U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

318 posts, read 457,334 times

Advertisements

Do you support the comprehensive immigration reform bill as developed by the GANG OF EIGHT?

Then answer me this:

They said that all illegal aliens who arrived before 12/31/11 can apply for a special temporary protected status. With up to 20 million illegals in America who could apply for this status, many who use fake identities, how will their backgrounds be investigated? They used a number of fake Social Security Numbers and did not stay long in each job, how will we know what their back taxes should be? Even if we knew, how could we get them to pay? Do they have thousands sitting in a bank account somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Do you support the comprehensive immigration reform bill as developed by the GANG OF EIGHT?

Then answer me this:

They said that all illegal aliens who arrived before 12/31/11 can apply for a special temporary protected status. With up to 20 million illegals in America who could apply for this status, many who use fake identities, how will their backgrounds be investigated? They used a number of fake Social Security Numbers and did not stay long in each job, how will we know what their back taxes should be? Even if we knew, how could we get them to pay? Do they have thousands sitting in a bank account somewhere?
Exactly. I think what this 'check' will involve is taking their fingerprints and checking their records for violent offenses. Millions will get away with multiple misdemeanors, fraud, etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:

Then answer me this:

I am sure it won't be thorough, and I am sure they will get fraudulent tax refunds, credit cards ETC ....to pay

Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM

318 posts, read 457,334 times
Anyone who supports the bill have an answer?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,989,487 times
Quote:

Then answer me this:

The "devil" is always in the details. Take the time to read through the 844 page legislation proposed yesterday ... and the answers to your questions should become clearer.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,940,646 times
Quote:

Then answer me this:

What if they file their back taxes and are then entitled to "refunds" because of the earned income tax credit and dependent child credits? The $500 fee is a joke in itself. They decided not to include binational same sex couples in the Gang of 8 bill. Of course, an illegal alien just HAS to have more rights than a native born american citizen. This country sucks.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
I don't support it, and they won't be doing much of any kind of background check.

The illegals are being expected to pay a mere $500 fine for having broken the laws of this country and that wouldn't begin to pay for any kind of background check.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What if they file their back taxes and are then entitled to "refunds" because of the earned income tax credit and dependent child credits? The $500 fee is a joke in itself. They decided not to include binational same sex couples in the Gang of 8 bill. Of course, an illegal alien just HAS to have more rights than a native born american citizen. This country sucks.
This is great for the illegals -- many will become citizens just in time to enjoy a very nice retirement in the USA complete with social security checks. Many will have paid in just 10 years and be able to collect checks for the rest of their lives.

Adding millions of social security recipients who may have paid extremely little in is about as stupid as can be.

I strongly suspect that felony document fraud is now being downgraded into a non-crime. Stolen identities will also not be a felony crime if it's foreigners doing it. $500 for a fine is a total joke. Most illegals were happy to pay smugglers much much more than that to break into this country. And illegals will be advised to claim they were never paid over a certain amount and so don't owe taxes at all -- and yes, many will be demanding their EITC checks.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM

6,936 posts, read 6,989,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't support it, and they won't be doing much of any kind of background check.

The illegals are being expected to pay a mere $500 fine for having broken the laws of this country and that wouldn't begin to pay for any kind of background check.
Look before you leap. Read the legislation and it's provisions, before throwing stones at it. That is, if you're truly interested in discussing this issue rationally.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I agree. We're being pissed on by our government yet again and being sold down the river for cheap labor from mostly uneducated peasants, many of whom do not even speak English.

Are these really the kind of people we want staying here? Do people even understand the knock-on effects from this cohort sending their children to school? It's not like their kids are going to grow up to be brain surgeons and engineers in large numbers...no no no. A child's success has a hell of a lot to do with the educational attainment of his/her parents, and a lot of these illegals dropped out of elementary school. We'll be looking at another generation of burger flippers and landscapers, though they won't even get that far since as U.S. citizens they'll be less desirable as employees than the next wave of illegal peasants. And if people think that next wave isn't coming, they're idiots.

I realize that DOMA hasn't been thrown out yet, but how incredibly convenient that this bill is being rushed through at breakneck speed, as if lives were at stake, before the SCOTUS has a chance to rule on DOMA and immigration issues for binational same-sex couples all of a sudden become a topic that requires addressing. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Basically what that tells me is that, at least to the government, heterosexual Hispanic illegals > homosexual American citizens/LPRs/legal immigrants.

Gotcha.

Thanks for clearing that one up, Congress. Here's a middle finger I found in my pocket...just for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration