U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No one is saying that you're stupid. You seem to be getting defensive about nothing.

No one is whitewashing illegal entry into this country either. I'm just pointing out to you that you are going about it incorrectly. Being an illegal immigrant, in itself, is not a crime. This is not a minor distinction and the fact that you want to make a joke out our country's legal system and constitution is very concerning.
You're attitude and insinuations will not be read by me again. And yes you are trying to whitewash illegal immigration into our country by not sticking to the fact that illegal immigration is against the law and those here illegally are violating those laws. Have a nice life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're attitude and insinuations will not be read by me again. And yes you are trying to whitewash illegal immigration into our country by not sticking to the fact that illegal immigration is against the law and those here illegally are violating those laws. Have a nice life.
Stop reading what you want to read and read what I actually wrote. I never said any of those things. Stop trying to make a joke of the constitution by ignoring the difference between civil and criminal violations. Both are illegal... I never said otherwise.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:14 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I went to school in the US.

I never said that violating laws is not illegal. Nor did I state that any of what you said was my stand. Perhaps you should actually read what I posted and stop injecting your own ideas.

I said one thing. Illegal immigration is a civil violation and not a crime. I don't know how to say it any simpler so you can comprehend it better.
Uh caught here a 2ND time here illegally IS a felony. Sheesh!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not to mention the additional crimes the majority of illegals have to commit in order to live here.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
I'm not sure I buy the 60%, I have yet to meet anyone that supports this.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:27 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,150,498 times
I have never met anyone who supports illegal immigration either. There is a legal path to immigration that many people take. Why is it fair that others can cheat the system?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not to mention the additional crimes the majority of illegals have to commit in order to live here.
Yes. So is grand theft. But that's not what OldGlory and other people I quoted were talking about.

I just find it amusing when we have foreigners coming into this nation and making a joke of our legal system. If you live here, respect the nation's laws.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,945,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have never met anyone who supports illegal immigration either. There is a legal path to immigration that many people take. Why is it fair that others can cheat the system?
I say we should let them become citizens, if only to have them on file and "under the thumb" of the government along with the rest of us. Any disparity between what they take from and what they put into the economic strength of this nation should be addressed along with the same question as it pertains to us already. If the system's not working, it should be fixed, irrespective of immigration. That's not to say we shouldn't control our borders to the best of our ability. But yes, anyone desperate and determined enough to sneak in probably has a very understandable reason should we care to hear it.

"Fairness" depends on whether you look at things purely from a legal standpoint or from a moral one, which would require taking a step back and looking at more aspects of the situation than just "Is it legal in the borders of our country?" I suspect that around half if not the majority of the Mexican immigrants who came here legally would not have a problem with this idea, because unlike us, they know firsthand what it's like over there and what must be done and endured to get over here via our "path to citizenship". IOW, they would know better than we do why so many are willing to risk their lives to come here in lieu of taking the provided "path to citizenship". So unless they let bitterness override any morality in them, they would probably be all for it. Like with parenting, it's usually "No, I won't do that because I remember what it did to me", not "Well my dad hit me, so I don't see why my son should get a free pass".

Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 AM

I think the big problem is that after 911, the government clamped down so hard that it's really difficult to get in legally. You have to marry an American or be a rocket scientist (or something like that) or be a millionaire investor to get in. Most people have no legal way to immigrate.

If they loosened up on the laws and made them the way they were before, we wouldn't have this problem. We HAVE to know who is here, whether they have a criminal background, and all the other information we would have if they came here legally.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 AM

For the ones who are already here, the only thing they can do is let them apply for green cards so they can stay and work legally. Make them jump through all the hoops like the background check, the health exam, vaccinations, provide birth certificates, etc. Then issue green cards to the ones who pass.

Later on, if they decide to become citizens, the option is always there. You don't need to be a citizen just to live and work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or