Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times

Advertisements

Isn't "Any child born on U.S soil" in the constitution somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
The laws we have need to be enforced. Until I joined this forum, I had no idea it took so long to legally come to the USA. This I don't understand but still, if that is what it takes then those who want to come here should take each and every step one by one and do it right. Once the laws are enforced then and only then should other things be looked into to find away to shorten the waiting time.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM

447 posts, read 798,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
The immigration laws need to be strictly enforced. Let's try that for awhile, see how it works, and then measure the results. At least then we will be able to make an educated guess as to what is wrong.

i agree with you 100 % , yet wonder if the proceedures should be reconsidered.
i am also against illegal immigration, of any form, yet there are people who do want to immigrate, and i have heard from some of them that it actually took years and years to immigrate.
i am not against the idea that people who want to be american and are willing to do it legally, people ,who some , would be willing to defend her with their lives, and some who already here legally are serving, and some who have died protecting freedom should be able to immigrate .
legal immigrants who arent even "citizens "yet are protecting our ideals.
what better proof do they need to be a citizen?.

what i am saying is , yes, immigration laws should be enforced, but in these days and ages,the wait time and the red tape holds many legal immigrants back.
i dont think that was what our forefathers were thinking when they formed this land.

trust me, if you've read any of my posts you should know exactly how passionate and how opposed to illegal immigration i am.

i've just been thinking ,maybe we should review the laws,and see if we can make them better.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Dear Vivski: After having some thoughts about this last night the following ideas came to my mind.

1 First of all, both governments Mexican and American need to sit down and have some serious talk and accept that this is an issue, where every player shares some of the blame, then they could coordinate their efforts and make an investigation in the areas that have heavily illegal immigration trends, they could use techniques similar to those that are used in marketing studies to find out, who's migrating and why to know exactly the causes and motives.

2 After finding that out and gathering some useful data perhaps both could come with a working plan to solve this problem, some ideas that came to mind are that being members of the Nafta, citizens of Mexico, USA and Canada should have some special privileges because whether we accept it or not, we all depend on each other, on the American side some working immigration reforms could be enacted like opening immigration offices in those places that immigrate heavily to the united states, people would be received and they would receive a detailed explanation on what they need to do to legally go and work in the USA, they should be examined for infectious diseases, their criminimal record investigated and they should fill out a form explaining their reasons to immigrate and explaining what skills do they have or what are the jobs they are interested in (agriculture, construction, etc)
maybe the mexican government could cooperate providing some assistance as well and start some english courses which would be a requisite to legal immigration.

3 A path to citizenship should be offered so people can have an incentive to assimilate and become Americans if that is their wish.

4 The Mexican government could ease our own immigration Laws for American and Canadian citizens, they should be able to buy and own land without any restriction, and they should have a way to legally come and work in Mexico as well, there are a lot of high tech good paying jobs here who could benefit from skilled American or Canadian workers who are interested in immigrating to Mexico

5 The mexican government also could open some offices in the United States to provide welfare services for those Mexicans that are currently working there, I read in the news not so long ago that the GDF (Mexico city's government) opened a Migrant House in Los Angeles, where Mexicans can Pay taxes and receive welfare services, this is a great idea imho.

Finally, I think that if it was easier for Mexicans to come and go freely to the United States a lot of people wouldn't stay most people does it because they do it illegally and it's very hard to arrive to America (a lot of people loose their lifes or end seriously injured or maimed because of this) so once they are there they stay because of fear but if it was easier for them to do it legally and in an ordered way most would just go work and come back, small rural communities that are migrant exporters would benefit from this and less people would have to immigrate because of hard conditions so most people would do it on their will rather than being forced to immigrate.

Those are the humble thoughts I had yesterday I hope someone finds them useful.

Love and Light!
bravo!!!!!!!!
take a bow.
i am very impressed with your thoughts.

some may disagree, but if you were here, instead of mexico, i would vote for you in the senate simply on this response....

i am glad you took the time to consider what i am asking, rather than simply rushing to post.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

140 posts, read 111,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Isn't "Any child born on U.S soil" in the constitution somewhere?
We certainly do need another amendment!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
No, they need to be enforced! Then and only then should they be reviewed for any modifications.

i do agree with what you are saying, but imagine deporting 20 + million people..
i just cant imagine it myself, without seeing problems.
what i would suggest about the enforcement , is if anyone is caught committing any other crime than being here illegally then they should be deported, but if their only crime is being here illegally, then maybe we should consider an other option for them and their families.

i am not opposed to a person wanting a better life, but i definetly am opposed to someone hurting other people, or committing random crimes.
how we prove someone is worthy is another issue, i am unsure of at this time, but i do feel there is a need for updating our laws...

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
There is a flaw in this type of thinking. It assumes immigration law eminates from the desires of those who wish to immigrate. This is incorrect. Immigration law is drafted from the perspective of the host country. It is the citizenry of the host country that decides how many, who, and for what purpose they want immigration, if any.

Complaining that immigration law is too tough on potential immigrants is like complaining that becoming a doctor is too tough because it requires education. Or, more aptly, it is like complaining that getting a credit card is too tough because of all the paperwork and credit history requirements.

It doesn't matter whether potential immigrants think our requirements are too tough. It's up to us, as the host country, to set those requirements. If potential immigrants don't like these requirements, that's just tough.

ok, point taken.
i do agree that no-one but the american public should decide U.S . immigration law.
and i would never suggest that mass immigration would be ok.
i do think that any immigrant who wishes to come here should be able to contribute to their new countries economy, and be able to support their families without aid.
i know exactly what illegal immigration has cost our family, by a violent illegal, but i cannot believe all are like that man...i respectfully say that maybe some should be given the chance to prove their worth....and their loyalty.
there are some out there who do want to be true americans.
maybe they didnt do it right by coming here illegally but i bet if given the chance to make their lives right, without fear of deportation ,they would.
sure there are others who have come here with bad intentions, and i wonder why the immigration laws are not enforced in those cases (my husbands offender has been arrested three times for violent crimes yet never deported once) and that angers me.
but i choose not to judge them all as a whole.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
We should stop every form of immigration until we get a handle on the mess it has become. Just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
As others have stated we have plenty of laws on the books, they just need to be enforced. We take in two million immigrants legally every year, there's almost another two million every year in various visa holders, many of which permanently overstay their visa's.

America's infrastructure can't keep up with the legal immigrants let alone the three million that come here illegally every year.

The laws are fine, the law enforcers are not.
i have seen the numbers, and in my case, i started seeing them in 1996 long before some of the anti illegal crowd even opened their eyes.long before the terrorists who were here illegally on out dated visas murdered thousands on 9-11.
the law enforcers are not entirely to blame.
i would disagree with this, for one reason, after talking to a few police officers, district attorneys, civil attorneys, ice officers, and victim advocates, i have learned that it is not they who make the decisions.
the city councilors, the mayors, the governors, the politicians and the president are really the ones responsible for the mess we are in.
the law enforcers are literally standing in awe with their hands tied.
they arrest the illegals who are driving drunk and killing people, or murdering them in cold blood, yet the judges let them go...they ask people for their "papers" when they are pulled over for breaking a law , yet city councilors and mayors tell them it is unconstitutional....they are as dumbfounded as we are, to why they are not given the right to do their jobs, to protect and serve.
what i've heard from politicians that i have written about my husbands case is that they are sorry for our tragedy, but it is not their responsibility that it happened or their responsibility that nothing had been done a bout deporting the criminal.
no-one is accountable, yet we blame the illegal for this, instead of confronting our own government ....they fail us...they pass the buck...they point fingers, yet never once have they ever taken the blame.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
You ask if the laws should be revised or at least visited.

How the heck would we know? If the law is on the book, and then never enforced, how do we know if it's a good law or if it does anything for us?

We need to set a precedence and enforce what we have. Then we can evaluate to see if it's a just and sound law.

Every law, when written, should have a provision that it be reviewed every so many years so that it can conform to current conditions. But unless enforced, a review would do nothing.

good point........but........
maybe we should require officials (mainly politicians)to know the law and enforce them.
and for those politicians who insist on ignoring them by allowing sanctuary cities and states inspite of the laws,we should impeach them for failure to honor their oathe.
i just dont think some laws designed for the past is suitable for the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration