U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM

6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times

Advertisements

So the new amnesty program will also include something where its easier for an employer to hire guest workers (who may well become illegal aliens in the future) if they've proven they tried to hire American citziens first and can't fill those spots. Now I wonder how thats judged and what constitutes "trying" to hire Americans cause I think its pretty easy to get around that. The thing is I actually have two friends who came to America on a seasonal, temporary work visa. They were very good people who followed alll the rules here and when they had to go to the hospital they actually paid their full bill unlike illegal Mexicans and Salvaodreans who live here and just claim to not have money. They have also returned home to their country after their visa was up since it was a seasonal one. But the problem I have is not with those two individuals but with how the company that hired them was able to get around it cause I know for a FACT this company only made a SHOW of trying to hire Americans.

This company is called Southern Management which owns and operates several rental communities in Maryland and Virginia including my community near Baltimore. A few summers ago when I was in college I saw one of their fliers posted on my campus, and posted in local shopping malls about summer lifeguarding jobs at their pools in these neighborhoods. It advertised free training and $9 an hour. It sounded good....I thought I can work all summer and be a certified lifeguard and I can still work on my college campus when I returned there after the summer while other people had to pay for a Red Cross class held at the university. I called the number on the flyer and was told they had already filled all the jobs.

Now a few years later I live in a community owned by Southern Management company and there are fliers in the newsletters saying "walk to your summer job from home" and there are still fliers at local community colleges and shopping centers. All of the lifeguards at my pool were from outside the country and the same was true for others. Once I was having a conversation with one of the people in the resident services office and mentioned it was "cool" seeing these international kids and I was told that the company recruits their entire aqatics staff from Europe for the summertime.

Now even today to get these visas the company has to prove they tried hiring Americans first. I know other people who called the number on the fliers and was always told the positions were all filled. All this feels very fishy to me, like they put these ads about and pretended to have tried to hire locally. I do NOT believe they were not able to hire local college kids to lifeguard like the YMCA, the college campuses, the country clubs, other apartment complexes, hotels (we have nanny state local laws requiring a lifeguard at the 5 foot Days Inn pool go figure). We actually do not have many illegals here and teens/college kids have no trouble working at Taco Bell and Walmart so I do NOT believe they were simply unable to find 5 lifeguards for a pool. Plus

I think they did this exchange program (which I'm not against I just wish there was honesty involved) not to save money per se but to make extra money because they charge the European kids rent at a higher rate than my own rent here and it fits their scheudling better I guess. I know Southern Management hires mostly illegal Mexicans for the janitorial and landscapping stuff I can tell those people are illegals.

But my concern is it is THIS easy to PRETEND they tried to hire Americans and get the government to approve work visas for foreign citizens. If an apartment company can do this regarding their pool staff.....one can only imagines how easy it is for ranchers, farmers, chicken processors, fast food restaurants in certain areas to get around this.

I wonder how often a Mexican comes as a guest worker and just never leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or