U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therightway View Post
They support Valedictorians or really smart illegals.

But for every smart one you have 100 that are public charges.

Look at the academic attainment of illegal Mexicans. It is below other immigrants.

Also the legal immigration is 1 million per year. The public doesnt want to double or triple that like the immigraiton bills almost always do to get GOP donors on board.

They'd support amnesty if you stopped the legal massive third world immigration as an alternative.

"End game is muscular enforcement, illegal pop shrinks some but most still here, then swap amnesty for cutting legal imm by 1/2"

"Yes, cut Immigration from 1 million/year to 500K - most of them spouses & minor kids of US citizens"

Although I believe that legal immigration needs to be curbed until our economy is back on track and the job market turns around I disagree that it should be in exchange for another amnesty for millions of illegal aliens. That is rewarding them for violating our immigration laws while telling potential legal immigrants that their quotas have been reduced to accommodate the illegal aliens that are already here. What would be the point of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,577,596 times
Here...I'll end this once and for all.

They are here anyway.
There is no way to get rid of them.
If they are citizens, they will pay taxes.
If they are citizens, they will have to buy health care like everyone else.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,945,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post

They are here anyway.

Exactly! But you are wasting your time trying to tell people this, just as I was.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:30 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:

They are here anyway.

The majority of them are from Mexico.
They are undereducated and have no skills.
They will have to be supported with government welfare programs.

It's not like you have lawyers and engineers crossing the border in the middle of the night here.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,277,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The majority of them are from Mexico.
They are undereducated and have no skills.
They will have to be supported with government welfare programs.

It's not like you have lawyers and engineers crossing the border in the middle of the night here.
They do if they can't make enough of a living in Mexico. It's all such a huge mess. They come over here looking for a better life, most likely it's out of the question doing here whatever they did back home, and even if they did, companies would pay them less just because they can. So they come up here and work fourteen-hour days in meat-packing plants and other such positions being exploited because they're making two cents more an hour than they were back home. But it's got to stop, I mean, when the glass is full, it's full.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM

405 posts, read 358,321 times
Quote:

They are here anyway.

What about mandatory e-verify for every business and business-death sanctions for hiring illegals. I bet that would get rid of them in a big hurry!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:

They are here anyway.

All wrong. That's like saying since the bank robber has the loot anyway why prosecute him for bank robbery but instead let him keep his ill gotten booty.

There is a way to get rid of them. E-verify in every work place (ends job magnet). Deny illegal aliens any benefits and remove birthright citizenship for their kids. Many if not most would self deport.

If American citizen were given back their jobs at a fair wage once illegals exit this country they in turn would be paying taxes. Illegal aliens will never pay in enough taxes to cover their social costs anyway. No need to worry about health insurance for them because most of them would be returning to their homelands.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,945,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All wrong. That's like saying since the bank robber has the loot anyway why prosecute him for bank robbery but instead let him keep his ill gotten booty.
Except of course that it's nothing like that. What are they robbing us of? Well, use of what's government-funded (aka taxpayer-funded). As the poster just finished saying (you quoted it for Pete's sake!), making them citizens would require them to pay taxes and for health care just like everyone else. Hence, they would be putting in what they take out.

Now, if we're going to argue that it still wouldn't be enough, the debate is then over the system in general, not immigrants, whether legal or illegal.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,729,202 times
I have no ready link for this, just bits and pieces I've picked up from Hispanic news channels.
Many Mexican illegals are returning to Mexico as the job market has picked up there. A lot of their children who attended American schools and learned English are finding good jobs in many of the industries starting up and expanding there.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I have no ready link for this, just bits and pieces I've picked up from Hispanic news channels.
Many Mexican illegals are returning to Mexico as the job market has picked up there. A lot of their children who attended American schools and learned English are finding good jobs in many of the industries starting up and expanding there.
Could be but I think many more are staying and are continuing to come hoping to get in on Obama's promised amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or