U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 AM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,973,557 times
Reputation: 2585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I'm coming over to sleep on your couch. After all, the boundaries of your property are an imaginary line some white guy mapped out long before I was here.

I like my eggs scrambled.

Oh, and if you lock me out, you're a hater. Which means I should find a window to sneak through and take those eggs, because I deserve them too.
Just a tiny bit of reading would've enlightened you of the fact that I'm 100% for border control. Similarly, I'm 100% for using my legal and moral rights to protect my family from unwanted and unknown intruders. Proximity matters, and I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

(aka You won't be getting any eggs)

If, however, you should move to my neighborhood (which would not affect me, just as any decent illegal immigrant living in this neighborhood would not affect me), I wouldn't demand that you leave even if I could, not until you give me reason to.

The lines most certainly are imaginary. Unfortunately for the straw man you've created, I never said they're useless. Just not something directly tied into right and wrong. Use of a firearm is real. The effects of it can be seen without the imagination, and it can be very harmful and wrong to use one. Crossing a line in and of itself doesn't harm anyone. That's why I'm only worried about people I've reason to suspect of harmful intent or at least a history of crimes that are in fact wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
YOU ARE SO WRONG!

Ask any contractor here in Cali if the illegal tradesmen haven't suppressed their wages! My wages went up just 35% in 25 years, while my costs tripled. Ask any long time (legal) gardeners if they haven't been hurt by the teams of illegals with beat up trucks (and no insurance) and a lawn mower. Why do you think black unemployment is so much higher than Hispanics? Are you daff?
You must mean daft, and no, I'm not. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that there's always someone whose anecdotal evidence contradicts it. That's not to mention that I can only take your word for it. "Ask anyone here" doesn't work for me, because I'm not there to ask anyone. But even if I were, if they gave me anecdotal evidence it would not serve to refute the anecdotal evidence surrounding me in my state. You see how that works? Until I see a correlation between a dramatic increase in illegal immigration and a significant decrease in job creation where I live, it's a wash. And of course, correlation does not show causation. I'm just trying to get you guys to the first step and we'll worry about proving cause and effect afterwards.

So far, progress to this end has been slow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Talking heads spin stories that you want to believe, so they must be true. Rather than talking to people who have been hurt by them (illegals), you choose to pronounce that you know better.
Would talking to someone who hasn't been hurt by illegal immigration change your mind? I think not.

However,

If someone's beating you in the contracting or gardening trades and you suspect they don't have a license or insurance, you can report them (whether you think they're illegals or not) and see what develops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,973,557 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL at this.

Texas has three of the 10 poorest counties in the US.
Guess where they are located ?
Guess what the demographics of those three are ?

Texas has their fair share of low rankings in various measurements.
The MSM doesn't talk much of the growing number of colonias sprouting up along the Texas border.

The strain is seen in the schools and hospitals and county clinics.
So letting them overrun a particular county is a bad idea. None of us need to be told that. When poor people of any race/ethnicity make up more than a small percentage of a county, you can expect everything to go south (no pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: South Bay
1,404 posts, read 836,571 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You must mean daft, and no, I'm not.


Would talking to someone who hasn't been hurt by illegal immigration change your mind? I think not.

However,

If someone's beating you in the contracting or gardening trades and you suspect they don't have a license or insurance, you can report them (whether you think they're illegals or not) and see what develops.
Yes, thank you for the correction.

Everyone is hurt by illegal immigration. We also need to include the crime they bring. Hispanic gangs are a growing problem, and are exceptionally brutal. There are more than 500 Sureno (Mexican Mafia) Hispanic gangs in Los Angeles alone.

Schools are stressed because they must teach in two languages. Emergency rooms are stressed because they must provide health services to anyone who walks in. Police and emergency services are stressed. Illegals are the proverbial straw.

I have an aunt who is a teacher. She is affected.
I have a cousin who is a Sheriff. He is affected.
I was a contractor. I was affected to the point of closing my doors.

You discount personal experience as if it's meaningless. You use the rationale that most people aren't affected, which is a wildly irrational (silly, foolish=daft) notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,973,557 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Everyone is hurt by illegal immigration. We also need to include the crime they bring. Hispanic gangs are a growing problem, and are exceptionally brutal. There are more than 500 Sureno (Mexican Mafia) Hispanic gangs in Los Angeles alone.
This is why I made it a point to say I would not be for giving anyone with a history of committing hurtful crimes citizenship. I don't care what you do with this group. Lock 'em up here, send them back to Mexico (where they'll probably just come back, and in a fraction of the time it would've taken for them to serve in a federal prison), whatever you think works. I don't see exoneration of gang members as being any part of the poll, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Schools are stressed because they must teach in two languages.
This is probably never to accommodate illegal immigrants specifically. More than likely, it's to accommodate U.S. citizens who never taught their children English. You can correct me if I'm wrong (and you can prove it) though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Emergency rooms are stressed because they must provide health services to anyone who walks in. Police and emergency services are stressed. Illegals are the proverbial straw.
Economy. Again, living in Texas as I do, I can't believe it's not raining while standing outside with water falling on my head from a gray cloud.

Besides, transforming illegals to legal citizens would only help this problem since they would now be contributing (to the same extent we are, that is) to the same system they're taking from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM
 
1,864 posts, read 1,972,500 times
Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Bad news for the haters.

60% of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens.

Poll: Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US
Bad news for the haters? You mean the Americans whom believe our already relaxed immigration laws should be enforced? Do you really believe these stats? What better way to persuade someone than to suggest, or should I say insist, matter of factly, that most Americans support allowing all the people who are here illegally to become citizens.

The only "so-called" Americans that would support such an idea as letting millions of illegals to obtain citizenship are probably those who have recently immigrated and became citizens, or those who have relatives and friends they want to become citizens as well. The American economy will be irreparably destroyed if all the current illegals who chose to ignore our laws are allowed to become citizens. Our economy is already bad, there are not enough jobs, and most of the jobs available do not pay a sustainable wage to survive on. Subsidies are already spread too thin, and do not provide enough to live on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: San Diego
33,002 posts, read 30,272,140 times
Reputation: 17807
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL at this.

Texas has three of the 10 poorest counties in the US.
Guess where they are located ?
Guess what the demographics of those three are ?

Texas has their fair share of low rankings in various measurements.
The MSM doesn't talk much of the growing number of colonias sprouting up along the Texas border.

The strain is seen in the schools and hospitals and county clinics.
I live in a middle to upper middle class hood and NO ONE sends their kids to the schools on our own block!! They are primarily ESL kids bused in from close to the border and the schools performance reflects it. If you have to use a local ER room, good luck. I hope you don't bleed out because they are packed from the same demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
 
28 posts, read 41,554 times
Reputation: 33
Lets have a vote NOW and see if most Americans want the illegals to stay....If they don't lets round them up and send them home..This would be letting the American citizens actually have a voice which is something the "government" will never really allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,962,798 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboatguy View Post
Lets have a vote NOW and see if most Americans want the illegals to stay....If they don't lets round them up and send them home..This would be letting the American citizens actually have a voice which is something the "government" will never really allow.
No need to round up anyone. pass a law requiring E-Verify to be completed within 120 days and illegals will lose their incomes. Income loss makes it impossible for them to stay. They will self deport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
 
8,052 posts, read 3,792,193 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No need to round up anyone. pass a law requiring E-Verify to be completed within 120 days and illegals will lose their incomes. Income loss makes it impossible for them to stay. They will self deport.
While some would leave, rest assured some would not. They are not working for major corporations, rather as peoples nannies, gardeners, cheap labor, etc.

Many a hypocrite is employing them, and paying them under the table to where E-Verify would not have an effect. So what the government should do is announce that in addition to something like E-Verify, they would also impose a $20,000 fine for anyone caught hiring an illegal alien on a personal level as in the aforementioned examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,962,798 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While some would leave, rest assured some would not. They are not working for major corporations, rather as peoples nannies, gardeners, cheap labor, etc.

Many a hypocrite is employing them, and paying them under the table to where E-Verify would not have an effect. So what the government should do is announce that in addition to something like E-Verify, they would also impose a $20,000 fine for anyone caught hiring an illegal alien on a personal level as in the aforementioned examples.
Absolutely. Fines for failing to use E-verify need to be stiff and mandatory. No exceptions. I normally include the following and I didn't for that post.

Including joe cheapskate homeowner who is too cheap to hire a licensed contractor. The same applies to the cheap snobby mommy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top