem are Puerto Rican who all here legally.
You are not correct.

There are many Dominicans, Haitians, Africans, Salvadorians, Mexicans ETC.... Many are illegally here.

How did most of them come here?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
A minor is spanish is hardly evidence of your ability to speak spanish. I, myself, have no degree in Spanish. I was in East Harlem shopping at the new Target there. In case you aren't aware, East Harlem is mostly hispanic. There's nothing rude with what I was doing, and there's nothing rude with speaking spanish is public. It's only rude when you're in the personal company of someone who doesn't speak the language, being in public with strangers doesn't count.

I shudder at what you mean by that.

I don't care. You weren't there, you don't know me, and you do not know what my level of proficiency is in Spanish.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Your racism and attitude is disrespectful to me and to all Hispanic Americans, and it's disrespectful to founding principles of this country. But as a fellow American, I support your right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression to spout whatever nonsense you want.
What did I say that was racist?

Please quote me.

Since when were illegals Americans?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
English is our heritage & culture. They voluntarily come here & refuse to learn the language. How disrespectful is that?

If I take up permanent residency in another country, I would make a big effort to learn the language.

Its also the attitude you have as many other 2nd & 3rd generation that refuse to assimilate & become culturally American. Immigrants should assimilate themselves to us, our culture & heritage. Not the other way around.
The fact that people speak Spanish in public does not mean they cannot speak English. But if there is one thing I do agree with is that many 1st generation immigrants should make a stronger effort to learn English. However, since many people speak Spanish, it's easy for many 1st generations immigrants to never need to learn the language.

If you went to another country where English was not the main language, but a big portion of the population could speak it, you would not make as big an effort to learn the language. There are many Americans living in Hong Kong who do not know Chinese and have no desire to do so.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. There is no one American culture. Is the culture of an 4th generation Italian american the same as the culture of an African American descendent of slaves? Is the culture of the South the same as the North, or the West? No it is not. The list goes on. America does not have one culture and one heritage, it has hundreds. Thats not say there's nothing that doesn't unite our cultures. We all have a love for this country, and the opportunities and freedoms this country has given us. English may have not been part of my family's culture, but beginning with me, it is. I'll always consider myself an American first, and a Hispanic second, but that doesn't meet I'm going to forget where I come from.

Quote:
You are not correct.

There are many Dominicans, Haitians, Africans, Salvadorians, Mexicans ETC.... Many are illegally here.

How did most of them come here?
Wow, you know nothing about East Harlem or immigrants for that matter.

Most of East Harlem is Puerto Rican, and therefore most of East Harlem is here legally.

Most Dominicans in this country are here legally as well, because it's fairy simple for them to get visas to travel here legally.

Most Salvadorians are here legally because the US offered them asylum similar to Cubans..

Africans came here in chains by boat a long time ago, I shouldn't have to explain that.

There are illegals in East Harlem, but much of East Harlem is here legally. Nice try, though.

Last edited by Astorian31; 04-11-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
What did I say that was racist?

Please quote me.

Since when were illegals Americans?
I said your attitude is racist. The fact that you think I'm not allowed to speak spanish in public, or to remember my roots is racist. Especially since I bet you wouldn't have a problem with me if I were an Irish American celebrating St. Patricks day.

Actually, most illegals are technically Americans since most come from the Americas. Semantics aside, no I don't believe illegals are "Americans," but that doesn't mean I don't recognize a lot of the problems with the immigration system in this country, or that many unemployed Americans consider themselves above certain jobs, or the dirty practices of many American employers.

Just because illegals aren't Americans doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated with respect, and thats where you and I, and the rest of the members on this board, differ. You all turn a blind eye to the problems we have and blame in all on the illegals. I don't know whether it's because of ignorance or racism, and I'm not sure which one is worse.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
I was having a conversation in Spanish because I wanted to. I was born and raised here, but I'm also well aware of my roots and where I come from. Besides, is there a law against speaking in Spanish? Last I checked, everybody is entitled to freedom of speech and freedom of expression in this country.

We have limited resources and funding for ICE, they should focus all their energy into deporting the more dangerous criminals first. In a perfect world, we would have the resources to follow the tip every nosy busy sends in. Sadly the world isn't perfect. If taxation is your main gripe with illegals, then you should be fine with the illegals who pay taxes. Did you know illegal immigrants payed 11.2 billion dollars in taxes in 2011, while GE, a very profitable, multibillion dollar corporation payed ZERO taxes that same year. Where's your outrage at that, as far as taxes goes, corporations like GE are a bigger threat to our "livelyhood." If jobs are your main issue with illegals, then your problem should be with other Americans and employers, because a lot of the jobs illegals take are jobs American citizens wouldn't touch with a ten foot poll. Did you know despite a high unemployment rate in the state, many Californian farms are facing a shortage of workers this year? You know why? Because ever since they started cracking down more on illegal farm workers, there aren't enough people willing to work from morning to dusk in the hot sun for minimum wage. You should be angry at your fellow Americans who would rather be unemployed than "demean" themselves by taking the jobs many illegals currently occupy. You should be angry at American employers who instead of paying an American worker more, would rather pay close to nothing under the table to an illegal. And you should be angry at yourself for buying cheap fruit from California and supporting this practice.

A.) You're the obnoxious one. I can speak whatever language I damn please wherever I want. What gives you the right to tell me what I should or should not do?
B.) Given your attitude to other languages, I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of spanish or any language besides english. What you probably saw is some hispanic people talking with a salesman in spanish, and you immediately assumed they were illegal. I'm glad obnoxious people like you are rare up North.

Wow. Every time I read comments like this, it pains me to think about how badly our education system has failed some of you. Only in the US does there exist this deluded sense of monolingualism. Every other developed country in the world promotes you to speak as many languages as you can possibly want. Thankfully, this delusion is slowly eroding across our major cities.
You were born here but still prefer speaking Spanish? Yet we are told how well Spanish speakers are assimilating into our society. It isn't about forbidding someone from speaking another language but it is about assimilating to our language out in mainstream. I couldn't care less what language ones chooses to speak at home.

It is just a cop out that we don't have the funds to deport every illegal alien who is caught. Yet there is legislation pending to allow millions of them to remain here aka amnesty? Who is going to cover the costs of makng sure they pay back taxes, learn English and all the necessary paperwork to make that happen? In regards to any taxes illegal immigrants may pay into our coffers it doesn't cover their social costs. I have many stats saved that prove that. I'll post them if you like.

Oh, the old two wrongs make a right with your off topic remarks about big corporations. FYI, I am no a hypocrite. I want all freeloaders held accountable and illegal immigrants need to be removed from our country because they are also a burden to our country.

Oh geez, here we go with the old crop picking argument again. Only 3-4% of illegals are picking crops and even for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign farmworkers. What do you think the other
96-97% of illegals are doing? They are doing jobs Americans have always done for a fair wage until the influx of millions of illegals came along to reduce wages. They are also using fake or stolen documents which is a felony. Do you know how devastating it can be for a citizen if someone else is using their SS number? I find it ironic that you are complaining about big business when they are the ones who are benefitting from hiring this cheap, illegal labor making themselves richer while passing their social costs unto us. Why don't you want their illegal slaves removed from this country so they can't reap all this profit illegally?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Racism? What race? It is racist to expect once and immigrant learns English or someone who was born here to speak the language of our nation? Really?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
The fact that people speak Spanish in public does not mean they cannot speak English. But if there is one thing I do agree with is that many 1st generation immigrants should make a stronger effort to learn English. However, since many people speak Spanish, it's easy for many 1st generations immigrants to never need to learn the language.

If you went to another country where English was not the main language, but a big portion of the population could speak it, you would not make as big an effort to learn the language. There are many Americans living in Hong Kong who do not know Chinese and have no desire to do so.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. There is no one American culture. Is the culture of an 4th generation Italian american the same as the culture of an African American descendent of slaves? Is the culture of the South the same as the North, or the West? No it is not. The list goes on. America does not have one culture and one heritage, it has hundreds. Thats not say there's nothing that doesn't unite our cultures. We all have a love for this country, and the opportunities and freedoms this country has given us. English may have not been part of my family's culture, but beginning with me, it is. I'll always consider myself an American first, and a Hispanic second, but that doesn't meet I'm going to forget where I come from.

Wow, you know nothing about East Harlem or immigrants for that matter.

Most of East Harlem is Puerto Rican, and therefore most of East Harlem is here legally.

Most Dominicans in this country are here legally as well, because it's fairy simple for them to get visas to travel here legally.

Most Salvadorians are here legally because the US offered them asylum similar to Cubans..

Africans came here in chains by boat a long time ago, I shouldn't have to explain that.

There are illegals in East Harlem, but much of East Harlem is here legally. Nice try, though.
Sorry, but we do have one mainstream culture and one mainstream language. Ever heard of the melting pot? "Out of many, ONE".

Who is asking anyone to forget where they came from but there is a time and place for everything. I couldn't care less what language or culture someone chooses to practice at home. You came from here anyway not elseswhere.....you were born here by your own admittance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration