Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,210 times

Advertisements

Reports indicate that since Senator John McCain's "Gang of Eight" restarted their latest push for amnesty, illegal border crossing from Mexico to the U.S. have more than doubled.

It appears those entering the country illegally want to be sure they are here in case a blanket amnesty pronouncement is issued.
As a U.S. Border Patrol Agent who spoke on condition of anonymity made clear, a number of those entering the country illegally are doing so to escape jail time or persecution in their own country: "We've seen the number of illegal aliens double, maybe even triple since amnesty talks started happening. [And] a lot of these people, although not the majority, are criminals or aggravated felons."
Making matters worse, Border Patrol Agents currently face hour and pay reductions which Obama is blaming on the sequester cuts he signed into law in August 2011. This means there is less and less chance of catching illegal aliens as they cross over.

Illegal Border Crossings More than Double Since Amnesty Talks Started
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoted Source at "Townhall"
...As a U.S. Border Patrol Agent who spoke on condition of anonymity made clear, a number of those entering the country illegally are doing so to escape jail time or persecution in their own country: "We've seen the number of illegal aliens double, maybe even triple since amnesty talks started happening. [And] a lot of these people, although not the majority, are criminals or aggravated felons."...
So the source of a single anonymous Border Patrol agent saying that the number of illegal aliens crossing is double ("maybe even triple"), and they are doing it "to escape jail time" (I think the agent means to say "prosecution in their own country" when it is put in the context along with the terminology of "jail time") is viewed as entirely reliable?...

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Reports indicate that since Senator John McCain's "Gang of Eight" restarted their latest push for amnesty, illegal border crossing from Mexico to the U.S. have more than doubled.

It appears those entering the country illegally want to be sure they are here in case a blanket amnesty pronouncement is issued.
As a U.S. Border Patrol Agent who spoke on condition of anonymity made clear, a number of those entering the country illegally are doing so to escape jail time or persecution in their own country: "We've seen the number of illegal aliens double, maybe even triple since amnesty talks started happening. [And] a lot of these people, although not the majority, are criminals or aggravated felons."
Making matters worse, Border Patrol Agents currently face hour and pay reductions which Obama is blaming on the sequester cuts he signed into law in August 2011. This means there is less and less chance of catching illegal aliens as they cross over.

Illegal Border Crossings More than Double Since Amnesty Talks Started
Obviously. Yes, border crossings are way up, deaths along the border are way up also and it's not even 110 degrees yet.

Getting easy US citizenship would very clearly be a great insurance plan for almost everyone south of the border.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I can only speak about what I'm seeing on the ground here in Texas, but hell in some stores/neighborhoods you'd be forgiven for thinking you were actually in Monterrey or Guanajuato.

The non-English speaking Hispanic population here has definitely spiked recently.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Something I just don't get....As long as I could remember when it comes to immigration there has been a "quota" on how many people from each country can come in......So how in the hell is it O.K. to let 15 million illegals come in over a very short time period.
This is what's so sickening about all this....

Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Something I just don't get....As long as I could remember when it comes to immigration there has been a "quota" on how many people from each country can come in......So how in the hell is it O.K. to let 15 million illegals come in over a very short time period.
This is what's so sickening about all this....
Well in keeping with the topic at hand promising amnesty year after year is what increases illegal immigration. Add to that stopping internal enforcement except for felons also encourages more illegal immigration. It isn't rocket science to figure that out. However, I think it is by grand design by the powers that be.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Ya think!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
There's no support for the claim in right-wing extremist blogs that illegal border crossings are up that I've read. Nor have I read of any proposals for "amnesty." Such claims are more right-wing baseless suggestions. Arrests are up, however, as the result of increased security. And apprehensions during the Obama Presidency have skyrocketed in comparison to "W" Bush's term, if I'm recalling the numbers correctly.. More people have died attempting to cross the border, though, or after crossing the border in 2012 than in 2011 according to a charitable group which claims to follow these things.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There's no support for the claim in right-wing extremist blogs that illegal border crossings are up that I've read. Nor have I read of any proposals for "amnesty." Such claims are more right-wing baseless suggestions. Arrests are up, however, as the result of increased security. And apprehensions during the Obama Presidency have skyrocketed in comparison to "W" Bush's term, if I'm recalling the numbers correctly.. More people have died attempting to cross the border, though, or after crossing the border in 2012 than in 2011 according to a charitable group which claims to follow these things.
You are recalling the propaganda of claiming that the numbers have greatly increased under Obama. He's including his apprehension numbers caught at the border and counting them as deportations, no other President has ever done so. SO it's not apprehensions that are increased over "W's", it's deportations that are claimed to be higher than "W's", accept those numbers are deceptive as Obama states.
Quote:
Remarks by the President in an “Open for Questions” Roundtable, September 28, 2011
[. . .]
MR. LERNER: Just to follow up, Mr. President, you just mentioned enforcement of immigration laws in the subject of deportations, and you said that many of those — or it’s aimed at criminals. But until now, and until recently, it hadn’t been just criminals, or a majority of criminals, those that have been deported. And also, you have been deporting much more immigrants than the previous administration did in eight years. So laws didn’t change; enforcement was done even then. Why that emphasis on deportation during your administration?
THE PRESIDENT: Actually, what happened, if you look at the statistics, two things happened: Number one is, is that there was a much greater emphasis on criminals rather than non-criminals. And there’s been a huge shift in terms of enforcement, and that began as soon as I came into office. That change has taken place.
Secondly, the statistics are actually a little deceptive because what we’ve been doing is with the stronger border enforcement we’ve been apprehending folks at the borders and sending them back. That is counted as a deportation, even though they may have only been held for a day or 48 hours, sent back — that’s counted as a deportation. So we’ve been much more effective on the borders. But we have not been more aggressive when it comes to dealing, for example, with DREAM Act kids. That’s just not the case.
I could swear your comment seems to be left-wing extremest fallacy as proven by the Presidents own words against your claim.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 04-09-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
So, thank you for supporting my comments regarding the effectiveness of the Obama border security program as contrasted with "W" Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration