U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM

69,569 posts, read 79,886,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A pathway and letting them become citizens are two different things. Have you paid much attention to what is being proposed in regards to what they will have to do to even apply for citizenship? It will take them years and while they are applying they will get no government assistance of any kind. So, it isn't as simple as you would like to think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM

69,569 posts, read 79,886,753 times
Quote:
Sorry I should have provided a better link. The story and the poll is from the Associated Press and was carried on numerous news sites today. The poll was done by research company GfK.

The Associated Press is kind of a major news source, I think.

AP-GfK Poll: Most back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants as Republican opposition declines

Link to the poll:

THE AP-GfK POLL January, 2013
Conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications
yes, AP is a major news source, also about as liberal as a source can be. As most of us realize, if we pay much attention and why I take these polls with a grain of salt; any study or any poll can have the results a group would like them to have, simply by asking the right people the right questions.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,718,449 times
Quote:
Yes it is speculation, because never before in history have 20 million people ever been deported from one country at one time. That type of mass migration of people has only happened in times of war, and it usually hasn't gone smoothly. To put it in perspective the roundup Japanese Americans during WW2 involved only 120,000 people. This operation would be 200 x bigger, and the Japanese were 99% cooperative. There is no guarantee that 20 million illegal immigrants would be that cooperative.

Again it's just not going to happen because its not possible. If you people could get that though your heads, then we might be able to come up with a real solution to the problem.
Nobody is proposing a round-em up and head em out approach. Every post in here has been about deterrents.

Quote:
Thats the current policy.
Yes, that is the current law, however that law is not being followed based on policy. Why not simply have policy follow the law?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,023,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Read this slowly....it is against the law to hire illegal immigrants.
On this we agree. And I believe the most effective tool to most quickly curtail the influx and/or presence of illegal aliens is to adopt and then enforce harsh penalties for employers who enable the illegals to enter/remain in the country. Let's 'dry up' the opportunities for illegals and then, when we get close to that point, we may really learn what supply of foreign workers we should allow into the country in the specific categories.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,327,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
Yes, I was student at Gallaudet University in Washington DC and stayed about 8 months. I took ASL course that learn about deep deaf history and language history, also make explanation about different sign languages in ASL - like sign language "computer" is different between Northern California, Southern California and Alabama. It was harder course than ENG 101 because you have to make an academic with perfect sign language (much intensive for people with OCD due to repeat at same time) with different tutor method, however I managed to pass ENG 101 with much help from writing center and the English professor know about my language situation, but they treat me as highly expectation and she's very support of writing center for all students. I decided to withdrew from Gallaudet University last year because of my medical condition. I'm currently student at University of Alabama at Birmingham right now and will be junior this fall.

That's nice about you have much knowledge in linguistic and Gallaudet University has a lot of linguistic courses that student who major in ASL is required to take those course.

Some members have a hard time to understand about my view on immigration and end up to get in wrong way - such as assume me as support amnesty for all but I actually support amnesty to limited group (students, productive citizens).
We don't see eye to eye on the immigration issue, but congratulations on your success so far and I'm sending good wishes for your continued academic success. Too many profoundly deaf people fall through the cracks of a system that wasn't designed for them and doesn't take their needs into account. I'm glad to see you are succeeding in spite of that.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,361,512 times
The rule of law says we shoud be senignthem back but we didn't .I really doubt these polls so often quoted.Bet alot are illegal voting for those poll numbers. Why not just put it to a vote of teh american people for real.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM

154 posts, read 176,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We don't see eye to eye on the immigration issue, but congratulations on your success so far and I'm sending good wishes for your continued academic success. Too many profoundly deaf people fall through the cracks of a system that wasn't designed for them and doesn't take their needs into account. I'm glad to see you are succeeding in spite of that.
Thanks.

It took many years for me to ability to communicate in sign language and written in English language after delayed learning and special education (1970's style law). Today, they are starting to put deaf students in regular classes with hearing students (with accommodation like interpreters) instead of traditional special education class. I met one deaf guy who had been in special education class from K to 8 from 1970's and 1980's so his parent decided to put him to deaf school after trouble with communication and writing. He didn't graduate until 22 years old and had to enrolled at adult school to improve the reading and writing. Finally, he managed to received a college degree after many years of struggling.

Many deaf schools are tightening the educational standard and require all deaf students to receive same lessons as hearing students - like all students are required to pass Algebra I, Algebra II, American Literature, British Literature, Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, etc instead of basic courses that have no hope at all. The teacher hiring is getting stringent now and they want to ensure that deaf students can receive a well score on graduation exam - our state require all students to pass the graduation exam to receive a HS degree. The deaf students who receive a HS degree has increasing, oppose to certificate or occupational diploma because both of old degrees are no longer function after many deaf people unable to find a job.

After many years of flaws in deaf education, there are many deaf people live under welfare - SSI, Medicaid, food stamp and Section 8 for many years, however well educated deaf people could manage to get out of welfare system after find a better employment and some poorly educated deaf people still work under manual labor with a lot of help from VR and job training. I know many deaf people work for government.

I rather to find a better employment and ability to become a productive citizen than stuck with minimum wage job or welfare system that I already have enough with those.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,327,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
Thanks.

It took many years for me to ability to communicate in sign language and written in English language after delayed learning and special education (1970's style law). Today, they are starting to put deaf students in regular classes with hearing students (with accommodation like interpreters) instead of traditional special education class. I met one deaf guy who had been in special education class from K to 8 from 1970's and 1980's so his parent decided to put him to deaf school after trouble with communication and writing. He didn't graduate until 22 years old and had to enrolled at adult school to improve the reading and writing. Finally, he managed to received a college degree after many years of struggling.

Many deaf schools are tightening the educational standard and require all deaf students to receive same lessons as hearing students - like all students are required to pass Algebra I, Algebra II, American Literature, British Literature, Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, etc instead of basic courses that have no hope at all. The teacher hiring is getting stringent now and they want to ensure that deaf students can receive a well score on graduation exam - our state require all students to pass the graduation exam to receive a HS degree. The deaf students who receive a HS degree has increasing, oppose to certificate or occupational diploma because both of old degrees are no longer function after many deaf people unable to find a job.

After many years of flaws in deaf education, there are many deaf people live under welfare - SSI, Medicaid, food stamp and Section 8 for many years, however well educated deaf people could manage to get out of welfare system after find a better employment and some poorly educated deaf people still work under manual labor with a lot of help from VR and job training. I know many deaf people work for government.

I rather to find a better employment and ability to become a productive citizen than stuck with minimum wage job or welfare system that I already have enough with those.

I agree; we are wasting a lot of potential by not properly educating the deaf. Being deaf has nothing to do with someone's intelligence and it should not hinder someone's ability to make a living.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,131,855 times
Quote:
This is a false poll.

Most Americans are against it.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,023,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is a false poll.

Most Americans are against it.
So, which poll are you citing? How do you know "Most Americans are against it."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or