U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Article (broken link)

Quote:
One of the toughest state laws targeting illegal immigrants takes effect Thursday in Oklahoma, prompting efforts by immigrants trying to block it and work by state agencies to comply.

The law makes it a felony to transport or shelter illegal immigrants. Businesses, which are barred by federal law from hiring illegal immigrants, can be sued by a legal worker who is displaced by an illegal one.

The measure denies illegal immigrants certain public benefits such as rental assistance and fuel subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Whether or not this is an unreasonably "mean" law I will leave up to others to decide, Certainly it's not unusually harsh in the context of the various nations around the world. I don't know much about Oklahoma, but I can say that this certainly reflects a population becoming frustrated with things. It will probably be challenged on constitutional grounds.

But perhaps this will send a message to the "Feds" in Washington. If they don't "like" the way things are going in Oklahoma, perhaps they'll take action, and get the immigration situation back into some semblance of control, so that frustrated local citizens don't have to make laws like this. It could just "shake things up"....

Remember, the Minutemen shouldn't even exist. They reflect a Federal Government that's not doing its job. This Oklahoma law, it seems to me, is a reaction to the Feds, also---The Feds who, if they were enforcing Federal law, would make such state laws unneccessary...

Good lesson in not letting things "slide"--it only makes things more unpleasant when we finally are forced to act.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Great...now they're going to come to Texas. Texas needs a law like that but politicians would be too scared to pass one because the Hispanics in the state would have a hissy fit.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Good law it should be reapplied in all 50 states

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 AM

273 posts, read 178,299 times
But how will I get my black market tamalies from now on?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
But how will I get my black market tamalies from now on?
Make you own------and, sell 'em for $$$

Pablo's Taqueria

Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
How can a law which enforces immigration laws be "mean"? Denying social entitlements and holding employers and illegals accountable is certainly not mean, it's justified and perfectly acceptable. Go to some other countrys and you will see just what "mean" is. People need to wake up and realize that the US is not able nor should it try to "save" the entire world. If the majority of people don't agree with the current laws they need to change the laws, not break them.

I also got a kick out of this part of the article
<<Munoz says she's particularly concerned about a provision that gives local police the authority to check immigration status. Such policies create fear among all Hispanics, including those in the country legally, she says.>>

What a joke that it. I know plenty of Hispanic folks that want illegals out of here. To have someone check your legal status is reasonable. How many times do we all have to prove who we are? You give your social security number, proof of residence, etc. all the time. Big deal. If you have nothing to hide there is no reason to fear. If you are unjustly harrassed you've always got the ACLU and about a million activisit groups out there ready to render aide. Another line of bull from folks wanting there own way regardless of what the laws are and the majority want. Boo hoo...

Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 AM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Article (broken link)
boy boy boy. I wish VA and NC, wait every state would follow suit. Send a message to these illegals, Your %$&^ aint welcome here!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 AM

238 posts, read 1,018,881 times
I understand that they have identified an activist Judge who will stop the law from taking effect after a last minute hearing today. No matter how many laws are passed, nothing will get done because the laws will be stopped by liberal activist Judges, or the Border Patrol will be told to stand down by government officals.

Last edited by goodtype; 10-31-2007 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Fantastic Law--

GO Oklahoma!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or