U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM

23,602 posts, read 31,161,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You still didn't answer my question. What was your parent's first language?
Most likely English.

Not taking sides, but people who are profoundly deaf often have much more trouble with written English than hearing people would expect them to. It is more difficult for profoundly deaf people to become literate in any language, and errors that the OP is making are quite common for people in her situation. The first thing that leapt to mind when I read her posts is "I think she's deaf", not "I think she's foreign".

When I was at UT-Austin I worked in state offices in the summertime, and there were a lot of profoundly deaf people employed there. Their written English was very similar to blackf150's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM

154 posts, read 175,663 times
Quote:
You still didn't answer my question. What was your parent's first language?
I answered your question - "Yes".

The English was my parent first language and they are American (born in US, not immigrant).

Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Most likely English.

Not taking sides, but people who are profoundly deaf often have much more trouble with written English than hearing people would expect them to. It is more difficult for profoundly deaf people to become literate in any language, and errors that the OP is making are quite common for people in her situation. The first thing that leapt to mind when I read her posts is "I think she's deaf", not "I think she's foreign".

When I was at UT-Austin I worked in state offices in the summertime, and there were a lot of profoundly deaf people employed there. Their written English was very similar to blackf150's.
Yes, that's correct about English was my parent's first language.

Thank you for great explanation about profoundly deaf and written English issues.

I know Austin has larger deaf community and they have deaf school - awesome place to visit.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,053,723 times
Huffington Post is a reliable and non-biased source of information!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM

31,511 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Huffington Post is a reliable and non-biased source of information!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM

23,602 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
Yes, that's correct about English was my parent's first language.

Thank you for great explanation about profoundly deaf and written English issues.

I know Austin has larger deaf community and they have deaf school - awesome place to visit.
Indeed, you're welcome!

A lot of people don't realize that the primary way we learn our first language is by hearing it spoken by people around us. It's how we develop intuition for grammar and vocabulary. Deaf people do not have this linguistic foundation. Also, many deaf children start school without a language at all; they can't speak English because they have never heard it, and their parents didn't bother to learn ASL or to teach it to their children, so at that point it becomes incredibly difficult for them to acquire a language at all, let alone become fluent in both ASL and English.

Even if they do know ASL, the state of deaf education for so long was so absymal because teachers considered signing to be a crutch and forced these kids to lipread a language that many of them didn't know. So there's that too.

I studied applied linguistics extensively so I have a bit more insight into language acquisition than most people do.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM

2,827 posts, read 3,053,723 times
Quote:
Huffpo and MSNBC should join forces to create the most un-biased media empire in the world.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,993,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't matter what Americans say..it's what Congress passes and the President signs.
You're correct. There is often a disconnect between what the "public" wants and what the legislators ... state, federal or local ... do. We may see that on the Immigration proposals. We're definately seeing it on the gun control issue where the overwhelming majority of the nation, including NRA members, want to see one thing but the U.S. Congress will probably do the opposite.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Indeed, you're welcome!

A lot of people don't realize that the primary way we learn our first language is by hearing it spoken by people around us. It's how we develop intuition for grammar and vocabulary. Deaf people do not have this linguistic foundation. Also, many deaf children start school without a language at all; they can't speak English because they have never heard it, and their parents didn't bother to learn ASL or to teach it to their children, so at that point it becomes incredibly difficult for them to acquire a language at all, let alone become fluent in both ASL and English.

Even if they do know ASL, the state of deaf education for so long was so absymal because teachers considered signing to be a crutch and forced these kids to lipread a language that many of them didn't know. So there's that too.

I studied applied linguistics extensively so I have a bit more insight into language acquisition than most people do.
Yes, I was student at Gallaudet University in Washington DC and stayed about 8 months. I took ASL course that learn about deep deaf history and language history, also make explanation about different sign languages in ASL - like sign language "computer" is different between Northern California, Southern California and Alabama. It was harder course than ENG 101 because you have to make an academic with perfect sign language (much intensive for people with OCD due to repeat at same time) with different tutor method, however I managed to pass ENG 101 with much help from writing center and the English professor know about my language situation, but they treat me as highly expectation and she's very support of writing center for all students. I decided to withdrew from Gallaudet University last year because of my medical condition. I'm currently student at University of Alabama at Birmingham right now and will be junior this fall.

That's nice about you have much knowledge in linguistic and Gallaudet University has a lot of linguistic courses that student who major in ASL is required to take those course.

Some members have a hard time to understand about my view on immigration and end up to get in wrong way - such as assume me as support amnesty for all but I actually support amnesty to limited group (students, productive citizens).

Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You're correct. There is often a disconnect between what the "public" wants and what the legislators ... state, federal or local ... do. We may see that on the Immigration proposals. We're definately seeing it on the gun control issue where the overwhelming majority of the nation, including NRA members, want to see one thing but the U.S. Congress will probably do the opposite.
Yes, many Americans will never 100% happy with politicians - agree on some issues and disagree on some issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or