Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

At a rally for immigration reform at the Capitol on Wednesday, many of the speakers and performers will be Latinos with connections to immigrant rights. Legendary labor rights activist Dolores Huerta and Grammy-winning Latin pop artist Olga Tañon will be there, as well as a multitude of other prominent, bilingual Latinos.
But the keynote speaker at the rally, Benjamin Jealous, comes from a different civil rights tradition. He's the president and CEO of the NAACP, an organization that has historically focused on black civil rights.

Why the NAACP Gets Top Billing at an Immigration Rally

Really? Seriously?

I just hope Americans wake up and see what the NAACP has turned int to: they threw American Blacks under the bus IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I just hope Americans wake up and see what the NAACP has turned int to: they threw American Blacks under the bus IMHO.
As the late conservative African-American radio show host Terry Anderson once lamented, the modern NAACP isn't about helping Blacks, it's about hating White people.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I have a couple of black friends who are (figuratively) ripping up NAACP membership cards over this.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have a couple of black friends who are (figuratively) ripping up NAACP membership cards over this.
The old, "I have a black friend" line.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
The old, "I have a black friend" line.
Which doesn't mean the NAACP cares about the many hurt American Black people who WANT to do the right thing but can't since many employers like their illegal alien "slaves". Yes: I said the S word since illegals WILL put up with stuff that Americans don't have to.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
NAACP shouldn't exist. They are only here to divide & put one group against another. Something the original NAACP never stood for.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
The NAACP is about the money. Not much money in addressing black issues these days I guess. Have to be broad base liberal organization to keep the dollars rolling in. That means advocating for gay marriage and illegals. Issues generally speaking many Blacks disagree with or are harmed by.

The way I look at it Blacks vote overwhelmingly for Dems so they must not be that concerned about amnesty.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Blacks prior to the civil rights era fought issues like these head on. Unfortunately today they remain blindsided.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
At a rally for immigration reform at the Capitol on Wednesday, many of the speakers and performers will be Latinos with connections to immigrant rights. Legendary labor rights activist Dolores Huerta and Grammy-winning Latin pop artist Olga Tañon will be there, as well as a multitude of other prominent, bilingual Latinos.
But the keynote speaker at the rally, Benjamin Jealous, comes from a different civil rights tradition. He's the president and CEO of the NAACP, an organization that has historically focused on black civil rights.

Why the NAACP Gets Top Billing at an Immigration Rally

Really? Seriously?

LMAO....too funny.

First of all, they're a private organization. They can focus on anything they please. It's up to your or me to tell them what kind of rallies they can attend and support? Since when?

The "throwing under the bus" comment cracked me up. I'd venture to guess that 98% of black people don't belong to the NAACP, so how in the hell can they throw blacks under the bus? The NAACP has to get a consensus from all black people before they can take a stand on an issue?

Super asinine. Can't make a lick of sense out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
As the late conservative African-American radio show host Terry Anderson once lamented, the modern NAACP isn't about helping Blacks, it's about hating White people.
Pffffffft.....that's self flattery bullsh*t. Some black conservative says something ridiculous to make you feel better about yourself ("they hate you"), and you run with it. Hell, their chairman is half white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LMAO....oh yea...thousands of blacks are doing it.
Quote:
Which doesn't mean the NAACP cares about the many hurt American Black people who WANT to do the right thing but can't since many employers like their illegal alien "slaves". Yes: I said the S word since illegals WILL put up with stuff that Americans don't have to.
Oh man...you're on a roll today. You need your own comedy show.

The NAACP doesn't have a hold on black people. If the overwhelming majority of blacks are opposed to illegal immigration, the NAACP isn't about to stop them from standing up against it in some form or another. If blacks aren't making that stand, you should assume that they either don't care about the issue or they're apathetic about it.

If black people want to do the "right thing" (whatever the hell that means) they're more than capable of doing it without permission from the NAACP.

Everyone in this country has been apathetic about illegal immigration for the most part, so why do you expect African Americans to be super pro-active when whites weren't? You can go down the line at industry after industry from textiles, to cooking in restaurants, to meatpacking....illegals put MILLIONS of whites out of work. Liberal, Kansas and Hereford, Texas (big meatpacking towns) have never had any any black populations worth noting, and yet i don't see white people taking to the streets about the sudden hordes of illegal labor in their towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
NAACP shouldn't exist. They are only here to divide & put one group against another. Something the original NAACP never stood for.
"Shouldn't exist?"

What kind of nonsensical drivel is that? Who are we to say which organizations should or shouldn't exist?

Amazing how the "original NAACP" is getting so much love from white folks nowadays. Maybe i should post a few videos of some of the marches they sponsored back in the Civil Rights Era so we can get a better picture of what that love once looked like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The NAACP is about the money. Not much money in addressing black issues these days I guess. Have to be broad base liberal organization to keep the dollars rolling in. That means advocating for gay marriage and illegals. Issues generally speaking many Blacks disagree with or are harmed by.

The way I look at it Blacks vote overwhelmingly for Dems so they must not be that concerned about amnesty.
Welcome to America. What took you so long to realize that? It's ALWAYS about the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Blacks prior to the civil rights era fought issues like these head on. Unfortunately today they remain blindsided.
No, they're apathetic, just like white people.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Just go to Miami and see how African Americans were marginalized by the Cubans. No one cared. They were squeezed out of decent subsidized housing by Cuban refugees. Jobs. Same thing. Now, it is occurring across the country, no one cares.

Everyone thinks Marco Rubio is so great.... What is African American unemployment like in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration