Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times

Advertisements

i work with a beautiful lady, who came to america 30 years ago legally from mexico.
i am trying to learn spanish from here as it would help me in my job.
after talking to her about the immigration issue, i have begun to understand more of what is going on.
i love immigrants who love america.
my co worker is one of them but what i have learned is the time waiting to get papers can be stressful
just recently her mother in law was very ill, yet in order for them to drive to mexico, they had to get permits to even drive across the border.not from american officials but mexican officials.
even one day that the visa is expired, people who have followed the rules getting here are deported at the border.
there is something being done, and officials on both sides are doing something about border security...but...................
i guess the question is this....how many of you really feel the immigration laws are designed for today?
and how many of you would like to revue and revise them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
I do believe they need to be looked over.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Me thinks the same way

Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
as it is offtopic, i'll reply to you in PM
I'm just messin' with you Paisa. I believe the first instant where the laws of immigration were messed up is when they said that anyone born on U.S soil automatically becomes a citizen.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 20,565 times
The current immigration laws are not being enforced. That is why I must learn Spanish to compete for work, shop, converse, etc. This is no longer America it is MexAmerica...so I heard or read somewhere. I really would enjoy learning Spanish of the Barrio but quite a few latinos don't want English speaking Americans to learn the language. That way they can talk about you while they are smiling at you.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSenior View Post
The current immigration laws are not being enforced. That is why I must learn Spanish to compete for work, shop, converse, etc. This is no longer America it is MexAmerica...so I heard or read somewhere. I really would enjoy learning Spanish of the Barrio but quite a few latinos don't want English speaking Americans to learn the language. That way they can talk about you while they are smiling at you.
is this so really? that isn't fair!! while I do believe learning new languages is good (I speak 3 myself) I don't think you should make fun of people who don't speak it or use it as a tool to talk behind their backs.

I've been in L.A. and I like to go to the downtown and speak spanish with the people when I hear them talking in spanish, it is strange because they look at me like how come you speak spanish that way? where did you learn it? I guess it is because I have (balding) light brown hair and blue eyes I've never mentioned that before because I don't really care about that stuff as I consider myself a soul inhabiting a temporarily fleshy container, then I tell them that I'm from mexico and they find that weird, I wonder why??

Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Dear Vivski, regarding what you said:

how many of you really feel the immigration laws are designed for today?

I'm going to give this a serious thought before giving you an answer, I hope you don't care this answer comes from a Mexican citizen.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM

140 posts, read 111,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i work with a beautiful lady, who came to america 30 years ago legally from mexico.
i am trying to learn spanish from here as it would help me in my job.
after talking to her about the immigration issue, i have begun to understand more of what is going on.
i love immigrants who love america.
my co worker is one of them but what i have learned is the time waiting to get papers can be stressful
just recently her mother in law was very ill, yet in order for them to drive to mexico, they had to get permits to even drive across the border.not from american officials but mexican officials.
even one day that the visa is expired, people who have followed the rules getting here are deported at the border.
there is something being done, and officials on both sides are doing something about border security...but...................
i guess the question is this....how many of you really feel the immigration laws are designed for today?
The immigration laws need to be strictly enforced. Let's try that for awhile, see how it works, and then measure the results. At least then we will be able to make an educated guess as to what is wrong.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
I used to have difficulties being "judged" by Mexicans. I spoke Spanish without a "gringo" accent---yet I was obviously not Mexican. More than one person took into account my light complexion and my odd accent and decided I was Argentinian. After a while, I quit arguing. I HAD spent time there, probably did pick up the accent---and it was easy to just agree with them....

Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 AM

Dear Vivski: After having some thoughts about this last night the following ideas came to my mind.

1 First of all, both governments Mexican and American need to sit down and have some serious talk and accept that this is an issue, where every player shares some of the blame, then they could coordinate their efforts and make an investigation in the areas that have heavily illegal immigration trends, they could use techniques similar to those that are used in marketing studies to find out, who's migrating and why to know exactly the causes and motives.

2 After finding that out and gathering some useful data perhaps both could come with a working plan to solve this problem, some ideas that came to mind are that being members of the Nafta, citizens of Mexico, USA and Canada should have some special privileges because whether we accept it or not, we all depend on each other, on the American side some working immigration reforms could be enacted like opening immigration offices in those places that immigrate heavily to the united states, people would be received and they would receive a detailed explanation on what they need to do to legally go and work in the USA, they should be examined for infectious diseases, their criminimal record investigated and they should fill out a form explaining their reasons to immigrate and explaining what skills do they have or what are the jobs they are interested in (agriculture, construction, etc)
maybe the mexican government could cooperate providing some assistance as well and start some english courses which would be a requisite to legal immigration.

3 A path to citizenship should be offered so people can have an incentive to assimilate and become Americans if that is their wish.

4 The Mexican government could ease our own immigration Laws for American and Canadian citizens, they should be able to buy and own land without any restriction, and they should have a way to legally come and work in Mexico as well, there are a lot of high tech good paying jobs here who could benefit from skilled American or Canadian workers who are interested in immigrating to Mexico

5 The mexican government also could open some offices in the United States to provide welfare services for those Mexicans that are currently working there, I read in the news not so long ago that the GDF (Mexico city's government) opened a Migrant House in Los Angeles, where Mexicans can Pay taxes and receive welfare services, this is a great idea imho.

Finally, I think that if it was easier for Mexicans to come and go freely to the United States a lot of people wouldn't stay most people does it because they do it illegally and it's very hard to arrive to America (a lot of people loose their lifes or end seriously injured or maimed because of this) so once they are there they stay because of fear but if it was easier for them to do it legally and in an ordered way most would just go work and come back, small rural communities that are migrant exporters would benefit from this and less people would have to immigrate because of hard conditions so most people would do it on their will rather than being forced to immigrate.

Those are the humble thoughts I had yesterday I hope someone finds them useful.

Love and Light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration