U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM

140 posts, read 79,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Send all illegals back, and allow a guest worker program, or make illegals guest workers. If you simply raid and deport, the disruption to the economy would be rather undesireable.

I think young illegals should be given the opportunity to enlist in the military, spend the whole 6 year enlistment on active duty in return for citizenship.
I was actualling looking for an original thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

140 posts, read 79,651 times
Quote:
Field work requires expertise. Today crews often specialize in certain crops, lettuce cutters don't pick strawberries. Planters don't cut. These rules are not hard and fast, but I would like to think that you get the picture that the work is not unskilled. Bringing people who have little work ethic and poor physical conditioning can be done, would you like them working for you?
Some of the work is extremely physical and is only done by young men. Using "teenage unwed mothers on dope" simply won't work. Look, you need to apply a certain level of critical thinking here, growers are in business to make money. They make money by bringing produce at the correct maturity to market. Their profit directly depends on being as efficient as possible. At this point in time manual field work for most crops is the only way to do it. The number of manhours required to grow and harvest a vegetable crop would astound a midwestern grain farmer. In the Santa Maria Valley over 20 million manhours are expended each season. Legal labor accounts for about half the needed work force. That means that in this one small valley, about 10 million more manhours are needed. This requires growers to employ whom ever shows up. The fact that many of the workers are undocumented may not please the grower. But if the crops that are consumed by Americans are to be grown and harvested you do what you have to do.

If you own a business you realize that labor is a very large part of your overhead. If you have the ability to reduce labor, you will increase profit. The same thing works in the fields. Trust me, if farmers could reduce their intense labor needs, they would.

And they do to as great an extent as possible. Fer instance. There are no more packing sheds, all packing is done in the fields. The many packing shed workers of years ago no longer exist.

UC Davis has for many years had an ag machine development program. Growers too modify equipment. Since the unionization of the field workers increased labor costs about 1975, development of machinery has been a priority. Here we are after 30 years of intense work to develop machines that reduce the need for hand labor. Still needing millions of manhours of manual labor in the fields.

I think what happens here is that the severe anti illegal crowd knows what they would like to see, but do not understand that their goal is not practical. It is as if all these thread complained about automobiles not getting a thousand miles per gallon. Getting a thousand miles per gallon would be a good thing, but it is not likely to happen in the near future.
When I was a kid my Mom always had a garden. We could easily give tax breaks to people who grew their own crops and then sold the surplus.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Visit Fred08.com. He just announced his plan a few days ago. Basically enforce the law which would keep employers from hiring which would create self deportation. Another thing on his plan I liked was make English the official language.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 AM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Some very funny suggestions. I have a possible solution. Give all the illegals who speak fluent english aged 17-40 a chance to earn their papers by serving in the US Army or Marines for 5 years as punishment for sneaking into the country. After that give them their papers and have them get into the back of the line for citizenship. Any illegal who refuses or dosent speak fluent english or is outside the parameters of the first set of conditions should be thrown out with no chance for papers or citizenship.

As for the border, build the fence. And equip border patrol with AK-47 and any lethal weapons that exist.

As for the jobs, lock up any employer who hides or hires illegal aliens. And pass down devasting fines and sanctions for their business.

Put all of this in place, watch our illegal immigration problem evaporate.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
But, there is work, and it needs to get done to keep the economy from crashing, who do you propose do it?

Now before you answer try this, bend over touch the floor with your hands, now straighten up reach your hands out in front of you as if you were handing something to someone head high. Now bend over again touch your hands to the floor, then repeat, now do this for 10 hours, out side in the cold of the wind off the ocean or the heat of the sun inland, you get a ten minute break each hour and a 1/2 hour for lunch, now, try this for 6 days straight. Then you get one day off, then repeat. Oh, start at 6:00 AM, outside, no shade.
If I ,a small woman, can labor for 37 hours with no breaks and give birth to a 10.5 pound baby naturally with no medication, I can do field work. In fact, I have done both.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
If I ,a small woman, can labor for 37 hours with no breaks and give birth to a 10.5 pound baby naturally with no medication, I can do field work. In fact, I have done both.
wow i salute you. a hard-working american mother. the utlimate role model.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
Best estimates are that there are over 20 million illegal aliens in America. That being the case, what are our options? What would it cost to deport all of them? If it cost $1,000.00 / per deportation that still amounts to over $20 billion dollars!
What to do about the so called "anchor babies" (babies born of illegal aliens). Do we still consider them American just because they are born here, illegally? If they were to be deported along with their parents what would be the total count? 40 million? 60 million?
We have looked at a lot of different things in this forum but there has been very little discussion as to what a good solution would be.
My ideas of a solution are as such

1. finish the fence, close the boarders.
2. reform immigration and make it faster to get people wanting to work legally in the us here.
3. deport illegals as they are arrested, it is stupid to think we can round up and deport them all. But as they get arrested, you send em back home.
4. raise fines for companies hiring illegal aliens to the point of being a HUGE financial hit if caught.

I feel that illegal immigration is a form of slavery, so be it consensual slavery, but slavery all the same. They cannot grow economically here due to company's hiring them under the table, and paying extremely low wages. and the fear of being caught illegaly in our country. Lets help them Live the "American Dream" by forcing them to come into our country legally, so the companies hiring them are doing so under American law.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
1. Get rid of the magnets to illegals - free benefits and jobs

2. Deport all of them, one by one, as they are arrested for being illegal

And a hint to our government so-called "representatives": YOU ARE PAID TO DO THE WILL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, WHICH IS TO PUT A STOP TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
wow i salute you. a hard-working american mother. the utlimate role model.
You would think! But seems to me the illegals working in the field breaking laws have become the role model for some.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
1. Get rid of the magnets to illegals - free benefits and jobs

2. Deport all of them, one by one, as they are arrested for being illegal

And a hint to our government so-called "representatives": YOU ARE PAID TO DO THE WILL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, WHICH IS TO PUT A STOP TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.
Yep i agree!! but will take more than a hint, maybe a bat to the head!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration