U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM

31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
This is what I don't understand. Aren't we deporting people already? And if so, why haven't we deported all of them?
Because Obama stopped it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
This is what I don't understand. Aren't we deporting people already? And if so, why haven't we deported all of them?
Only if they are felons and only after they are caught by the police.
Otherwise they are released.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It is not just the cost, the major headaches in deportation is the logistics. The mobilization of a police force to arrest, detain, process, and deport 11 million people is enourmous.

It easy to think simple thoughts of the smooth transition of 11 million people out of the US, but fairytails should be left to child like persons.

If deportation was such a easy task...it would have been proposed, passed, and accomplished by now.

No. Your just gonna have to live in reality and understand CIR will be the law of the land? You could always take a nap and dream sweet thoughts of deprotation...but reality will still be there for ya.
If they require the list of things that has always been talked about then most won't qualify anyway. Other than that, we'll still have this underclass to do the nastiest jobs out there, just like it is like now. That's exactly what most Politicians want anyway.

The tax payers will subsidize the businesses just like we always have. Businesses get off without even a slap.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,867,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So, let me see if I've got this straight.

There are two groups who want to come and stay permanently in this country, starting right away:

1.) Illegal aliens. The only qualification needed to be in this group, is a demostrated willingness and ability to violate U.S. law by coming in and/or staying illegally.

2.) Legal visa applicants. The people in this group, respected and obeyed U.S. law, filled out all the proper forms, and have been patiently waiting inside their own country for their visas and permissions to come in.

And this so-called "Immigration reform" bill, proposes to give the first group (who violated our laws) what they want and let them stay permanently, and keep the second group (who respected and obeyed our laws) out?

Ummm... did this bill originate from the pages of The Onion?

Shouldn't we be letting in the second group, and keeping out the first?
No ... There are three. My question was not about Visa holders, it referred to those who are legal permanent residents who have been here for ten years, but did not yet go through the costly process of becoming citizens. Those green card holders must renew every ten years, at a cost of about $450.

Does anyone know what the fine will be priced at? It might be more economical to just let it expire, and become illegal.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
I have no clue why people support it. There has always been a path to citizenship. Millions of legal immigrants have taken that route including myself. That path is called obey the law.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,867,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have no clue why people support it. There has always been a path to citizenship. Millions of legal immigrants have taken that route including myself. That path is called obey the law.
Yeah ... Kinda sucks for those like you, my wife and stepson. But I guess it is what it is.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Well when you end up with 11-20 MILLION not obeying the law, what are you going to do ?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well when you end up with 11-20 MILLION not obeying the law, what are you going to do ?
Many things. Jail those who hire illegal immigrants. Make a law that says once you are here illegally, you aren't allowed to enter USA for 20 years.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,985,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Last time we did amnesty only 40% went on to become citizens. Generally people who want citizenship fall into a few categories such as people who wish to sponsor other family members to come to the USA or people who want to travel or get certain jobs that require it. Since you have to take the civics test in English many who don't need it don't bother with it. It is actually cheaper in the long run because you have to pay to renew a green card while citizenship is a one time fee. I don't know why more people don't become citizens. I know people in Chicago that have lived here for 50 years and never become citizens.
Green Card must be renewed every 10 years.

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Not to mention:

1. They will compete heavily for low end jobs. Heard the news that fast food workers want $15/hour? Those 20 million illegals think $10 is the best wage since the slice of bread.
2. All the "rich" people will have to pay their fair share to pay for more welfare.
You mean the middle class -- the elite rich benefit very nicely from the cheap labor and it's the elites that enjoy the cheap servants, the live-in nannies, yard-boys, housekeepers -- all subsidized by the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or