Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,050 times

Advertisements

Or for that matter, just how many foreign-born immigrants are here? What's the percentage?
Spent 30 minutes at census site and goggling all over the place, from the news to scholarly articles, and never got a handle on it.
Percentage by state would be great.
Again, cencus bereau has it, just could'nt quite beleive the numbers.

Thanks.

Sources would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
We can only calculate the amount of Legal Hispanics living in the U.S. We may only guess on how many illegals are here.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Legal 'Hispanics': according to the US census; approximately 14% of the US population of 300 million. I am guessing ca. 42 million.

NOTE: 'Hispanic' refers to any person of Latin American/Spanish heritage; they can be of any race.

Illegal Hispanics; I keep hearing between 12-20 million are here not counting their 'anchor babies'........which may equal 35-40 million total. Just that the anchors are US citizens.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Or for that matter, just how many foreign-born immigrants are here? What's the percentage?
Spent 30 minutes at census site and goggling all over the place, from the news to scholarly articles, and never got a handle on it.
Percentage by state would be great.
Again, cencus bereau has it, just could'nt quite beleive the numbers.

Thanks.

Sources would be appreciated.
i was doing so well.
20 million illegal give or take a million or 2. the rest i dont know.
we are getting our population replenishing from immigration not birthrate.
just like france. with following twist. low emphasis on education, citizenship and assimulation. if i did not know better i would say somebody is trying to create a service sector class with work ethic. massive demographic changes blacks moving back to the south cities like LA being replenished with hispanic. in a very short few years black went 14 to 11 percent and hispanic went 12 to 14%.
this is all going somewhere not sure where.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Legal 'Hispanics': according to the US census; approximately 14% of the US population of 300 million. I am guessing ca. 42 million.

NOTE: 'Hispanic' refers to any person of Latin American/Spanish heritage; they can be of any race.

Illegal Hispanics; I keep hearing between 12-20 million are here not counting their 'anchor babies'........which may equal 35-40 million total. Just that the anchors are US citizens.
Thanks, and thanks all.
ArizonaBear, you come closest to answering my question. Seems none can nail an answer. It would be interesting to know just how many Mexican-born (specific, as they are by far the biggest block) live, legally or not, in the U.S.

Census gives a number. It's rather a big number by the way and I do not know if they guess-estimate for illegals.

thanks again.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Getting down to fact, there is no real answer to the Illegal population. Just estimations.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM

537 posts, read 441,298 times
Yes, but it is certainly far more than the piddly 12 milliuon number that people like to throw around. Always remember that they have been using the 12 million number since the year 2001 and we all know that hundreds of thousands get into this country every year illegally.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Another interesting question, and one related to this, would be---how BIG is the percentage of the foreign-born sector of the US population? I seem to remember reading that, in recent history, there was a huge peak in immigration about 100 years ago, and at that time, 1/4 of the population of New York City was of foreign birth.
This dropped off, but, as I understand it, we have now surpassed even that high level, and we now have more immigrants, by percentage, than we did then. Particularly now that we no longer push "assimilation", this could have some profound effects.

As for EARLIER times, I'm not too sure--obviously, in 1777, EVERYONE over the age of one year had been born OUTSIDE the US (!).....but in recent decades, I think we've got more immigrants now than we've ever had.

Maybe somebody could correct me, comment, or add to this?.... For example, is there a practical limit to what any nation can accept as a percentage of non-native people, without profound social effects?
If so, what is this limit, or has it ever been reached? I recall that in Kuwait, the foreign workers actually outnumber the Kuwaitis...but these aren't "immigrants" and have no hope of becoming citizens....it is understood that they are "temporary". Does any "free" society have more immigrants than we do? Any LARGE country?.......anybody know this stuff?....

Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Default good questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Another interesting question, and one related to this, would be---how BIG is the percentage of the foreign-born sector of the US population? I seem to remember reading that, in recent history, there was a huge peak in immigration about 100 years ago, and at that time, 1/4 of the population of New York City was of foreign birth.
This dropped off, but, as I understand it, we have now surpassed even that high level, and we now have more immigrants, by percentage, than we did then. Particularly now that we no longer push "assimilation", this could have some profound effects.

As for EARLIER times, I'm not too sure--obviously, in 1777, EVERYONE over the age of one year had been born OUTSIDE the US (!).....but in recent decades, I think we've got more immigrants now than we've ever had.

Maybe somebody could correct me, comment, or add to this?.... For example, is there a practical limit to what any nation can accept as a percentage of non-native people, without profound social effects?
If so, what is this limit, or has it ever been reached? I recall that in Kuwait, the foreign workers actually outnumber the Kuwaitis...but these aren't "immigrants" and have no hope of becoming citizens....it is understood that they are "temporary". Does any "free" society have more immigrants than we do? Any LARGE country?.......anybody know this stuff?....
well...according to census:

"M0501. Percent of People Who Are Foreign Born: 2006
Universe: Total population
Data Set: 2006 American Community Survey
Survey: 2006 American Community Survey, 2006 Puerto Rico Community Survey
United States by State

United States: Estimate: 12.5 Percent, Margin of Error: +/-0.1 Percent
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey"

So... census puts it foreign born percentage at 12.5% The problem is I do not trust the numbers.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM

The one thing about the census is they really don't count people as they say they do. They've never come to my house to count us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration