U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times

Advertisements

This is not democracy but threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
2 can play at this game. Any elected official who votes for amnesty will never receive my vote. Ever. For any office.

Even if both 2016 Presidential candidates, whomever they turn out to be, voted for amnesty...I would write in Mickey Mouse.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is not democracy but threats.
The AFL-CIO, why are they getting involved in the illegal immigration issue anyway? Aren't their members Americans also and obligated to honor our immigration laws and the enforcement of them just like the rest of us? I can't help but take note of AFL director's last name and these anti-American threats.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM

193 posts, read 284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
2 can play at this game. Any elected official who votes for amnesty will never receive my vote. Ever. For any office.

Even if both 2016 Presidential candidates, whomever they turn out to be, voted for amnesty...I would write in Mickey Mouse.
Fortunately I am actively trying to license Disney character names in order to form the Disney party just in time for 2016.

Mickey Mouse for President.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM

10,780 posts, read 5,079,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The AFL-CIO, why are they getting involved in the illegal immigration issue anyway? Aren't their members Americans also and obligated to honor our immigration laws and the enforcement of them just like the rest of us? I can't help but take note of AFL director's last name and these anti-American threats.
The Union leaders are in favor of an amnesty and fast path to citizenship because they want new Union Members ...... it's always about money.

As for immigration laws - the government has ignored many of them for years and now Obama is doubling down on that and issuing Executive Orders to ignore the laws. It's a major problem that citizens are just accepting this insidious ignoring of our laws. It will only get worse.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,050,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

There are usually more than 2 candidates on a presidential ballot. Why not vote for a 3rd party that more closely aligns with your views?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
There are usually more than 2 candidates on a presidential ballot. Why not vote for a 3rd party that more closely aligns with your views?
There isn't one.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,989,487 times
Quote:
I can't help but take note of AFL director's last name and these anti-American threats.

So, what is it about this American - Richard Trumka - who is the Nebraska-born son of a mother of Italian heritage and father of Polish heritage (before their parents immigrated to the USA) that you seem to be objecting to? Please share the ‘inside’ information with us.

Quote:
The AFL-CIO, why are they getting involved in the illegal immigration issue anyway? Aren't their members Americans also and obligated to honor our immigration laws and the enforcement of them just like the rest of us?

One of the things our Constitution and/or Bill of Rights allows us as rights as U.S. Citizens is the opportunity to petition our government for a change in the way we are governed - to change our laws. Doing so seems so very “American” and in line with what the founders of this great nation intended. Only an anti-American, or someone who seeks to invalidate our rights and freedoms would think otherwise, IMO.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

So, what is it about this American - Richard Trumka - who is the Nebraska-born son of a mother of Italian heritage and father of Polish heritage (before their parents immigrated to the USA) that you seem to be objecting to? Please share the ‘inside’ information with us.

One of the things our Constitution and/or Bill of Rights allows us as rights as U.S. Citizens is the opportunity to petition our government for a change in the way we are governed - to change our laws. Doing so seems so very “American” and in line with what the founders of this great nation intended. Only an anti-American, or someone who seeks to invalidate our rights and freedoms would think otherwise, IMO.
The person I was speaking of is AFL-CIO director of immigration Ana Avendaño.

The ACLU is supposed to be about protecting civil rights not pushing for legislation to amnesty millions of illegal immigrants. In fact as the caption of this article reads they are making threats against our congressmen. That is anti-American to me.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,989,487 times
Quote:
The person I was speaking of is AFL-CIO director of immigration Ana Avendaño.
So, based on the spelling of someone's last name alone ... you make some sort of insinuation which seems to me to question the person's loyalty to our country and/or her integrity? That's it? Judging someone in that manner is representative of traditional American values?

Quote:
The ACLU is supposed to be about protecting civil rights not pushing for legislation to amnesty millions of illegal immigrants. In fact as the caption of this article reads they are making threats against our congressmen. That is anti-American to me.
As for the ACLU and it's mission: ACLU History | American Civil Liberties Union

And I'll leave you with this quote from the movie, The American President:

Quote:
For the record: yes, I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU. But the more important question is why aren't you, Bob? Now, this is an organization whose sole purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights, so it naturally begs the question: Why would a senator, his party's most powerful spokesman and a candidate for President, choose to reject upholding the Constitution? If you can answer that question, folks, then you're smarter than I am, because I didn't understand it until a few hours ago. America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free".
Source: The American President (1995) - Quotes - IMDb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JAbyROUWk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or