U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Reputation: 3944

Advertisements

Maryland recently just again approved drivers license for illegal aliens. And this goes beyond states like North Carolina which are proposing license for the illegals who were granted a stay by Obama. This law in Maryland refers to ALL illegal aliens. So there will be a two tiered license system, one that will say "not for federal purposes". This license basically is a giveaway to someone's illegality.

Now I wonder about 3 things and no liberal Democrat has been able to address this. Think of these cases

1. When an illegal alien goes to the MVA to get their illegal alien license, the state employees there will KNOW they are illegal since the illegal will have to admit to being illegal in order to get this tier two license that is "not for federal purposes". So is it illegal for the MVA workers to report an illegal who admits their illegality to them to get a license?

2. When a police officer pulls an illegal over for speeding, he/she will know that this person is illegal upon sseeing their license. Will police not be able to do anything KNOWING for a FACT that someone is illegal? I mean their reasoning for the new licenses is that illegals will be driving anyway and now they will have to be licensed and won't escape from the cops in an accident. Will their status will still be revealed won't it? And if an illegal disregards the law in coming here what makes y'all think they will be obey any other laws?

3. And what about a private citizen, like a liquor store owner or bartender who cards someone and discovers their illegality? Will it be illegal to report a crime now? Cause I'm afraid the liberal state government will try to protect the illegals. I think a bartender in this situation should keep giving the illegal drinks to keep them at the bar and call ICE, and keep them at the bar, including getting them drunk if they have to, until ICE arrives. Then they will really have some "ICE" cold beer!!!!!!

 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
I don't know, but I dropped a dime on a family I saw at the Verizon store. The dad barely spoke English, the mom spoke no English, and they left the store disappointed that they couldn't get a new iPhone because neither one of them had a social security number. I heard them conversing with each other in Spanish and they said out loud that they did not have them, only ITINs. (Heh....if they want that iPhone bad enough they'll probably just steal someone else's SSN and come back tomorrow.)

Illegal!

I noted down the license number of their car and reported what I'd seen to ICE. I know they won't do anything, but at least I can sleep more soundly at night knowing that I did the right thing. Sadly the ICE tip form doesn't even have a checkbox for 'suspected illegal immigrant'.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know, but I dropped a dime on a family I saw at the Verizon store. The dad barely spoke English, the mom spoke no English, and they left the store disappointed that they couldn't get a new iPhone because neither one of them had a social security number. I heard them conversing with each other in Spanish and they said out loud that they did not have them, only ITINs. (Heh....if they want that iPhone bad enough they'll probably just steal someone else's SSN and come back tomorrow.)

Illegal!

I noted down the license number of their car and reported what I'd seen to ICE. I know they won't do anything, but at least I can sleep more soundly at night knowing that I did the right thing. Sadly the ICE tip form doesn't even have a checkbox for 'suspected illegal immigrant'.
You made some important assumptions, on flimsy "evidence." What a busy body. Someone doesn't speak English in your presence so they're "illegal." Tisk, tisk. As for an iPhone purchase ... I wasn't asked to produce a Social Security Number. My recollection is asking for such is against the law, not to mention unnecessary at Apple/telephone company.

I am, however, opposed to states issuing drivers licenses to persons who are in the country illegally. Be they from Mexico, or Ireland.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You made some important assumptions, on flimsy "evidence." What a busy body. Someone doesn't speak English in your presence so they're "illegal." Tisk, tisk. As for an iPhone purchase ... I wasn't asked to produce a Social Security Number. My recollection is asking for such is against the law, not to mention unnecessary at Apple/telephone company.

I am, however, opposed to states issuing drivers licenses to persons who are in the country illegally. Be they from Mexico, or Ireland.
Sorry, but you're wrong. There's lines you didn't read between.

It isn't just that they wanted to purchase an iPhone. If they'd wanted to buy one, they could strut into any store that sells them and pay full whack for an unlocked iPhone with no service. $649, please. Sold.

That isn't what they were doing.

They were at a Verizon store, trying to buy and activate a subsidized iPhone with a 2-year contract on Verizon's wireless network. That requires a credit check, for which you must supply a social security number.

Swing and a miss.

I also am conversant enough in Spanish to be able to understand the conversation they were having in front of the gringo, non-Spanish-speaking salesman...during which they both said that they did not have a social security number, only an ITIN, and were asking each other for ideas on how to get around not having an SSN. One of them mentioned a relative who had 'papeles' and, presumably, a social security number, and pondered the possibility of that relative signing the contract instead. That screams "illegal" to me.

So...yeah. You weren't there.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You made some important assumptions, on flimsy "evidence." What a busy body. Someone doesn't speak English in your presence so they're "illegal." Tisk, tisk. As for an iPhone purchase ... I wasn't asked to produce a Social Security Number. My recollection is asking for such is against the law, not to mention unnecessary at Apple/telephone company.

I am, however, opposed to states issuing drivers licenses to persons who are in the country illegally. Be they from Mexico, or Ireland.
Not all cases if someone can't speak English they are illegal such as tourist, but someone claiming citizenship status I was raise an eyebrow.

More so many illegals don't speak English and refuse to learn it, let alone little interaction with English speaking Americans. They hide in areas that are predominantly Hispanic, and use legal hispanics as their shield.

Also that was BigDGeek assumption & knowledge of his area.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Not all cases if someone can't speak English they are illegal such as tourist, but someone claiming citizenship status I was raise an eyebrow.

More so many illegals don't speak English and refuse to learn it, let alone little interaction with English speaking Americans. They hide in areas that are predominantly Hispanic, and use legal hispanics as their shield.

Also that was BigDGeek assumption & knowledge of his area.
About a mile or two south of that Verizon store is an area of Dallas housing a lot of illegal immigrants. The businesses along the main road there cater almost exclusively to a Spanish-speaking population, too. There are a lot of the types of businesses that you expect to see with a large illegal cohort, i.e. check cashing, title loans, pawn shops, places to send money orders, cell phone shops flogging calling plans to Mexico and Central America, buy here/pay here small auto dealerships, etc.

*taps side of head* I know what's going on.

P.S. I'm a she, not a he.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
About a mile or two south of that Verizon store is an area of Dallas housing a lot of illegal immigrants. The businesses along the main road there cater almost exclusively to a Spanish-speaking population, too. There are a lot of the types of businesses that you expect to see with a large illegal cohort, i.e. check cashing, title loans, pawn shops, places to send money orders, cell phone shops flogging calling plans to Mexico and Central America, buy here/pay here small auto dealerships, etc.

*taps side of head* I know what's going on .


I am quite sure you do. Any resident in their city can usually spot a tourist or a suspect illegal.


Quote:
P.S. I'm a she, not a he
Sorry.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Reputation: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know, but I dropped a dime on a family I saw at the Verizon store. The dad barely spoke English, the mom spoke no English, and they left the store disappointed that they couldn't get a new iPhone because neither one of them had a social security number. I heard them conversing with each other in Spanish and they said out loud that they did not have them, only ITINs. (Heh....if they want that iPhone bad enough they'll probably just steal someone else's SSN and come back tomorrow.)

Illegal!

I noted down the license number of their car and reported what I'd seen to ICE. I know they won't do anything, but at least I can sleep more soundly at night knowing that I did the right thing. Sadly the ICE tip form doesn't even have a checkbox for 'suspected illegal immigrant'.
How did ICE respond to your call? I want to calll the ICE office here in Baltimore and ask them about the bar situation. Honestly I live 5 minutes from my friends bar if Im free one night I'll go there and buy drinks for the illegal to keep him there if ICE or the police will respond and arrest them.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Reputation: 3944
I thought you can just report SUSPECTED illegal aliens. How much evidence do you really need that someone is illegal in order for ICE to take you seriously?

In Maryland now if an illegal alien uses the new illegal alien drivers license.....everyone who sees the licenses will know for a FACT that the person is illegal.
 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
How did ICE respond to your call? I want to calll the ICE office here in Baltimore and ask them about the bar situation. Honestly I live 5 minutes from my friends bar if Im free one night I'll go there and buy drinks for the illegal to keep him there if ICE or the police will respond and arrest them.
I used the online form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top